What is the meaning of Nirattā, in Tuvaṭṭakasutta?

Ajjhattaṃ upasantassa, natthi attā kuto nirattā vā.

Above stanza from Tuvaṭṭakasutta is explained in Mahaāniddesa as follows.
“natthi attā kuto nirattā vāti. natthīti paṭikkhepo. attāti attadiṭṭhi natthi; nirattāti ucchedadiṭṭhi natthi. attāti gahitaṃ natthi; nirattāti muñcitabbaṃ natthi
(Tuvaṭṭakasuttaniddeso)

There is another stanza in Duṭṭhaṭṭhakasuttaniddesa which is explained same way.
attā nirattā nahi tassa atthi, adhosi so diṭṭhimidheva sabbaṃ.
(Duṭṭhaṭṭhakasuttaniddesa)

There are two meanings to the word Nirattā.

1. Niratta [Sk. *nirātman, nis+attan] soulless; view of soullessness or unsubstantiality;
  2. Niratta [Sk. nirasta, pp. of nirasyati, see nirassati] rejected, thrown off, given up;

Is the word “Niratta” in above stanzas represent the view of soullessness or simply rejecting something?
Is soullessness similar to no-self?
Is really the view of soullessness belongs to the doctrine of annihilation?

1 Like

Here it’s the second meaning, though the commentary appears to be playing with the senses, invoking both self/annihilation and taking up/releasing.

The etymology you give seems persuasive, but the Critical Pali Dictionary gives the root as √dā, i.e the same root as dāna, but the prefix ā gives the sense of “back towards”, so “taking” rather than giving. KR Norman, in his note to Snp 788, shows that the term echoes nirassati in verse Snp 785, proving that this derivation is correct.

2 Likes

Bhante @sujato, I appreciate your reply, I had the same idea that Niratta has the second meaning. But, Polwatre Buddhadatta Thero (hope you may have heard of) used this in a debate with the 1st meaning. Therefore, I just wanted to confirm.

1 Like