Welcome to the new emojis! 🧎‍♀️🧎‍♂️🩸🪔🛺

Ok, I realize this probably has nothing to do with EBTs, but I couldn’t resist.

Just today discovered the new oil lamp emoji, aka diya-lamp

🪔

Here you can see how it will look in different systems:

Google’s is more decorative than the lamps I’m used to, but it’s not bad.

There’s the kneeling person non-gendered 🧎

And gendered versions:
🧎‍♀️🧎‍♂️

And again Google is being strange. All other versions could be someone doing something Buddhist on the ground. But Google kind of breaks that.

The drop of blood is not Buddhist 🩸 but if your monastery is promoting blood drives then it could be useful.

And completely not Buddhist but so SE Asian I want to mention the three-wheeler/tuk-tuk 🛺

Doesn’t look like there will be anything in the next round of even remote relation to EBTs. It’s strange to me there is no lotus or water lily emoji. Anyone want to start a campaign?

A stupa emoji could come in handy, but the possibility for misuse is huge.

11 Likes

:scream_cat:

2 Likes

I know it makes me lily sad too.

3 Likes

So, good news on the Buddhist emoji front. The lotus is being added this year!

This will be it when it gets implimented on your device:

:lotus:

Support should start coming at the end of 2021 will fuller coverage in 2022.
There are only a few designs out there so far. You can see them here:

There is also a troll emoji coming. Might could use it as a yakkha?

There is also a new wheel emoji that might look like a Dhammacakka on some devices. But it could just be a tire on others:

Nothing Buddhist in next year’s release.(15.0)

3 Likes

There is :japanese_ogre: already, which I use as a yakkha when the occasion arises.

Unlikely, as we already have a Dhammacakka emoji :wheel_of_dharma: and new emojis are supposed to be “distinctive” (no more one :dromedary_camel:and two :camel:humped camels! :joy:)

1 Like

I wonder why there is no Buddha Figure.

1 Like

Thank God there is no Buddha figure - in my opinion. I already get a headache in the garden centers and Warehouses, where Buddha statues sit on the floor, in between bits and bops no one needs or lay on the “special half price junk” table.
I suddenly see the Anjali (Prayer) Emoji everywhere, in any context, which has actually nothing to do with the meaning of it:
“Went on a fishing trip today and got that nice fellow (picture of a poor dead creature)” :pray:

Better when Buddha “rests in peace” in the Emoji heaven :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I agree, but we should probably thank the Japanese instead. I believe Japan is where emojis started and I’m assuming they also understood why it would not be a good idea.

5 Likes

Two relevant 99pi episodes:

2 Likes

This is SUCH a great story - I had to share it! Thank you for that! :grinning:

2 Likes