What browser are you using?

As most of you probably know, we are working to create a new website for SuttaCentral based on Polymer Webcomponents and this is being tested on a variety of browsers.

I’m just interested to know what browsers and operating systems our users here are using to see the SuttaCentral main site (so not this forum). That’s just because I love statistics. :chart_with_upwards_trend:

• Chrome
  • Chromium
  • Firefox
  • Safari
  • Edge
  • Internet Explorer
  • Opera
  • Other

0 voters

• Windows
  • Apple Mac
  • Linux Mint
  • Ubuntu
  • Other Linux
  • Android
  • iOS
  • Other

0 voters

I know this list can never be complete so if you clicked OTHER on any of these two polls, can you please specify which one in a post? Thanks for your help! :pray:

4 Likes

As for browser - the one I’m creating for myself :wink:
But it’s using WebKit engine, so if it works on Safari, it should work here too

System: Gentoo Linux

4 Likes

Google Analytics has statistics for both browser and OS, IIRC. Even though adblockers block it, GA’s statistics can be useful.

Written in Firefox on Arch Linux, commonly known as Gentoo for Grown-Ups ™. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You guys are so hard core. I feel geek-shamed to be using mere Ubuntu!

7 Likes

I wonder if I am the only one here browsing this site regularly with Blackberry’s in-built browser!

3 Likes

Didn’t you hear? The Buddha was opposed to all forms of self-mortification!

7 Likes

Nah, it’s all good! Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop user here! Linux :penguin: users, unite!:rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, I know. Maybe @Sujato can share the results here so we can compare the overall site with what our Discourse users are using and see if there is a difference.

Overall, if I add all Linux platforms together, Linux is used slightly more than Android, which I did not expect. It seems that most users of this forum watch the site on a laptop/desktop and Chrome is by far the most used browser. This is great because our new site is optimized for Chrome.

2 Likes

Waterfox on Artix GNU/linux, no evil System-D (nor D-bus on my particular system) - although my user-agent will report Firefox on Windows 8.1 lol. @tuvok, I’m impressed! Been thinking about the switch to Gentoo when I have the time.

1 Like

Hmm, I use Chrome, on Linux for seriously reading the forum, but I also use Chrome on Android to keep up…

Pardon my technological ignorance. I noticed that “Mac/Apple” and “iOS” were different options. I had thought that Mac/Apple was iOS? Am I tragically misinformed?

iOS is for phones and tablets. macOS for laptops and desktops.

Edit: However, they are both based on a Unix kernel:

Similarly, Android is based on Linux (roughly a Unix clone):

However, the interface details on Android and Apple phones and tablets is rather different from desktops…

1 Like

Is it good with iOS for mobile phones?

metta

:frowning: with all the new (and old) information about google spying on users I would have suggested to not be so supportive of this specific platform.

I will stay with Firefox until it is absolutely necessary to go in another direction. But I use Vivaldi occasionally so I can give you feedback about it if you need it.

3 Likes

It’s a good distro if you have the time and patience to configure it for yourself. Also having lots of RAM and cores helps with compilation times :wink:

1 Like

I agree, we should absolutely support open standards.

To clarify what Vimala said, the SC Next site uses Web Components and Progressive Web App technologies, which allow us to do things that are otherwise impossible, like provide offline usage. Browser adoption of these technologies has been led by Chrome, but they have recently been adopted as official parts of the relevant specs, so they are being implemented by all the main browsers.

As is usual on the web today, most of the functionality will be available via polyfill until the other browsers complete their implementation, which I would anticipate in the next couple of years. In the meantime, certain things might be a little slower in Firefox or Edge, and some advanced capabilities won’t work until they implement the features (for example, installing the site as an app in iOS). But as far as using the site normally goes, it should be fine. We hope!

In the meantime, I use Chromium; Chrome, without the bad bits!

6 Likes

In the spirit of supporting open standards, it might be nice to look into freeing any javascript used on SC properties:

Documentation found here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html
and here for various free/libre licenses:
https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/manual/html_node/Free-Licenses-Detection.html

based on Richard Stallman’s article titled “The JavaScript Trap”.

Not to split hairs; but the Chromium project, an open source (but not necessarily free/libre) project started by free and open source developers but now dominated by Google employees, has been caught sneaking in some nasty binary (non-free) blobs:

2 Likes

I have been a Mac user since 1985, but for the past year and a half, I’ve been using a Chromebook Pro more and more frequently, my MacBook less and less, and my iPad hardly at all. I love the keyboard on the Chromebook and find that the touchscreen and the stylus are much more useful than I expected them to be. Of course, the Chrome OS is more or less an extension of the Chrome browser, so if you’re developing with an awareness of Chrome’s dominance in the browser market, you’re developing for the Chromebook.

1 Like

My “other” is Vivaldi on Windows 10, but that’s mostly when I’m traveling. Primary at home is macOS with Firefox/Safari.

1 Like

As an aside Discourse seems to chew through my battery-life on my iPhone (iOS Safari) faster than any other app … even Facebook :frowning:
Probably not SC specific

1 Like