Welcome to Therigatha.org

It was over 20 years ago now that I first heard Ayya Sudhammā preach on the verses in the Therīgāthā while living at the Bhāvanā Society. Like her novice preceptor, Bhante Guṇaratana, she can make the people in the suttas come to life. And most importantly, she does this without any need to alter the words of the Therīs themselves.

So when a non-translation of the Therīgāthā came to light recently, I thought the world could benefit from the experience Ayya Sudhammā has gathered over the years, both as someone living the life of a bhikkhunī, but also as someone who teaches this text with great compassion and wisdom.

So far there are nine therīs. Check it out:

The website has some nifty features

• Audio recordings of the verses in Pali and English (not all yet)
  • Links to other existing translations
  • Links to the suttas given by or to the Therīs
  • Links to the legends about the Therīs
  • Links to the digitalpalireader.online so you can do a deeper investigation on your own.
  • Even a Hipster version of one translation for the cool kids.
  • Complete bibliography of other translations of the Therīgāthā.

And there’s a podcast too! For now the podcast is simply an easy way to get copies of new recordings of translations as soon as they come out. Here’s the feed for your favorite podcast app.

If you are on social media you can follow the new translations as they come out. Sharing them with your friends is a great way to make sure that the real voices of the Enlightened Nuns are preserved. The pages for each therī are optimized for sharing.

And anyone can leave questions or comments (or appreciations!) at the bottom of each Therī’s page

40 Likes

Congratulations! It looks so good! :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Thanks! The site is designed with mobile as top priority. So it should be good to read on the go.

9 Likes

Khemā Therī 6.3
Now me: worshipping the Awakened One
the best ever, periodt.

:laughing: :heart:

4 Likes

We should have this translation on SC! :joy:

Bhante @Sujato?

8 Likes

Yeah. I’m clearly not hip because I pointed that out as a typo.

9 Likes

The nine Theris are wonderful and this website is a wonderful initiative, also the social media presence: so consistent.

I wish I were able to hear Ayya Sudhammā preaching on the verses as well as reading them. She makes the Pāḷi sound so beautiful.

10 Likes

This is such a wonderful and most needed project. Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu :pray:!

6 Likes

Just beautiful. I love the design! It’s so clean and readable. Also, a lovely choice of typeface. Also, the hard work to make the site work on mobile is no small feat, and much appreciated!

All of these voices singing out.

:pray:

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this lovely resource :anjal: :orange_heart:

5 Likes

What a lovely presentation; clean and elegant.

4 Likes

@johnk - the first post (OP) will interest you, re what @khagga showed us in Pāḷi class this morning.

3 Likes

I have to confess, The site is just built on the TwentyTwenty theme that wordpress.org publishes. It is designed to be good for mobile. So the trick is making sure that you don’t bust the aspects that are good for mobile. I did do a lot of mods to it so I hope it is still good on mobile. Thanks for the feedback!

4 Likes

As mentioned here, Therigatha.org is on Pinterest

And there is a new Therī published as well:

4 Likes

One of the things I love about the website is the multimedia aspects (voice and text! :heart:)

I’ve been thinking about people with disabilities a lot in regard to that. One suggestion I’d make for the Facebook and Instagram then is to include alt text or captions that describe what’s in the images. A small addition that can go a long way to helping visually-impaired people access the Dhamma.

https://accessibility.umn.edu/what-you-can-do/start-7-core-skills/alternative-text

5 Likes

I assume you’ve seen SuttaCentral Voice?

3 Likes

Indeed. I was even listening to it a bit last night. I personally don’t generally like audiobooks and such, but it’s great for people who do.

3 Likes

Fantastic! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you very much for the sharing! :pray:

2 Likes