What does 'buddham paccakkhāmi' mean?

Hi, I want to ask about this sentence:

“Buddham paccakkhāmi”

What is the meaning of this sentence? :thinking:
I’m not expert in Pali, but I think this sentence means “I disavow Buddha”. Is it true? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think it does too. That’s a trifle worrying. Is this some sort of black magic.

1 Like

indeed… :sweat_smile:

yep… I guess. But in this text, this sentence is used to prevent black magic. :sweat_smile:

How can saying “I disavow the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha” prevent black magic?

… Oh, I suppose whoever wrote the pamphlet isn’t Buddhist … The poster tactfully cropped out the name of the person/organisation responsible.

1 Like

I don’t translate Pali unless I am using my dictionary. But, I did search this phrase, and came up with this:

The OP graphic has the questionable phrase after the recitation of homage to the Buddha. So, it seems unlikely this is a chant involving any negative attributes. The extract from the book, above, seems to explain the meaning or application of this phrase.

1 Like

Here is where paccakkha is used. It’s about 33 suttas.

1 Like

Wow… New feature on Suttacentral? :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh that is voice.suttacentral.net, which is the accessibility version of SuttaCentral. Voice has a smaller library of supported suttas and features a search that many sighted folk have found helpful. SuttaCentral search is exhaustive yet can be overwhelming.

3 Likes