What are your favourite suttas?

Please list your top five favourite suttas, that you like reading and re-reading.

4 Likes

This topic is related and may be relevant.

2 Likes

The Metta Sutta (Snp 1.8) is probably my favorite. I feel that it very clearly and poetically captures the spirit of the dhamma.

I often refer to the Sāleyyaka Sutta (MN 41) to keep myself aligned with the preliminaries of the goal I wish to pursue, and the Mahākammavibhaį¹…ga Sutta (MN 136) to understand how kamma corresponds with achieving this goal.

My practice is centered on the six recollections, primarily Buddhānussati. Theyā€™re outlined in the Paį¹­hamamahānāma Sutta (AN 11.11). Bhikkhu Bodhi [1], Piya Tan [2], and the Visuddhimagga [3] have provided commentary and instruction on this practice.

To build insight, I really enjoy studying the analysis of dependent origination found in the Vibhaį¹…ga Sutta (SN 12.2).

[1] Four Protective Meditations
[2] The Sutta Discovery Series
[3] The Visuddhimagga PDF

3 Likes

Currently walking around the suburban desert island doing endless laps with DN33. Because we all should be reciting this in concert. Right? I meanā€¦we really should. All together nowā€¦:grin:

2 Likes
  1. Anatta lakkhana Sutta.
  2. any Sutta with the Noble Eightfold Path.
  3. Maha Nidana Sutta
  4. Cacakkha sutta
  5. Satipatthana sutta
2 Likes