What is dukkha?

Indeed, thank you @Meggers . This is another aspect of the discussion we haven’t discussed in much detail.

@yeshe.tenley I hope the parable was humorous and joyful! :smiley: Thank you for your replies. I think it is valuable to follow through in this discussion, especially through conversation and reflection rather than sheer appeal to textual references. Here are some thoughts.

I’d like to start by clarifying some common ground. Yes, by phrases like ‘substantial,’ ‘matter-substance,’ or spacetime ‘out there’ I am generally referring to a kind of metaphysical [scientific] realism. Of course, I don’t find the term ‘scientific’ very helpful, but it should be clear what it refers to in this context.

When I mention ‘matter-substance,’ I am referring to the idea of a kind of real stuff out there in independent space-time. We can include ‘energy-susbtance’ and so on in this same category. E=MC^2 and all that. I do not think that ‘rūpa’ means “matter-substance,” either in the psuedo-scientific Abhidhamma sense (atomic elements) or the modern scientific sense of matter.

I take ‘rūpa’ to be mainly phenomenological, as the word itself suggests. ‘Rūpa’ originally refers to something like ‘appearance,’ ‘image,’ ‘sight,’ or ‘form.’ Textually speaking, it also seems to include things like an “astral” body (‘manomayā kāya’), deva-bodies, and so on. Externally, it would be the corresponding ‘form’ or appearances with physical properties we experience. So if we have a human-form, we will generally experience sights, sounds, etc. corresponding to that. Things that have characteristics of extension, space, resistance, weight, abide by physical laws such as gravity, etc. But these things as they are experienced. Not as independent, external ‘stuff’ or ‘substances’ or ‘energy’ out there. Hopefully that distinction is clear and agreed upon. :smiley:

So, to me, the distinction you have made here is actually an unfair one, for lack of a better term. By “unfair,” I mean that it creates what I perceive as a false dichotomy. Namely, ‘dream form arises dependent on the mind, but form outside of dreams arises dependent upon matter, etc.’ I don’t think any form can be spoken of as arising without dependence on the mind. Do you agree? If not, I would simply ask that you describe form to me without recourse to any mental knowledge or cognition of it.

If you would agree, then I think you’ll see why I take issue with the distinction. Dream form is not unique in arising dependent on the mind, so it is somewhat misleading to form the distinction like this. I am not accusing you of trying to mislead or of bad-faith. Just how the sentence is worded. The distinction starts to lean towards that realism we mentioned.

“Form in dreams needs perception and cognition to be present, but form outside of dreams in the real world is just the interaction of matter and light and so on.” That is the type of sentiment I would disagree with.

On the other side, there is the experience of matter and light in the dream form. If, in a dream, you were in a dark room then presumably you would not be able to see forms without some kind of dream night-vision. Moreover, there is, as you say, resistance and physical properties to form in dreams just as in waking life. I also think it is plausible to imagine a dream in which one investigates the form with scientific instruments and measures laws of motion and so on.

One issue of course is that generally in dreams there is a greater sense of flexibility, control or mental influence over the scenario, and less “elegance” or symmetry in the laws governing the dream. I don’t deny this, and I’m not trying to argue that dreams and waking life are indistinguishable. But we could make reasonable counter-arguments, such as saying that the elegance or symmetry of physical laws is an arbitrary and inconclusive intuition from humans; it is not a necessity of all possible worlds. Also, in Buddhist cosmology it is said there are realms where beings do have more control such as the realms that delight in creation or that have power over other’s creations.

I agree, and I assume you would probably take no issue with at least the broad ideas painted above. That ‘form’ refers to a mere appearance that arises and ceases due to certain conditions, not a substance or essence that is made or destroyed, and that this is true of form whether in dreams or waking life. Though this does not mean we cannot use beneficial ideas and tools provisionally, nor do we need to deny basic facts about our experience.

Again, you seem to make a dichotomy here between the nature of form in dreams and the nature of form in waking life. Not a substantialist one at first glance, but I am pointing out that to me the implications are subtly substantialist. Here is what I mean.

Dream Devin’s alleged corpse does not go ‘poof.’ It refers to the manifest experience of a corpse that persists after death. If the dreamer did not wake up, then how could you make the same distinction between a dream-corpse and a waking-life corpse? If the dream did not ever end, wouldn’t the corpse just be plainly manifest, be buried, and be assumed to persist in the ground and cycle through nature as matter does? If we assume the dream has analogous properties to the human realm, I think this is reasonable.

At this point, I would ask what the word “Buddha” means etymologically. A common explanation is “Awakened One,” or “One Who Woke Up,” no? As in, from a slumber or dream (or maybe a nightmare).

What if the power of craving and ignorance kept beings locked in a cycle of dreams? We could suppose that the desire to escape would only create another dream at the end of the former, and attachment to the dream world perpetuates it. We could add in the fact that there is a relative stability in the variety of dream-realms within the larger dream-scape, and that the type of dream that follows the previous is affected by the choices, intentions, aims and actions there. Other beings are seen cycling through a similar process, ignorant and blind to it for eons. At a certain point in this thought experiment, the distinction between ‘dream world’ and ‘real world’ starts to melt away; the arising and lawful appearance of such a world in this way begins to melt notions of non-existence. Only when we can speak of a dream ending, the cessation of that world, can its existence be more readily reduced to mere conditional appearance.

So it would seem to be no surprise that waking-life matter seems endless and more substantial than dream matter, despite the conditional appearance of each being in many ways identical. It would require the waking-world to cease, like a dream ends, or someone to ‘wake up’ from it, for the same effect.

[Buddha:] “Kaccāna, this world mostly relies on the dual notions of existence and non-existence.
But when you truly see the arising of the world with right understanding, you won’t have the notion of non-existence regarding the world.
And when you truly see the cessation of the world with right understanding, you won’t have the notion of existence regarding the world.”
SN 12.15

I agree with you that ‘obstructive contact’ or ‘resistance’ occurs both in dreams and waking life. It is a characteristic of ‘form.’ But I would reiterate what I consider a false dichotomy, at least in how it is phrased. The experience of obstructive contact is just as dependent on mind in the waking world as in dream world. Do you think that when two rocks collide they experience ‘obstructive contact’? How could such a thing even be spoken of without feeling, perception, and consciousness? There is an interesting passage on just this topic. Here is an excerpt. I recommend reading the entire discourse if you get a chance!

“Suppose there were none of the features, attributes, signs, and details by which the set of mental phenomena known as name is found. Would labeling contact still be found in the set of physical phenomena?” “No, sir.”
“Suppose there were none of the features, attributes, signs, and details by which the set of physical phenomena known as form is found. Would impingement contact still be found in the set of mental phenomena?” “No, sir.”
DN 15

I’ll just note that the word translated ‘impingement’ here refers to a kind of resistance, obstructive contact, or meeting of physical phenomena. And as is stated, this could not be designated or ‘labelled’, i.e. mentally processed, without mental phenomena. These are two aspects of contact that are both equally necessary for cognizing form.

This is an important part of the discussion, to my mind. To summarize the story:

1. Human Devin passes away, and the remains of their body are manifest to other humans.
  2. Devin is reborn with a subtle body
  3. Both bodies (the former human one and the celestial one) present themselves to an onlooker.

So in this story, Devin never stopped experiencing form. And the old human form still exists independently of Devin. See how that phrase “still exists” can create lurking suspicion? It just needs further clarification. So:

This means that the human-form is experienced only from the perspective of other beings, including Devin. So it is now insentient or unconscious external form. It is like the moon. A meaningful detail though is that Devin’s new celestial form would be experienced internally from their perspective. So the human-form would be external to Devin now, and it could only be designated, known, labelled, or processed with two conditions:

1. Devin’s internal form offering a basis for obstructive contact with light, matter, etc., in this case the external human form.
  2. Devin’s internal mental faculties offering the basis for cognizing that obstructive contact.

If Devin never visited the human realm, they might have never experienced the old form externally. From Devin’s perspective, there was simply a transition in conditions, and the experience of internal-external form shifted somewhat. The fact that other beings experience their form is no different than waking up from a dream-body and having a waking-body. Maybe other beings experience the former dream-body. It would really have no relevance to the internal-external experience of the form aggregate from the perspective of the dreamer, just as would be the case for Devin once ‘waking up’ from a human-form and having a new form.

We can imagine that Devin was a pious and virtuous human. They developed their mind intent on heavenly rebirth with celestial form. If they obtain that, they would have every right to say that their previous form ceased and their new form arose. It’s a shift in conditional appearance and conditional ceasing from the particular focus on the form aggregate.

Divine Devin could be said to have ended their former human form and gained a new, celestial form. This doesn’t mean other sentient beings have to experience a sudden vanishing of the previous human form. But to suggest that ending human form must entail making the appearance of that form for all beings cease almost leans towards suggesting that Devin must make some kind of matter-substance cease. The experience of Devin’s human form is the conditional appearance of it to those beings. The experience of Devin’s divine form is the conditional appearance of it to Devin.

It would be like insisting that, upon waking from a dream, you must make the former dream-body cease to appear to all the dream-beings there. It implies that such a thing is possible or that there is some substance to be destroyed. If it appears to other dream-beings, it is because of their conditions, such as having dream-form and experiencing the dream-world. But we cannot reasonably insist, as you yourself agreed, that there is an external, substantial dream-world in dream-spacetime “out there” where the prior dream-form is persisting and appearing to dream-beings. Such a thing would be reduced to at most sheer convention.

The break-up of the aggregates does not need to imply that all perceivers see them as going poof. It simply means the arrangement of those particular conditions ceases and the arising of new conditions appear accordingly, especially internally. As in when the dream-aggregates break up and the waking-life aggregates appear. Please refer also to the thought-experiment of the perpetual, seemingly-lawful dream worlds.

By ‘truly cease’ I believe I only meant to make the distinction between the appearance of external form via internal sense contact of beings, such as seeing a corpse, and the shift in conditional appearance/cessation internally in the form aggregate, such as Devin’s metaphorical transition from human-form to divine-form. This would entail more coarse ‘human form’ ceasing and ‘divine form’ arising.

Has my response shed light on this for you? I hope it has provided more explanation and detail in what I was hoping to convey before. :slight_smile:

I also would like to re-iterate that it doesn’t matter (pun?) whether we are talking about “form” or “hatred.” All of this would apply, minus the particular detail of e.g. matter/light which is specific to discussing characteristics that designate ‘form.’

Suppose that there was a particular event B before which “hatred” was a possible mental state in the mind of the Buddha, and after which “hatred” ceased to appear in the Buddha’s mind. We could map it like so:

… H H H B -H -H -H …

That is, H (hatred) is present without discoverable beginning until the Buddha experiences event B (bodhi) after which H is absent without further re-arising. We could simply swap the H with F for ‘form’ and change event B to ‘P’ for ‘passing away.’ The diagram for that would look like so:

… F F F P -F -F -F …

Keeping in mind that, just as hatred may have been absent for stretches of time prior to the Buddha experiencing event B (such as if he were practicing mettā or simply not angry), so too form may be absent to him for periods of time prior to event P, such as if he were to enter deep sleep or if he were to attain a formless state of meditation, etc.

All the best in the Dhamma! :pray: :slight_smile:

Suffering is the absence of pure unconditional Love. I find that to be the true suffering. Pure unconditional Love comes from the Heart of a fully Enlightened One, but I think that even if that World-Honored One does not receive Compassion, or even the slightest bit of care in return, they do not truly suffer, because they are following every aspect of the Dhamma that the Buddha and Buddhism has to offer. It doesn’t mean they’ll be happy, it doesn’t mean anything material, it’s a Spiritual Cessation of material contamination, and I think that is Nibbana. :pray:

No problem. 頑張りましょう!

Can you please take the conversation about rebirth vs reincarnation and eternalism etc to another thread as it does not seem germane to this one? :pray:

2 Likes

Dhukka is friction.

Be well :pray:

1 Like

Is just did it! :pray: :smiley:

What is dukkha?

To understand dukkha - we should know dukkha, anatta and anicca because these three are interlinked.
We should also understand about - paṭicca-samuppāda, This explains about the cause of dukkha and cessation of dukkha.
Buddha mentioned dukkha, anatta, anicca in various circumstance in various way and depending on the type of people how could they understand the particular wording.

According to the very first Sutta/sermon (Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta) Buddha summarised - Five aggregates is dukkha.

In various Sutta Buddha mentioned - twelve ayatana - inner six sense doors is dukkha and outer six sense objects is dukkha.

In the second discourse Anattalakkhaṇa Sutta - Buddha mentioned Five aggregates is anatta.

In some Sutta e.g Girimananda Sutta - Buddha mentioned Five aggregates is annica.

For practical meditation purpose we have to experience all kinds of dukka - dukkha as dukkha including sukkha , piti, passaddhi etc are also dukkka because of the impermanent (annica) nature.

If we understand or experience fully ALL the dukkha as dukkha which will lead for liberation because cessation of dukkha is nibbana.

1 Like

Okay. To paraphrase, you’re saying that the Teacher did not intend to indicate ‘rūpa’ to be understood as “external stuff out there,” but rather he emphasized the experience. To some extent, I think I understand what you’re trying to emphasize, but no I don’t think I can totally agree.

The Teacher spoke in more or less plain language. He wasn’t trying to build up a new metaphysics for people to my mind. To the extent that others believed in “external stuff out there” I think he spoke in ways concordant in order to communicate with them using conventional language. It doesn’t mean he endorsed their implicit beliefs in essence. Numerous suttas attest the Teacher speaking in ways about ‘rūpa’ that I take as attestation of the conventional understanding of the day. An understanding that is analogous with what might have been the common belief in “independent, external ‘stuff’ out there.”

And what is the grasping aggregate of form? The four primary elements, and form derived from the four primary elements.

And what is the interior earth element? Anything hard, solid, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This includes: head hair, body hair, nails, teeth, skin, flesh, sinews, bones, bone marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, diaphragm, spleen, lungs, intestines, mesentery, undigested food, feces, or anything else hard, solid, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual.

And what is the interior water element? Anything that’s water, watery, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This includes: bile, phlegm, pus, blood, sweat, fat, tears, grease, saliva, snot, synovial fluid, urine, or anything else that’s water, watery, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This is called the interior water element.

And what is the interior fire element? Anything that’s fire, fiery, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This includes: that which warms, that which ages, that which heats you up when feverish, that which properly digests food and drink, or anything else that’s fire, fiery, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This is called the interior fire element.

And what is the interior air element? Anything that’s air, airy, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual. This includes: winds that go up or down, winds in the belly or the bowels, winds that flow through the limbs, in-breaths and out-breaths, or anything else that’s air, airy, and appropriated that’s internal, pertaining to an individual.

MN 28

This seems like a pretty straightforward description of the physical body as it was understood by common convention of the time as composed of the four elements. It is not E=MC^2 and does not talk about matter or energy, but I think it is probably the equivalent in terms of the common speech of the day.

Just because the Teacher talked like this does not for me indicate he believed in essence or that this was anything other than conventional understanding that was skillful and useful and used to indicate the common understanding of the world at the time.

Agreed.

It was meant as a conventional or conventient dichotomy and not meant as a fundamental dichotomy. Generally speaking, when people talk about dreams they tend to emphasize them as creations of the mind that occur while sleeping. That is the arena or conventional setting for most people when talking about dreams.

Of course, we could alternatively talk about the brain and the physical process behind dream formation just as we can talk about the dependence on mind for positing the designation of physical things. Either reference frame or paradigm can be chosen for discussion for either of these two phenomena; dreams can be talked about with recourse to physical law and physical objects can be talked about with recourse to their dependence upon mind to be merely designated.

Has the subtly substantialist implication gone ‘poof’ with my clarification above? :joy: Again, I agree that dreams can be talked about as depending upon the brain and physical processes and the physical can be talked about as depending upon the mind.

Sure! That is reasonable. If the dreamer doesn’t wake up and the dream has analogous properties to the human realm, then I suppose the dream corpse wouldn’t go ‘poof’ :joy: Moreover, it was a bit hasty for me to say that the dream corpse goes ‘poof’ upon waking up as the dream corpse has lingering effects; it does not just disappear without any causal trace on the brain or the mind.

Forget Dream Devin for a moment and consider Drawing Devin. Drawing Devin dies in a drawing (a two dimensional paper sketch) and is now Drawing Devin’s corpse. We can talk about Drawing Devin’s corpse as a figure of imagination of the mind and also as marks of pencil lead on paper. When a lighter is set to the paper it burns up, but Drawing Devin’s corpse does not go poof it transforms into smoke and soot and ash. :joy:

The same is true for a flame! Flames are chemical reactions that depend upon matter and heat and molecules and when a flame dies down embers form and then the embers cool and the energy radiates into the air as molecules heat up and fragments of what the chemical reaction feasted upon give off byproducts of soot and smoke that fill the air and are in turn ingested into the lungs of animals and so on. No flame ever went ‘poof’ and was fully extinguished in a substantialist way.

Yes! This detour in our conversation is strikingly reminiscent for me of a now since passed time when I was studying Nagarjuna’s emptiness and happened upon the thought that perhaps I was in a lucid dream. Have you ever experienced a lucid dream? It is the experience of waking up in a dream to realize it is a dream, but without actually fully waking up out of the dream. I’ve had this exhilarating and profound experience once or twice. The vividness of consciousness was as phenomenal as in this waking world.

I would caution though between seeing a lucid dream as an analogy for what the process of awakening might be like and mistaking this phenomenal world as a literal dream which we need to wake from. The positing of a literal dream relies upon the notion of one who is asleep in a real world having a dream about an illusory world. We don’t wake from dreams into Nibbana - at least I haven’t yet :joy: - we wake from dreams into Samsara with our heads lifting off the conventional pillow.

Ah, one of my favorites and a recent subject of discussion on this forum :slight_smile:

This dichotomy of the internal and external and its nature (fundamental or conventional) also came up in that thread on the interpretation of SN 12.15.

To believe this is a fundamental dichotomy relies upon finding and labeling Devin as some kind of substantial thing. I don’t think this is what you’re proposing. Rather, it seems to me you’re proposing a conventional dichotomy that might be useful or skillful. Do I have that right?

If I have it right, I’ll just briefly note that this isn’t the conventional dichotomy that the Teacher made where he described the living physical body as the internal form aggregate. I don’t know that he ever said the non-living physical body was the internal form aggregate, but I don’t see how the passing from living to non-living would alter labeling whether the same molecules were ‘external’ or ‘internal’ as per convention. What is skillful or useful in so altering?

On the other hand, if I’m wrong and you believe the dichotomy is fundamental, then you would have to explain how the passing from living to non-living would make the same molecules go from fundamentally internal to external. :man_shrugging:

Have I missed something or failed to understand/consider something? When you say especially internally I wonder again if I have it right that you’re proposing a merely conventional dichotomy between internal and external rather than something more fundamental.

Forget the corpse. As I said in that other thread devoted to the Kaccānagotta Sutta:

The Teacher also describes the internal and external form aggregate and the internal one includes the physical body. So we have at least one physical object in “the world” I guess?

Moreover, this internal form aggregate can act as a sense contact (read: external) for the internal six sense bases. At least I can experience my hand as an external sense contact even though it is the internal form aggregate.

It almost seems like what is internal and what is external is just a convention and that to believe there exists some fundamental dichotomy is an error that is predicated on the substantial view of the existence of a person in relation to the external world.

So in this current waking life we have what was described by the Teacher as the internal form aggregate being perceived by the internal sense bases as an external sense contact.

I’m afraid I’m still not sure what you think. Can you confirm that I’m right in my hypothesis that you don’t intend a fundamental dichotomy about internal and external but rather a merely conventional one?

And if I’m right, then how again do you mean - by this merely conventional dichotomy - to show that the Teacher ended the form aggregate?

As I said earlier, the consequences of hatred arise in the world long past the time when it ceases in the heart of an awakened one so in that sense I agree it does not go ‘poof’ :joy: :pray:

1 Like

Yes. To be clear, I did not come up with this myself. You will find similar ideas expressed by others. I’m not saying that the Buddha did not talk about what we would nowadays call matter. He talked about earthquakes and flooding and wildfires and so on. But I don’t think ‘rūpa’ refers to a substance or stuff “out there” when it’s being used in specifically Buddhist contexts. Obviously, if he is talking about a wild fire that is one thing. If he is talking about Buddhist philosophy, that is another thing. There is also obviously a pragmatic function. I wouldn’t say he is committing to a particular metaphysic one way or the other. But to look at your citation a bit:

So the primary definition for ‘earth element’ is via the properties “hard, solid.”

Do you think “hard” or “solid” exist independently of the perception of them? I would assume you don’t. I’m sure that for some beings, what seems very liquid and soft to me is actually very solid to them. And similarly, while I find rocks and so on very solid, the suttas speak of beings who are said to be able to pass through the earth:

“Then, late at night, the glorious god Hatthaka, lighting up the entire Jeta’s Grove, went up to the Buddha. Thinking, “I will stand before the Buddha,” he sank and melted down, and wasn’t able to stay still. It’s like when ghee or oil is poured on sand, it sinks and melts down, and can’t remain stable.”
AN 3.127

If “solid” existed independently and “out there,” and if this is what the Teacher intended, I don’t see how this god could melt through the earth while I find it very solid. The “solidity” out there that the Teacher intended would prevent the god from sinking. Do you agree?

Like I mentioned before, the suttas discuss the concept of “manomayā kāya,” that is “mind-made body.” This is differentiated from a more coarse subtle body, such as:

“‘This self has form, made up of the four primary elements […]
There is another self that is divine, having form, sensual, consuming solid food. […]
There is another self that is divine, having form, mind-made, whole in its major and minor limbs, not deficient in any faculty.”
DN 1

Here, one type of body is said to made of the four elements. Another, more subtle body, does not have that qualification but still is said to consume solid or substantial food. Another body is called mind-made and does not mention food or the four elements. This isn’t to say they are separate from the four elements. But I don’t think scientists have found any matter of mind-made beings anywhere as of yet. Also, as I mentioned before, things like “color” and even “taste” are included in rūpa. But color and taste are not matter or energy as I understand them. They depend on perception.

I think with ‘rūpa’ the Teacher is generally just pointing to the experience of things with physical properties from the perspective of beings, such as extension and taking up space, color, light, solidity, etc. I don’t take it as meant to endorse a metaphysics of matter ‘out there.’ The Jains and Ājīvikas, for example, seem to have had such a view. The Jain substances were called ‘astikāya,’ and Ven. Sujato has written on this and its connection to ‘sakkāya.’ To have a view of/around sakkāya is considered wrong view in Buddhism. So I doubt the Buddha held it.

Right, but with the dream-form examples I’m specifically breaking down that convention to show that matter is experienced as physical properties via perception. We can’t actually assume it as an external substance with the perceptual properties that we experience. It’s on par with a kind of naïve animism to me, where people may perceive objects as having souls and dualist spirits after extrapolating from their own inner view. So dreams are an example of how the same physical properties can be experienced and most people would agree that it is groundless to assert that there is stuff “out there” corresponding to the dream-matter. To deny it, BTW, is really just an assumption as far as I can tell. I don’t think anybody has even begun to prove that there is not a separate dream-world with dream-matter “out there” apart from brain scans during dreams. But brain activity doesn’t prove that there is not a corresponding substantial dream-world as far as I can tell. Not that I am adopting such a view.

I think we are in agreement. :slight_smile:

Thanks for clarifying. I also don’t deny that the the Teacher’s past body have consequences. In Sri Lanka, the Tooth Relic temple is a major cultural heritage site and one that is very relevant to Sri Lankan Buddhism to this day. Even if it did not house the Teacher’s actual relics, there is still an impact. I don’t see a fundamental distinction between ‘form’ and ‘hatred.’ Both can cease in the Teacher’s heart and sentient beings may still experience consequences of them. But at that point it becomes closer to trivia, to my mind. I don’t see anywhere where the Teacher talks about this in the early texts. Do you know of anywhere?

What I do know is the Teacher says, for example:

“They truly understand that form will disappear. They truly understand that feeling … perception … choices … consciousness will disappear. Rūpaṁ vibhavissatīti yathābhūtaṁ pajānāti. …
SN 22.55

Would you say the Teacher was wrong here? That form did not disappear, and that anybody can go to the Tooth Relic temple in Sri Lanka to prove him wrong? Assuming that those are his relics.

:laughing: More Devins!

I think both Drawing Devin and the fire go poof once the conditions for their designation are not manifest. To claim that Drawing Devin or the Fire continue is to assume there is a common substance that changes and has inherent properties that must carry over. Drawing Devin and a Fire are dependent designations. When the conditions for the Fire are absent, it doesn’t make sense to say the fire “continues” via its substance which changes shape. When the conditions for designating a drawing as “Devin” cease, it no longer makes sense to say Drawing Devin continue as some kind of substance which moves through space-time.

Drawing Devin’s corpse doesn’t “transform” into smoke or ash or anything at all anymore than it is substantially annihilated, because there is no Drawing Devin Corpse-stuff that can persist. When the conditions are no longer present for designating “Drawing Devin,” then we cannot designate “Drawing Devin.” To perceive ‘Drawing Devin’ independently of dependent designation as “transforming” or “changing shape” into new things like ash is to go beyond what we can say of Drawing Devin. Paper is paper. Lead is lead. Fire is fire. Smoke is smoke. Ash is ash. Paper is not lead. Lead is not fire. Fire is not smoke. Smoke is not ash. There is no “paper-lead-fire-smoke-ash” substance that can transform into these things.

Drawing Devin’s “Five Aggregates” (paper, lead, fire, smoke, ash) are not one substance, nor are they 5 substances. :joy:

“From a cow comes milk, from milk comes curds, from curds come butter, from butter comes ghee, and from ghee comes cream of ghee. And the cream of ghee is said to be the best of these. While it’s milk, it’s not referred to as curds, butter, ghee, or cream of ghee. It’s only referred to as milk. While it’s curd … or butter … or ghee … or cream of ghee, it’s not referred to as anything else, only under its own name.”
DN 9

When I was a child I believe I may have had a form of lucid dream, but it was quite weak. I think I was not 100% awake or conscious perhaps. Interesting to hear your experience!

Right. Well analogies are never perfect, no? But the point is that someone who wakes up in a dream knows that the dream will end and may no longer have fear from belief in the substantiality of the dream. Of course, there is a transition then to waking life. But that is the arising of another kind of insubstantial world as well — as you have agreed.

For the awakened ones, they would not wake up into a new world. That’s kind of the point. The focus is specifically on the ending of the dream, not the arising of something else afterwards, which only applies to un-awakened beings.

I’ll respond to the other part of your post in a separate comment. :smiley: Hope you are doing well in life and in the Dhamma, @yeshe.tenley !

1 Like

True, but then you stand on one of those small lego pieces and…

I once heard Samsara described as licking honey off a razor’s edge. For some reason that stuck with me.

Right, I’m not proposing that, at least not intentionally! See above for the discussion of Dependent Devin.

You lost me here. Maybe you can re-phrase. But this is what I think you may be saying:

1. “Internal form” refers to a living form of a being.
  2. When that body is no longer living, there is no reason to switch to calling it “external.”
  3. Therefore, form of beings is always “internal” whether living or not, in the Teacher’s conventions.

With the above premises, I would disagree on two grounds. One, I think that a living form can be external while living. Two, I do think that a non-living form would be designated as external, because it would no longer serve as a basis with consciousness.

I think the use or skillfulness of the distinction is quite obvious. I cannot see what another being sees. What I see depends on the spatio-temporal position of my eyes, which have a form-component. What other beings see depends on the spatio-temporal position of their eyes. We can go back to the definition you offered earlier:

“Appropriated” “internal, pertaining to an individual.” The word for ‘appropriated’ is upādinna, meaning “grasped [at the start of a new life from a prior one].” It is used for organic or living form as I understand it. “Pertaining to an individual” I take to be the person, i.e. the perceiving, thinking, feeling person. A non-living body does not belong to such a person anymore; it has been ‘cast aside.’ Moreover, it is no longer grasped internally as the basis for consciousness or as the living form derived from the kamma of an individual.

We could say that it did belong to the individual in the past and that such belonging and such individual are conventional, therefore it still can be said to belong and pertain to them. But I just don’t take this to be how the word ‘internal’ is implied. To me, ‘internal’ implies that something is the appropriated or grasped form of a sentient being from a previous life, not insentient form. It matters because insentient form does not experience pain (dukkha), does not have consciousness (viññāṇa), and does not have volition (saṅkhārā). Obviously there are clear ethical implications here. To me, those ethical implications are part of the skillfulness for this distinction.

Now, to quasi-contradict myself for a moment, I think that we can designate living form as “external” relative to another perceiver. In this context, “external” simply means “relative to what does not pertain to X individual.” So any form which is not my form is external to me. But, crucially, I can recognize that it is internal from the perspective of that being. So it still has the ethical dimension of ‘internal form’ as mentioned before. It is just not internal from the perspective of someone else. By contrast, non-living form is not internal from the perspective of any being, it is always external in these terms. I hope that distinction is clear.

I’m proposing the same dichotomy that you do when you say that hatred ceased internally for the Teacher and not for other beings. Do you think that there is a fundamental distinction between the hatred that ceased for the Teacher and the hatred that did not cease for other beings, or merely a conventional one? It is that same type of distinction being made here with form, as always.

I have to say, it’s an interesting coincidence that this is arising here. Recently, I’ve learned a bit about Arthuer Schopenhauer’s philosophy. Do you know about his ideas? :slight_smile: The contemporary philosopher, Bernardo Kastrup, is heavily influenced by him. He’s been mentioned on the forum here before. If I’m not mistaken you know of Kastrup and his ideas.

Anyway, Schopenhauer apparently thought there was something special we could learn about this interesting dualism! On the one hand, our form appears to us as an external object, or representation, like other external form. But on the other hand, it appears to us internally. I suppose what Schopenhauer called the Will. Maybe you know all about this.

Right. Another way of phrasing it, which may be helpful, is the distinction between “sentient form” “insentient form” “internal form” and “external form.” Here is a way of mapping the concepts:

All internal form is sentient. But not all sentient form is internal.
All insentient form is external. But not all external form is insentient.

These are all just ways of speaking that make discussing form, ethics, and Buddhism easier in certain contexts. When sentient beings pass from one state to another, form changes. Even in this life, my form is different than 10 years ago! And at the same time, much of what I previously considered “internal form” I might now consider “external form!” There’s a constant exchange!

The elements meditation Meggers referenced is a fun one for contemplating internal/external — have you ever practiced it? It’s worth a try! My preceptor really enjoys the 6 elements contemplation which includes space and consciousness.

Again, in the same way that he ended hatred. He didn’t literally end all hatred in the world. In the same way, he didn’t literally end the form aggregate in the world. :joy:

What I’m advocating is just Buddhism 101. I quoted a discourse above where the Teacher claimed that awakened beings know form will disappear. And yet, supposedly, his form is in Sri Lanka at a popular tourist attraction! Moreover, hatred is rampant in the world! Either this proves the Buddha was wrong, or it says we should re-consider what he meant, understanding that it was meaningful and not non-sensical.

“The Tathāgata’s body remains, but his conduit to rebirth has been cut off. As long as his body remains he will be seen by gods and humans. But when his body breaks up, after life has ended, gods and humans will see him no more.”
DN 1

:pray:

1 Like