We're live!

Probably already seen and factored in but possibly a large number of persons like myself are downloading for offline study. Mentioning just in case it needs to throttled somehow.

1 Like

Yeah, this happens in Chrome too. I think it’s a bug in the polymer element we use, so we’ll wait until these get updated for Polymer 3, which will no doubt furnish us with a whole new range of fascinating bugs!

Yeah, I’m not quite sure what the correct behavior is here. I guess we should indicate that the link opens in a new tab, and not highlight it.

Yes, I noticed this too. Will look into it.

And what’s wrong with huge smiles, I ask? Again, will look into it.

It does indeed, thanks.

Yes, this would be great and we should make it work better. We’ll probably focus on more immediate needs for now, but will look into this when we have some time later on.

If you’re interested to take this on, it would be truly fantastic. Our developers are of course there to help, but there are just so many things! Perhaps you’d like to join our team for a hangout sometime?

Ooh, yes, that’s a nasty bug! :bug:

1 Like

Issue with the large smileys is fixed.

5 Likes

Thank you. This is very helpful. I confirm it does not work: does not clear text after moving to next page.
Made JIRA ticket for this issue.

1 Like

I would love to! Let me first dig around a bit to see if someone else already figured something similar out and then we will know what kind of effort are we talking about.

I doubt my coding skills will be of any use (it was a while and I was working mostly on proprietary platforms all my professional life—‘hangs his head in shame and dons sackcloth and ashes’) but who says old dogs can’t learn new tricks!

I used to be quite skilled in defining clear cut processes and constraints for development though and, as said before, have a supernormal power to find bugs where there are none :smile:

2 Likes

That’s great thanks! I think it would be very helpful if you could figure out a way of doing a search for a sutta on this discourse platform that actually gives back the posts where this specific sutta is quoted in the best way possible. I can then implement it in the site.
But I have already had some discussion with the Discourse developers about this and that was not very enlightening: most forums are happy with this level of search so they will not do an upgrade anywhere soon. But like you say, maybe there is some way with wildcards/regex that can be used.

1 Like

That us just awesome! Brief summaries for the Sujato summaries to look at before reading then Sutta? Just brilliant. Was this like this before and I just missed it or a new addition?

2 Likes

Btw is there a way to edit your post in the D and D. I’m not seeing the edit option anymore, hence the smart phone auto type errors.

1 Like

For example, re: no edit option. I see it on the post above this one but not after a recent post. Perhaps it has to do with refreshing?

Using an iPhone with chrome btw.

1 Like

OH i see what’s happening. It hides behind the 92/92 post number. Is this a glitch?

1 Like

I could not help but express my gratitude to those who made so much effort to build such a great website. I love line-by-line Pali/English suttas with the pop-up dictionary function! Thank you very much.

I only found this new website yesterday, and there were already so many posts discussing bugs, so this post may be inappropriate here. I apologise for cluttering the thread in advance.

Thank you again. With añjali and metta

5 Likes

It’s a new addition. Happy that you like it!

Click on the three horizontal dots at the bottom of the post and then the whole menu appears, including the little pencil that denotes “edit”.

I think you have to scroll up a bit more to see the triple dot. I don’t use a smartphone myself so cannot check.

We’re happy you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

congratulations

Well done, for an amazing job - I hope this really goes on to create a great community around it as well :smiley:!

with metta

3 Likes

Here also, in Safari 10.1.2 (MacOS 10.12.6) and Safari 9.1.3 (MacOS 10.11.6) the site just shows a blank page (though it does load the favicon with the address). Looks fine in Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi (Mac OS 10.12), but is also blank in iCab, which like Safari is based on WebKit. Is there something in the coding that is allergic to WebKit?

I’ve been meaning to install Bodhi Linux to start learning the FOSS world, but haven’t got to it yet. I see at least three popular (I believe) Linux WebKit browsers: Konqueror, Midori (the default in Bodhi), Web (formerly Epiphany); if anybody on the crew is running Linux, might try those.

Oh, and the site does load in iOS Safari (11.0), which is also WebKit, but clearly that’s a different set of code, as it’s a mobile version.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve given your feedback to the developers.

Please see also on the other thread:

Acchariyaṃ, Abbhutaṃ! I’ve been pretty busy lately and haven’t been able to do much with the site yet, but it looks absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

I remember when the announcement came out several years ago that the Nikayas were going to be translated and now it’s actually finished! :grinning: Yayyyy.

May all of the people who contributed to this project, in any way, at any stage find freedom from suffering. :pray:

6 Likes

FWIW:

Brother (you’re a man, right?), I’ve used many Linux distros. I strongly recommend using any of the, say, top ten Linux Distributions (in popularity), but not lower. Popularity means everything, in the way of ensuring there are many volunteers fixing many bugs. Less-popular distros will almost certainly tax you, slowly but surely, with annoying bugs (that there aren’t enough volunteers to fix).

If you love Macs, you might consider trying Elementary OS. If you are used to Windows, you might consider Linux Mint. If you are open to something new-fangled (in its user interface), you might consider Ubuntu 18.04, when it comes out soon (and then scour the privacy-related settings and tighten them up, once installed).

Those would be my top 3 recommendations for any newcomer to the Linux world, based on your experience and style.

No offense, but I feel Firefox and Chromium are light-years ahead of all those browsers. Those browsers (you mentioned) pride themselves on being very, very lightweight (which is pretty much their only likeable quality), but anyone out there with even a 7-year-old Intel-based laptop or newer should be able to run browsers like Firefox and Chromium just fine (in Linux, which is known to be very speedy).

Both Firefox and Chromium are very tight in their efficiency these days, and are very tough acts to beat when it comes to both performance and useability, IMHO. I would further suggest that you’ll want the ad-blocking goodness of Add-ons like uBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger.

PS: I migrated my Mom from Safari to Firefox today, across all 3 of her Mac machines (iMac, iPad, iPhone). I don’t think Linux would be appropriate for her! :wink:

2 Likes

Agree.
This project is almost parallel to the Tipitaka is written to Sinhalese in Matale Aluvihara in Sri Lanka.
Perhaps it will equate if we add other Sutta’s yet to come.
Considering this is a one-man effort completed in two years is pretty incredible.
This is not a human work.

7 Likes

Haven’t had time to really get into it yet… but first impression is it looks… freakin’ amazing!

There is a psychology to design, it can affect us on subconscious/emotional levels. The new design, typefaces, everything… gives a kind of clean, friendly, lovely feeling.

Nobody has said anything about the Sujato translations yet?
Haven’t gotten into them much yet either, but first impression is they seem very down-to-earth, modern, direct, plain. Not to diss the Bodhi translations because they are still awesome and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to both of these great scholar monks, but the two translation styles give a totally different “texture” to the texts. Bodhi a more archaic, holy, almost Victorian/King James vibe. I think they are complementary, and it is nice (…incredible, actually) to be able to read these different sutta translations side by side and absorb two different flavors of the same text. Of course, the Sujato translations are probably more readily relatable to a modern audience being first introduced to the texts.

Some minor comments:

For those wanting to use deprecated web browsers for some reason, qutebrowser seems to render just fine:

How does the “offline” download work?
If it does tax the webserver in some way… perhaps y’all could start a private bittorent tracker and “the community” here and elsewhere could all take part in hosting the texts, keeping them alive, on bittorent protocol. Just an idea… not sure if it would work out logistically. You’re probably already serving these files off a CDN anyway.

One small constructive criticism: the side panel.
I realize it defaults to popped out so that it draws attention. But as you scroll the “hamburger” disappears, so you have no option to “un-pop” it without scrolling to the top.
edit: nevermind, I found out if you just scroll up a little quickly the topnav appears again, I guess that just wasn’t intuitive to me.

How about this one then? The chat icon gets you from any page on suttacentral.net over to D&D quite easily (surely, we’ll see more D&D visitors that way). There’s no easy way I can see to get back to SC though…

3 Likes

2 feature requests/suggestions:

1. Allow use of the mouse wheel to scroll through the left sidebar. When I put my mouse in there and scroll, it only scrolls the main page to the right, not the left sidebar.

2. Make AN and KN easier to navigate via the left sidebar, i.e. more numbers. E.g. in the picture below, I don’t know what suttas are in the nipata subcategories (etadagga, atthana, pathamapannasaka, etc.) unless I click them.

Or e.g. here from KN:

It would be nice if the Pali words had numbers next to them so we know which suttas are where. Many of us remember suttas via numbers or at least use them to help with navigation. SN’s sidebar does it nicely, but even there it would be nice to know that samyuttas 1-11 are in the Sagatha Vaggasamyutta:

1 Like