Which Sutta discuss five Jhanas?

Generally, Abhidhamma describes Jhana in five stages and Sutta describes Jhana in four stages.
Which Sutta describes the Jhana in five stages?

It appears it is called Panchangika Samadhi Sutta AN3 according to the following video.
This video is in the Sinhalese language. Sorry.

I don’t think that sutta (AN 5.28) speaks about a fifth jhana.

Five stages of jhanas are abhidhamma classification because there are some people that elimitate vitakka & vicara separately.

2 Likes

Thanks.
What is Savitakka Savicara in the second Jhana?
Is Vitakk Vicara include both wholesome and unwholesome thoughts?

Aren’t vitakka and vicara removed in the 2nd jhana?

There are vitakka and vicara cetasika which accompies all type of consciousness. Whether they are kusala or akusala depends on the type of citta. In meditation if one’s mind is not wandering I assume it is a kusala citta.

Can I say all four Jhana has Kusala Citta?
I got this idea from the following video. I am sorry it is in Sinhalese.

If an academic, rather than a skilled practitioner was describing the dhamma, I could see them starting with five jhana factors of the first jhana and reducing one by one, for each successive jhana, thereby arriving at 5 Rupa jhana. Real practice is more messier, and jhana factors alter unpredictability- one needs to go in to the jhana and see actually what changes.

With metta

1 Like

AN 8.63 has fivefold jhāna.

Definitely. But in abhidhamma terms they are called rupavacara citta.

1 Like

Is the link correct? In the English translation, bhariya sutta contains explanation on seven types of wife.

1 Like

Ah, sorry. It’s AN 8.63 (not AN 7.63).

2 Likes

There’s no clear mention of jhana in the AN8.63, just variations in the jhana factors. I believe these are advanced samadhi practices that one does when one has gain good control over these factors. Yesterday I conducted a discussion in the local temple on the seemingly simple Ananpanasati sutta (MN118). The stages became increasingly complex quickly, the deeper the practice got, but people were quick to identify them with signs of superficial levels of progress.

with metta

Does that mean we do not have to emerge from Jhana to practice Vipassana?

The fivefold jhāna theme is based on a jhāna having both vitakka and vicāra, and the second (fivefold) jhāna having only vicāra.

When this concentration has been developed and cultivated by you in this way, then you should develop this concentration with thought and examination; you should develop it without thought but with examination only; you should develop it without thought and examination. You should develop it with rapture; you should develop it without rapture; you should develop it accompanied by comfort; and you should develop it accompanied by equanimity.1765
— transl., Bhikkhu Bodhi

Here is Bhikkhu Bodhi’s footnote:

1. Mp: “This is the meaning: ‘When, bhikkhu, you have developed this fundamental concentration of loving-kindness in such a way, you should not be satisfied merely with this much, but you should attain four and five jhānas [in the fivefold jhāna scheme] in regard to other meditation objects. Thus you should develop it according to the method “with thought and examination” and so forth.’” While, in the jhāna scheme of the Nikāyas, the transition from the first to the second jhāna is marked by the simultaneous elimination of thought (vitakka) and examination (vicāra), other texts distinguish samādhi as threefold: as with thought and examination, without thought but with examination, and without thought and examination (see DN 33.1.10, III 219,19–20; MN 128.31, III 162,13–16; SN 43:3, IV 360,11–13). This middle stage of samādhi gave rise, in the Abhidhamma, to a fivefold scheme of jhānas that inserts, after the first jhāna, a second jhāna that is without thought but with examination. This scheme then renumbers the second, third, and fourth jhānas of the fourfold scheme as the third, fourth, and fifth jhānas to obtain a fivefold scheme. The samādhi with rapture (sappÄĢtika) includes the first and second jhānas (of the fourfold scheme); that without rapture (nippÄĢtika) includes the third and fourth jhānas. The samādhi with comfort (sātasahagata) is the third jhāna, and the samādhi with equanimity (upekkhāsahagata) the fourth jhāna.
1 Like