Who wants to learn Pali?

I’m just getting back into a Suttacentral habit and saw this topic. Count me in- depending on the start date.

I was worried I had missed the course, but it appears it hasn’t started yet?

I am about to start a two month sprint in German classes. I’m not sure I can learn German and Pali at the same time!

4 Likes

Rad = Wheel in German
Rath = Carriage/Chariot in Pali

Jugend = youth in German
Yobbana = youth in Pali

Beugen = to bend in German
Bhuja = bending in Pali

Maul = mouth in German
Mukha = mouth in Pali

And there are many more! :smile:

5 Likes

I appreciated the bump, otherwise I might not have noticed this thread.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Prep for Bhante Sujato’s course by starting Warder

A very generous offer which, if taken up by people, will hopefully happen in it’s own thread. Thank you for offering to share your skills with the community.

I believe Bhante still plans to teach this course.
Scroll to the bottom of the thread, and change your notification settings to ‘watching’ and you will be notified when this thread is updated.

1631074931899-blobid0

7 Likes

That’s the spirit! :pray:
There are recordings of both Ajahn Brahmali and Bhikkhu Bodhi teaching from Warder. @stu’s link that Onze above provided probably has links to both.

I need all the revision I can get. My PhD in Linguistics allows me to understand quite easily, but my aging memory is losing its capacity to retain. I’d be happy to join any group you cobble together.

but you don’t say what time zone you are in? If you click on the calendar icon towards the right of the menu bar above the text box, it will allow you to specify your time zone. It then makes the appropriate conversions for each one of your readers.

These are video recordings of live workshops he gave in Sri Lanka at the end of last year. Somebody else is editing and uploading them. Nevertheless, Bhante @sujato is always very busy (sadhu sadhu sadhu). Hopefully he’ll remember this amazing offer he made us soonish.

EDIT: The following wasn’t showing when I wrote the above. Renders my remarks superfluous.

2 Likes

In the meantime, I recommend going through Bhikkhu Bodhi’s Pali Primer course if you haven’t already:

It sounds like Bhante Sujato’s class will be pretty tough, so it’s a good idea to get a “head start” on the fundamentals. :wink:

8 Likes

I like the word ‘gentle’. :grin:

2 Likes

Again, please start your own thread?

1 Like

@Jake I have made a new thread for you, Prep for Bhante Sujato’s course by starting Warder.
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/prep-for-bhante-sujatos-course-by-starting-warder/28507/4

4 Likes

Dear @asci & @ACR ,

Welcome to Discuss & Discover, the discussion forum associated with SuttaCentral , informally referred to as “the Forum”. We are pleased to have you, and we hope that you find much to interest you.

Before adding any posts, please browse through some threads and read the Forum Guidelines . We offer this service as part of our Dhamma practice, as the suttas say that conversation about Dhamma is part of the eight-fold path. We hope that you will use it in the same way.

You can find more information on using the forum effectively in our FAQ . Please also take a moment to review our Guide to the Forum Guidelines for a succinct overview.

These last two can also be accessed at any time by clicking the “FAQ” link in the hamburger menu to the left of your user icon, and the Guidelines by clicking the “About” link and then clicking “Guidelines”.

A list of the current moderators is maintained here . For assistance using the site, please send a direct/personal message to @helpdesk-dd, and for general questions to @moderators. We look forward to getting to know you.

With metta,
The Mods

Acceptance, being easy to speak to,
The sight of good practitioners,
And timely conversation about Dhamma:
This is the greatest blessing.
Maṅgala Sutta, Kp 5.10

1 Like

I would very much like to be involved in this course!

I am currently enrolled in a very good “Pali 101” course at Yogic Studies.
We’re going pretty slowly - a declension a week & so far only Present indicative of masculine and neuter a-stem verbs. The goal is to be reading full sentences by the end of the 12 week term. I plan on continuing to Pali 102 which ends in December 2023. I’ve been dipping into Warder on the side at the suggestion of our excellent teacher.
If the course is set to begin next year, I may be up to snuff! Really interested in translation and have enjoyed reading yours alongside others. Greatly appreciate the comparative glossary of your and Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translations.

Only downside for me might be that I’m in Europe …but I’d stay up one night a week.

3 Likes

If it is not too late, I would like to participate too
Much mettā :pray:

3 Likes

it’s happening folks!

13 Likes

Thank you for informing us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Bhante, can I join your course?

The course has finished

Missed out on this course? See

1 Like