What type of female/ male smell or taste is so attractive for a man or a woman?

In the Anguttara Nikāya, the Buddha declares that there is no smell or taste more enticing for a man than that of a woman, and vice versa.

Do you have an idea what the Buddha is referring to ?

Maybe you were referring to this sutta: AN 1.1-10 Cittapariyādānavagga

I think you can refer to this sutta to have better idea: AN 5.55 Mātāputtasutta

Compared to the sight of a woman, I do not see a single sight that is so arousing, sensuous, intoxicating, captivating, and infatuating, and such an obstacle to reaching the supreme sanctuary from the yoke. Sentient beings are lustful, greedy, tied, infatuated, and attached to the sight of a woman. They sorrow for a long time under the sway of a woman’s sight.

Compared to the sound … smell … taste … touch of a woman, I do not see a single touch that is so arousing, sensuous, intoxicating, captivating, and infatuating, and such an obstacle to reaching the supreme sanctuary from the yoke. Sentient beings are lustful, greedy, tied, infatuated, and attached to the touch of a woman. They sorrow for a long time under the sway of a woman’s touch.

When a woman walks, she occupies a man’s mind. When a woman stands … sits … lies down … laughs … speaks … sings … cries … is injured, she occupies a man’s mind. Even when a woman is dead, she occupies a man’s mind. For if anyone should be rightly called ‘an all-round snare of Māra’, it’s females.

So it seems to me: It does not restrict to a particular type but any type of smell or taste that considered belonging to females, all of them can be so attractive to males.

2 Likes

Pheromones? :joy: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s weird that we can find attractive the smell or taste of the opposite gender. It might be another perversion of mind. For what is to be smelled or tasted ? It’s just disgusting stuff.

It would mean that we are not only fooled by our way of seeing, but also by our ways of hearing, smelling, and so on. By all the sense-medias, ignorance blinds us.

Weird?
It’s the state of samsaric existence.

3 Likes

Very good answer, thankyou :pray:

So, there is no attachment that tempts us more than the opposite sex.

Sometimes I think that why it’s happen ?
Perhaps because of our tendency to like the opposite sex and live in celibacy with them in many past live. Most of our lives, we will live with the opposite sex if we are celibate.

A nice illustration of some ambivalence with this (unfortunately I have it only in german; from “Calvin and Hobbes” by Bill Watterson):