SuttaCentral

Welcome to SuttaCentral on Discourse

Welcome! This is the discussion community for SuttaCentral. We focus on Early Buddhist Texts, their historical context, and modern relevance. We hope you’ll have a great time here, and—who knows—maybe even get enlightened!

On this site you’ll find a range of resources relating to Early Buddhist texts, including essays and commentaries about the suttas. Join the conversation, ask some questions, get involved.

By the way, the word “Discourse” is actually the name of the software platform that we are using for this forum. It also happens to be the same word that we usually use to translate “sutta” into English. This might be just a coincidence, but we’ve been very impressed with how the developers of Discourse want to create what they call Civilized Discourse, which is pretty much what the Buddha called Right Speech.

Before adding any posts, you should read our Universal Rules of Dhamma Discourse. We’re offering this service as part of our Dhamma practice, as the suttas say that conversation about Dhamma is part of the eight-fold path. We hope that you use it in the same way.

Acceptance, being easy to speak to,
The sight of good practitioners,
And timely conversation about Dhamma:
This is the greatest blessing.
Maṅgala Sutta, Kp 5.10

Current SuttaCentral "Community Guidelines"?

Dhamma Greetings,

in this new design, how can one access the Pali texts? I can find translations, but not the Pali.

For instance SuttaCentral

Much Metta,
Mirco

The pali texts for AN and SN have not yet been uploaded but we hope to do this soon. But in all the other ones you can find them. For instance here: https://suttacentral.net/dn under More for each sutta you see Mahasangiti. That’s the pali. If you click on that dropdown box, you get a whole list of all the translations and the language-code. Pali is at the top.

Hope this helps.

Not been uploaded yet. Ok, thanks. :anjal:

How to use offline after sync with chrome? Please guide me or point out the instruction. Thanks.

Thank you for your enquiry, I’m sure someone will be able to assist you soon :slight_smile:

@Vimala @Sujato

If it has set up an icon on your phone, you should just be able to click it. It will work offline, and fetch more data if needed (for example when searching).

@blake; as we might have speakers of different languages visiting the SS, I am just wondering whether it might be possible to have an option to have the Home page read in different languages (assuming translations are available): this would be-
-Early Buddhist texts, translations, and parallels translated
-Maybe the sutta excerpt also translated, if the particular translation is available
-Sutta, Vinaya, Abhidhamma menu options translated.
-‘Read this sutta’ (the link sentence) translated.

This would need a menu (maybe a drop down?) with languages on this side of the Home page.

Hope this is not too much- if we could start with a few South Asian languages that would cover a lot of people.

I also want to think everyone involved in this great project! I know things must be really busy, but everyone appreciates all the effort and thought that has gone into it.

Whoever thought we would see coding nuns and monks!

with metta,

Most absolutely!

Internationalisation and localisation (or I18n & l10n as I have discovered they are often referred to by hanging out with the clever kids) is definitely on the map: Search results for ‘I18n’ - Discuss & Discover. A couple of ‘pilot projects’ are already underway. Step-by-step. :walking_man:

:slight_smile: :anjal:

Splendid! Looking forward to it!
:gift:

with metta,