SuttaCentral

What is a pāsāda?

ebt-translation
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc457500708>

Sorry, what attendants?

In Sri Lankan language Pasada means something similar to a mansion or a castle.
The most famous one in Sri Lanka is the Sigirya.

The attendants who attend on the nymphs. The MLDB has them as maids. I was hoping for a nod to gender equality to have the nymphs tended by male attendants.

Okay, but if you could quote the relevant section from above that would save me having to search back through the whole thread …

@sujato: "And further in random observations, in MN 37 we have the mention of Sakka’s Palace of Victory, which has a hundred towers, each one of which has seven hundred kutagaras, and in each kutagara there are seven nymphs, each with seven attendants.:"
Post #36

Sorry. (was bored)

kūṭāgāra:
masculine neuter
a building with a peaked roof

kūṭāgāra may refer to buildings constructed in a certain style or technique.

Gahakāraka diṭṭhosi,
puna gehaṃ na kāhasi;
Sabbā te phāsukā bhaggā,
gahakūṭaṃ visaṅkhataṃ;
Visaṅkhāragataṃ cittaṃ,
taṇhānaṃ khayamajjhagā.

O house-builder, you are seen! You will not build this house again. For your rafters are broken and your ridgepole shattered. My mind has reached the Unconditioned; I have attained the destruction of craving.

A traditional roof building technique still existing in sri lanka. with rafters connecting to a type of ridge pole called kanimadala.

image0933

Multi-story kūṭāgāras are not inconceivable i guess:

cxm825

e12b6d337fee102478af36a30a6c55d1

MN 37 we have the mention of Sakka’s Palace of Victory, which has a hundred towers, each one of which has seven hundred kutagaras, and in each kutagara there are seven nymphs, each with seven attendants.

8bbe729574a20faf500043e9c6d26dd42a2dc7c18923e-5fgouU_fw658

309650-bigthumbnail

Remains of Lovamaha Pasada in Anuradhapura sri lanka. According to the great chronicle Mahavansa, built by king Dutugamunu (161 – 131 BC) with nine stories and gabled with copper plates.

IMG_3027

Seems to have been built on stilts made out of granite.

Years ago I looked at all of the documentaries about the life of the Buddha that I could find and was disappointed that every one centered around the myths and exaggerations that ultimately take away from the Buddha being an example of how an ordinary person can awaken.

An EBT portrayal documentary would be powerful and inspiring! Venerable Anālayo’s book “A Meditator’s Life of the Buddha” paints a detailed picture of the Buddha carefully and intentionally navigating his way to awakening and beyond. The supernatural and glorifying details aren’t important or highlighted in order to be impressive, perhaps quite the opposite. I’m not at all a fan of Stephan Batchelor, but some years ago I listened to a series of his on the life of the Buddha. He cobbled together his version of the Buddha’s life which, in my humble opinion, wasn’t tenable but I could appreciate the approachability of the Buddha in the context of life in that time and place.

I can’t imagine the Buddha being raised in a “palace” in a traditional context, like the palaces of ruins around the world. So a stilt house or lodge sounds much more fitting and even grandiose in the context of the Buddha’s time and place.