Who is Prajapati?

Hi all, just curious if the Buddha is referring to Mara by Pajapati.

Metta

Pajapati is one of the ancient Vedic gods. The name literally means "Lord (pati) of Creatures (pajā, i.e. people or generation who have been created). Given the very generic nature of the name, it is used quite loosely in Brahmanical mythology generally, and might be applied to any of various gods, usually in their aspect of creation.

In the Buddhist texts Pajapati is not as standardized or common as other figures such as Sakka or Mara, but as you point out, he is mentioned from time to time.

Itā€™s not a term for Mara.

7 Likes

Does Pajapati Gotami related to this?

1 Like

Well, not literally, itā€™s just a name. But as so often in Pali names, it hovers between a purely personal name and a descriptive epitaph. Pajāpati also means ā€œwifeā€, i.e. ā€œbearer of childrenā€, and suggests an archetypal role for the Buddhaā€™s stepmother.

In White Bones Red Rot Black Snakes I played with some of the mythic and psychological possibilities of this, and how she, as the ā€œrealā€ mother responsible for upbringing contrasted with the ā€œmagicalā€ mother of physical birth, i.e. Māyā.

But this is of course mythologizing, not history. In fact thereā€™s no reason to think Pajāpati wasnā€™t simply her name.

5 Likes