Was the Tipitaka first written in Matale Aluvihara in Sri Lanka?

Another controversy in Sri Lanka is the debate about the place the Tipitaka written into ola lives for the first time.
Popular belief is that Tipitaka was written in Matale Aluvihara. The new argument is, it was written in Matula Alu Lena.

The following video in the Sinhalese language.

1 Like

Is there some significant benefit to “winning” such an argument?
How does it affect one’s study of the suttas in Sri Lanka?

5 Likes

For those of us who don’t do Sinhala, could you tell us if these places were far apart, and whether they are similar/different cultural significance?

Thanks, and with metta

5 Likes

61 Km from Kegalle (Matula Lena) to Matale (Matale Aluvihara)
Please Google “distance from Matale from Kegalle”.

2 Likes

They are very similar but the argument it appears Matula Alu Lena has more support. (This is by the pro Matula Alulena supporters.)

• Matale Aluvihara cave is too small to support 500 monks
  • Matale Aluvigara is dark
  • It appears Tipitaka is written in Gold leves. ( I can’t beleive this) The legend said that the pile of Ola leaves Tipitaka was more than the size of five (three?) elephants.
2 Likes

Whether it was ever written in gold I could not say; but gold is an excellent writing material. It is soft and highly malleable, and may be pounded very thin and inscribed with small and precise letters. It’s also durable, except of course from the danger of thieves! King Pukkusati was, according to commentaries, said to have had many suttas written on gold leaf, which were buried in his stupa. I want to believe!

6 Likes

Well, then you are a strong supporter of Matula Lana theory.
They argue that the village Matula was a famous place for gold craftsmen.
They believe these gold scripts are hidden in the cave!
Just imagine gold weighing three or five elephants!
Having said I have seen women donating their gold bangles to the temple when they building a new Stupa.
:grinning:
I personally believe the Ola leaf theory. My birth details was written in an Ola leaf. I lost it, unfortunately. I did not know how valuable it was. I believe it was stolen by a person who was interested in antique artefacts.

2 Likes

I think the five elephants would be a rather more impressive spectacle, for their total weight would amount to that of a mere 1.5 cubic metres of gold.

3 Likes

Godd thinking Bhante.
Weight of an average Asian elephent 5.4 tons.
Wieight of a one cubic meter of gold 19.3 tons
:grin:

Well ,I made a quick cacluation to see how much it will cost to achieve your dream project of writing Tipitaka in gold plates.
cost of an ounce of gold $1300.00
Ounce in 20 tons = 32000X20
Total cost $832,000,000.00
:sunglasses:
But if I assume an average elephant is about 8 s.m then the above figure hase to be multiplied by 40.
That is about three billion dollars. Only way we can achieve this is only by forcing Bill Gate to become a Buddhist!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Okay, well then, maybe just half the Tipitaka!

But seriously, even though doing the whole thing seems improbable, is it so unlikely that certain passages were inscribed on gold (or maybe bronze) and buried, and may be found today? Still, until there’s some evidence it’s just a hypothesis.

5 Likes

Teruwan Saranayi,
Why do you have to calculate gold prices in current exchange rates?
Anyway this question does not mean I am a supporter of these controversies

So what is your personal opinion anyway?

I have to wait for further facts before making any opinion.

1 Like