What's your practice routine?

wonderful ! :anjal:

I have no parents–I make the heavens and earth my parents.

I have no home–I make awareness my home.

I have no life or death–I make the tides of breathing my life and death.

I have no divine power–I make honesty my divine power.

I have no means–I make understanding my means.

I have no magic secrets–I make character my magic secret.

I have no body–I make endurance my body.

I have no eyes–I make the flash of lightening my eyes.

I have no ears–I make sensibility my ears.

I have no limbs–I make promptness my limbs.

I have no strategy–I make “unshadowed by thought” my strategy.

I have no designs–I make “seizing opportunity by the forelock” my design.

I have no miracles–I make right-action my miracles.

I have no principles–I make adaptability to all circumstances my principles.

I have no tactics–I make emptiness and fullness my tactics.

I have no talents–I make ready wit my talent.

I have no friends–I make my mind my friend.

I have no enemy–I make carelessness my enemy.

I have no armor–I make benevolence and righteousness my armor.

I have no castle–I make immovable-mind my castle.

I have no sword–I make absence of self my sword.

[samurai warrior creed]

4 Likes

From AN 3.61 :

At this point, I see myself simply as someone who has felt and understood the feverish burden of sensual thirst, disease and vanity.

Yes, I fully agree. My internet usage has gradually lessened to a handful of sites, and SC is an indulgence too that has to be given up at some point.

In my case, I simply lost interest in the din of the world. Sorry that I don’t have anything more profound to offer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“if your friend has passed away,
And your teacher is past and gone,
There’s no friend like
Mindfulness of the body”

theragāthā 17.3. Ānanda

7 Likes

Thank you Rosie for Having the courage to bring up this common challenge in meditation. Your question has caused me to investigate and think about it further, which is benefiting my practice! I’m also really enjoying revisiting a Ajahn Brahm’s talks on meditation. I just learned he translates samadhi as stillness as opposed to concentration , which connotates effort.

He also has some other interesting approaches and similes to quieting and relaxing the mind and body. For example, I’m finding his similes on how thoughts of the past and future oppress the mind almost continuously. This is not a new discovery, but revisiting it with a fresh perspective and learning from Ajahn Brahm has been helpful.

Again, thank you for the inspiration!

2 Likes

A rather jolly, perhaps cheerful monk who spreads his joy and wisdom with generosity. He is my favorite monk/teacher too. :smiley:

Are you familiar with a 'Truckload of Shit?":

And Thank You for that!

3 Likes

:slight_smile: I have just set this as my landing spot for D&D, by making it my go-to bookmark; it seems lovely to me.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/guidelines

1 Like

I can…and have been too dense for my own good. I did not understand. Were you saying that you were making the guidelines your

or was there some subtle thing that I missed.? Or perhaps it had nothing to do with me as you did not direct your comment to a certain person or post?

I read it to mean that ERose was making the guidelines (good practice for discussions) part of her practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Rosie @Viveka yes, i meant it as i am making it part of my practice, a probably temporary discipline (edit: to read each time; but i hope to cultivate Right Speech deeply). It only has to do with you (or anyone!) if it resonates or inspires, just a positive i wanted to share.

1 Like

Ohhhhh, Duh, that makes sense. I got stuck thinking about meditation, and forgot about the other possibilities. Thanks for the reminder, and good job!

2 Likes

<Contemplate the entire body… air travels throughout, just like holes to lotus roots or a fish net”, “also observes inhalations and exhalations throughout all hair pores and the nine apertures”. (All from “Dhyānasamādhi Sūtra” of Sarvāstivādin Kaśmir)>
Can you share link or pdf of the text