What is your fear?

Great Dhamma talk by Bhante Sujato.
What really special about this Dhamma talk is the audience participation. It appears many of us are living with fear but fear to talk about it.
The sound quality of my computer was not great due to the echo of the room. It is great if we can get a transcript of this video.
Meanwhile, I like to discuss your experience with fear and how you handle it.

4 Likes

I continually live with fear even though it is getting better lately.
Right now I have the fear of the moderators and the fear how others will respond to my topic even though I act in good faith.
How I handle my fear is by the contemplation of Anicca, Dukkha and Anatta.
I think it is really working for me. yesterday one of the contractors work on my project threatened to pull out of my project. I had a sudden fear as he is the only person I can get within my budget to do finish the job.
Instead of reacting to him with anger I was knid to him and explain my situation. Within two hours the matter sorted out and he was thanking me and ready to help me.

8 Likes

Fear doesn’t always come from an identifiable source, for me. Sometimes I get a sense of unease that comes out of seemingly nowhere, then feeds on itself to become a pretty big distraction. It used to really get me down because how can you fix a problem if you don’t really know where it came from? Fortunately, I’ve been able to start recognizing the early moments and can let the feeling pass without much disturbance.

Great! Isn’t it nice to realize that you’ve started to create some space between events and your reaction to them? It gets even better when you notice that space get bigger, little bits at a time. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

My greatest discovery by listening to above Dhamma talk is that we all are living with fear. Even if someone attack you it is with fear that the other person act like that.

5 Likes

In my meditation, I often try to direct my attention to fears that have some cognitive source and can be identified with careful attention. But I also tend to think we carry around a mass of fear whose sources are so primitive and primordial that it is hard to examine them.

For example, we all have a beating heart that our bodies just seem programmed to contract around and protect. It seems like many things, even a sharp sudden noise can trigger that heart clutching response.

But our societies often contain many reasons for fear.

8 Likes

Do you find that such contemplation sometimes leads to fear?

2 Likes

Actually, it makes me very happy.
I see the fruitless nature of our mundane effort.
When the things go wrond it does not bother me so much.
It helps me to be very kind and sympathy towards other people.
Especially for people who do not understand Dhamma.

3 Likes

Fear is a trickster and when looked directly at with a mind not moving forward, not moving back, but not standing still … he will eventually fade away into thin air

Fear is fun!

Perhaps with wisdom.
But it is real.
There is no fun living in a war zone unless you are a warmonger.

But I am not a warmonger, I am a jolly green giant walking the earth, armed with parsley leaf’s, and powered by keeping the five precepts…

The power of the five precepts is for real!

3 Likes