Whither flies the free bird?

What would you like to know? I was an engineer on Public Content and Privacy from 2012–2015.

Yeah, I was setting up a spectrum with laissez-faire antagonism on one end and nationalizing the industry on the other end, because I think most reasonable people will agree that the ideal policy should fall somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, absolutely.

3 Likes

We wont tho, because capitaliam is an illusion, and as soon as it becomes clear that the system actually works the US or the UN or whoever will arrest Musk for “hate speach” or “tax fraud” or whatever and take the keys without so much as a thank you for your service.

Whether this is any better than letting the son of south african emerald mine owners run things is of course open to question, but believe me, its the people with the nukes and the armies who have the actual power, not the people with the money.

You can have all the robux in the world but when roblox changes the api your still a broke fool like the rest of us.

Metta

I stuggle to imagine anything more horrifying.

“Sorry jo, the computers assure us that in all thier models you being dead is better for the species in a thousand years.”

“Oh… no, sorry, the computers say that painless euthanasia in this case is actually not the optimal solution, apperantly by brutally torturing you on live simulcast we bring more joy to the millions of viewers than your agonising death pains you, so…”

Fingers crossed the AI’s stay safely on the internet writing affirmations and drawing astronauts on horses and whatnot and morals and ethics remain the sphere of the individual conscience.

1 Like

There is no “in space”, anyone who understands basic physics knows we’re not leaving this planet.

• The speed of light is roughly 1 billion km/h, and even at that speed it would take about 5 hours to get to pluto, to get to the nearest star Proxima Centauri, it would take 4,200 light years. Humans can’t even travel 1 percent of the speed of light, let alone leave our neighborhood that is our solar system. We can’t even leave our solar system, our own backyard, how do you expect us to even leave our own galaxy? Impossible. It’s like trying to crawl on your hands from your home in America to China, times a billion. You’re stuck on the Island that is Earth.
  • This video and site visualizes why we’re handicapped in our ability to go anywhere - https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visualizing-the-speed-of-light-fast-but-slow/
  • For the reasons above, it doesn’t matter if there’s aliens or life in the universe, no one is visiting us because it’s biologically impossible, maybe AI androids will replace us and visit other planets, but not the Homo genus. Maybe AI from other parts of the universe will visit us, but not biological beings.
  • People bring up the Alcubierre drive, but it’s wishful science fiction thinking, and not based in science
  • Nasa/CSA recently figured out that humans in space get red blood cell destruction and mutation. Scientists Find Increased Red Blood Cell Destruction During Spaceflight - NASA.

In conclusion: Humans (homo genus to be specific) have evolved and adapted to Earth over hundreds of millions of years. There’s absolutely no way we’re going to survive in space, we’re not going to “live” on other planets. We have only one planet to call home, take care of, and save, and that’s Earth. Imho money spent on space is wasted, it should be redirected to saving Earth.

1 Like

This is a perfect example of how utilitarianism is absurd, and routinely leads to absurd circumstances, for example, what if in the future the hundreds of billions of galactic humans lead miserable lives enslaved to the galactic emperor, and nuking the planet today would actually reduce the amount of future suffering more than it would reduce the amou t of future happines?

Placed in very narrow boundaries, utilising very broadly accepted measure and relying on undeniably reliable predictikns and statistics, it is possible to take utilitarian principles and apply them in sensible ways to inform public policy.

As a wierd hybridizatiin with speculative science fiction it is what it has always been as a moral philosophy of the individual: absurd, and most often advocated by privileged white men with poor social skills and what is politley referd to these days as “spectrum-y” dispositions.

The fact is that applying math to even simple physical systems is notoriously difficult, and the idea that there might be some way of applying arithmatic to solve the moral problems of the species was niave (and unconsciously imperialist and colonial) when Bentham and Mill proposed it in the 19th century and it remains so today.

Thankfully for those of us living in fedralised liberal democracies under the rule of law this is not in fact the way moral, ethical and political descisions are made and arbitrated. Thank the gods.

Oh I know. But that’s how he sees it.

I should have added neuralink to the above list of Musk’s investments. The goal is I believe to upload consciousness to a computer, than that will colonize the galaxy.

Our minds will live on Musk’s servers. Better not think bad thoughts about Elon!

Of course this also won’t happen, for even deeper reasons than living in space (at least we know what space is.)

Great point, and I think the astonishing success of physics makes us overlook how hard it has been to get to this point.

(I just made a Mastodon account, not really for posting, just checking it out.)

2 Likes

He’s late to the game, a Russian billionaire along with the famous Raymond Kurzweil (MIT, IBM & Google) have been working on Project 2045 for a few decades already.

milestones_small_en

8 posts were split to a new topic: Effects of neoliberalism in Canadian cities