What happened to Mara?

What ever happened to Mara?

(I did a SC D&D search but didn’t find a similar topic; if this has already been asked, I apologise.)

2 Likes

The following posting may be relevant to your Mara’s question?

1 Like

Are you meaning realistically or canonically?

Assuming the latter, I don’t remember ever anything happening to him and to the class of beings called Maras (assuming your interpretation that Mara isn’t merely a metaphor).

In the Asokavandana (third century B.C.E.), the monk Upagupta is said to have had his potential converts led astray by the spontaneous appearance of money and valuables and celestial music. This same source indicates that Upagupta was eventually able to convert Mara to Buddhism; however, this hagiography is considered apocryphal by many Buddhists.
Mara - New World Encyclopedia

2 Likes

Great question!

I really recommend John Strong’s The Legend and Cult of Upagupta.

The man himself:

10 Likes

Still harassing bhikkhunis 2600 years on… :worried:

13 Likes

At that time the World-Honored One, having finished reciting these verses, made an announcement to the great assembly, speaking in these words: "This disciple of mine Mahakashyapa in future existences will be able to enter the presence of three thousand billion Buddhas, World-Honored Ones, to offer alms, pay reverence, honor and praise them, widely proclaiming the innumerable great doctrines of the Buddhas. And in his final incarnation he will be able to become a Buddha named Light Bright Thus Come One, worthy of offerings, of right and universal knowledge, perfect clarity and conduct, well gone, understanding the world, unexcelled worthy, trainer of people, teacher of heavenly and human beings, Buddha, World-Honored One.

His land will be called Light Virtue and his kalpa will be called Great Adornment. The life span of this Buddha will be twelve small kalpas. His Correct Law will endure in the world for twenty small kalpas, and his Counterfeit Law for twenty small kalpas.

“His realm will be majestically adorned, free of defilement or evil, shards or rubble, thorns or briers, or the unclean refuse of latrines. The land will be level and smooth, without high places or sags, pits or knolls. The ground will be of lapis lazuli, with rows of jeweled trees and ropes of gold to mark the boundaries of the roads. Jeweled flowers will be scattered around, and everywhere will be pure and clean. The bodhisattvas of that realm will number countless thousands of millions, and the multitude of voice-hearers will likewise be innumerable. There will be no workings of the devil, and although the devil and the devil’s people will be there, they will protect the Law of the Buddha.

Chapter 6, Lotus Sutra, Bestowal of Prophecy.

Since we have folks here who are not familiar with the range of Buddhist texts, it should be noted that this is not considered an Early Buddhist Text.

9 Likes

He has since had his name changed to Dependent Origination.

1 Like

As I understand it there is always one Mara within samsara. When one dies, another Mara takes his place. Current Mara Namucci is probably still operating, since lifespan of such high deva is very long. This is according to traditional Theravada view. You can check it out in Ajahn Punnadhammo’s book - The Buddhist Cosmos.

As for Mara as metaphor, I think it is always there for us to a degree unless we attain Arahanthood or oneless one dwells in jhanas.

1 Like

He likely became a Good Boy and used his roaring intellect to safeguard the Buddhadhamma after becoming converted through it - finding solace and peace.

The unhinged defiled individual, one may brand such as a 'Maraling - subject to kleshas - one who is subject to ignorance and degrees of unawareness unto which their unhelpful behaviour is an expression of. Another view is that Mara is seen as a deity advising people to give into hindrance, defilement and be naughty - yet still subject to some confusion.

The Awakened View may see ‘Mara’ as a sort of title or role of an individual (self-realised member of the noble sangha) who ‘plays a part’ and, having been detected by the ariya-sangha, tests the resolve of the next world honoured one. Testing the resolve of the Little Lion.

Always measuring self.

2 Likes

Probably will suffer consequences of behavior similar to the previous Mara as detailed by the Ven. Maha Moggollana who had personal experience acting in that villainous role in a prior lifetime.

Interesting in this age of generative AI… Mara contrived to manipulate with manufactured scenes. Laypeople, having succumbed to undue influence, still bore karmic responsibility for believing and acting on the illusions. Nothing new, but the technology is increasingly persuasive.

And

1 Like

There is a curious story from Sunlun Sayadaw’s biography that seems to be an encounter with one of Māra’s retinue. It’s interesting that Sunlun Sayadaw calls the Mara himself “a good person”, which is in line with the legend that Māra was converted to the Triple Gem by Upagupta.

One night Shin Kavi(Sunlun Sayadaw) heard a voice which said, “Renounce your Ayusankhara (Life Principle)!” which in ordinary parlance meant, “Do will your death.”
Shin Kavi replied “No, I won’t.”
The voice disappeared.

In the morning, he reported the incident to the Yay-lai Sayadaw who asked him, “U Kavi, did you renounce your Life Principle?” Shin Kavi answered, “No, Venerable sir, I didn’t.” “Don’t do that”, said the Sayadaw, “Be careful. They will come again.”

After a few days, a spirit stranger showed up and said to Shin Kavi. “Venerable sir, do not preach the Four Truths.” And Shin Kavi replied “I will!”
The stranger then said, “Won’t the Revered One listen to my word?”
Shin Kavi then sent his loving-kindness (Mettā) in a true spirit of good will.
And he asked the stranger “Didn’t you get my loving-kindness (Mettā)?”
That person replied, “Yes, I did, Venerable Sir”. And he continued in a lamentable voice, “Alas! Beings are going to gain liberation.” Then that person went away.

In the morning, Shin Kavi related his encounter to the Yay-lai Sayadaw, who said, “If that so quick, go after him. If you do, you will find him!” Shin Kavi went after that person and he saw the person who said to him, “Renounce your Life Principle!” and who beseeched him to refrain from preaching the Four Truths. Shin Kavi told the Yay-lai Sayadaw that he believed that the stranger was not Māra himself. “Māra is a good person. It must be some one in Māra’s service.”
Then after a few days, two girls wearing red flowers in their hair visited the monastery in the night. Shin Kavi reprimanded them, “What business have you got here?” And the two spirits left the monastery compound.