Which main Suttas/parts of the Vinaya Piṭaka best describe all the aspects of each precept?

I consider Bhikkhu Bodhi to be highly trustworthy and I am very much grateful for his BPS Wheel Publication Going for Refuge & Taking the Precepts [PDF] (which is very good). However, I would like to study the precepts—similarly to this part (non-PDF) of the work mentioned—but with the Tipiṭaka.

Is there one or a small number of Suttas, or parts of the Vinaya Piṭaka, which describe the different aspects of each precept? Or are the points mentioned by Bhikkhu Bodhi mostly scattered around in many different parts of the Sutta Piṭaka/Vinaya Piṭaka/Abhidhamma?

If there is one or a small number of Suttas/parts of the Vinaya Piṭaka which give a good general overview of all the aspects of the precepts, which ones are they?

4 Likes

Have you checked the Vibhanga?

https://suttacentral.net/pi-tv-bu-vb

3 Likes

The details in the vinaya are a somewhat different to the training for lay people.

This sutta covers the first 4 training rules for laypeople

An4.50 on the 5th

8 Likes

It’s not what I was looking for, but it is an excellent Sutta! Thanks.

I was hoping there was a Sutta (or even a part of the Visuddhimagga) which delved deeper and described each precept in more detail (particularly the 4th precept regarding deception).

At least I have Bhikkhu Bodhi’s BPS publication. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re interested in right speech then An.5.198 and mn58 abhya sutta are what I use when discussing this training rule.

3 Likes

Thank you.