What are the suttas that note lifespan of different realms?

Maximum life expectancy of a one realm seems different from the other realms. Maximum life expectancy is higher in higher realms as well as lower ones than human realm except some deferent cases in Aninmal realm.
What are the suttas that note life expectancies?
What might be the reason to this deference?

1 Like

The suttas don’t make general statements about this. They speak only about how such-and being lived for such-and-such length of time in such-and-such realm.

The general statements about lifespans in different realms are from the Abhidhamma’s Vibhaṅga in the case of the human, deva and brahmā realms, and from the commentaries in the case of all the others.

Āyuppamāṇaṃ

2 Likes

Thank you Bhante!
Suttas other than Abhidhamma??

As I’ve already said, the suttas don’t make general statements about this. In KN texts like the Petavatthu, Vimānavatthu and Apadāna there are lots of accounts about how certain particular devas, petas etc. happened to live for such-and-such length of time. In the first four Nikāyas such material is much less common.

2 Likes

Found one, there may be more, As I remember Isaw a sutta that mentioned lifespan of lower realms. Wanted to find that sutta, thats why I asked the question.

If they abide in that, are committed to it, and meditate on it often without losing it, when they die they’re reborn in the company of the gods of streaming radiance. The lifespan of the gods of streaming radiance is two eons. … they’re reborn in the company of the gods replete with glory. The lifespan of the gods replete with glory is four eons. … they’re reborn in the company of the gods of abundant fruit. The lifespan of the gods of abundant fruit is five hundred eons.
Paṭhamamettā Sutta AN 4.125

1 Like

If you search for āyuppamāṇa you’ll find a lot of relevant suttas.

From the Kokālikasutta:

When this was said, a certain bhikkhu spoke to the Radiant One thus: “How long, venerable, is life in the Paduma Hell?”

“Bhikkhu, life in the Paduma hell is surely long, not easy to reckon in terms of years, of hundreds of years, of thousand of years, in tens of hundreds of thousands of years.”

Kokālikasutta

3 Likes

What you’re looking for is in Dīrgha Āgama nº30
Idk if there is an English translation

Edit: direct link to the wanted passage

Actually, only a few days back I read the story of Kokalika in the SN. Seems to be pretty much the same story in SN6.10 as in the Snp.

1 Like