What are your thoughts on Goenka vipassana?

Yes, those are the talks from the series. Here is a link to the entire series:
https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/talk/6162/

It’s been years since I listened to those talks and I’m not sure what I’d think of them now. They were recorded long before Analayo published his follow up book, Perspectives on Satipatthana.

2 Likes

Adutiya, are the above links from part 21 to part 23 of the series on the five aggregates you are referring to>

Dharma Seed - Right view

In the topic on right view, the five aggregates are summarized nicely in the link provided from the series
Thanks , Adutiya, for sharing the key experience and Gilian for asking the reference.Was quiet helpful.

3 Likes

Below is a link to a paper by Bhikkhu Analayo which covers the main Burmese Insight Meditation teachings of Mahāsi Sayādaw, S.N. Goenka and Pa Auk Sayādaw. On reflection, When I was practicing in the Goenka method, had I known the framework from which these methods stemmed, I think I would have benefitted more by seeing a bigger picture, the full objective to which the teachings were leading.

7 Likes

After years in the goenka tradition, which I still have a great respect for, this is precisely what I’ve come to realise as well.

Goenka does in fact encourage Jhāna, but unfortunately not until the 60 day courses. And it just so happens that the 60 day courses are reserved only for teachers in the tradition. Goenka’s opinion on jhana is a very well kept mystery because of this. I’ve meet people that have been in the tradition for 20 years believing that Goenka condemns Jhāna. A tragic side effect of his discourses being so inaccessible.

1 Like

I can only say you might prefer this since Goenka tradition probably will be Goenka recordings.

Sayagyi U Ba Khin(was teacher of Goenka and others like Mother Sayamagyi) came a highly respected meditation teacher in Burma. He taught students from all over the world until his demise in 1971. From then until her demise in January 2017, his leading disciple Mother Sayamagyi carried on the tradition.

She taught meditation for more than fifty years and established additional International Meditation Centers worldwide.

Ten-day residential meditation courses are held approximately every other month at IMC-USA