Why does SN 36.11 refer to breathing ceasing in the 4th jhana?

Dear forum

Venerable Teachers such as Ajahn Brahm have shared with us there are not objects of the five physical senses in any jhana. The offering of Ajahn Brahm seems consistent with suttas such as MN 43 which say the 1st jhana only has five factors, namely, vitakka, vicara, piti, sukha & ekaggata.

Assuming the above is true, for what purpose would SN 36.11 refer to the breathing “ceased (niruddhā)” and “tranquilized (paṭippassaddhā)” in the 4th jhana?

Thank you

1 Like

Do you know why on MN 100, Bodhisatta try to cut off the breath but unsuccessfully?

yannūnāhaṁ appāṇakaṁyeva jhānaṁ jhāyeyyan’ti.
‘Why don’t I keep practicing the breathless meditation?’

If you know this, then you know why the breath cease and tranquilize at 4th jhana. Once fully developed, the breath indeed cease, and one is completely reached upekkhāsatipārisuddhiṁ.

Puna caparaṁ, māṇava, bhikkhu sukhassa ca pahānā dukkhassa ca pahānā pubbeva somanassadomanassānaṁ atthaṅgamā adukkhamasukhaṁ upekkhāsatipārisuddhiṁ catutthaṁ jhānaṁ upasampajja viharati.

SN 36.11 contains the term assāsapassāsā. It is unlikely assāsapassāsā means “breathing”. It looks like assāsapassāsā is a specific term meaning inhalation & exhalation, i.e., the movement of the breathing. It looks like SN 36.11 is explaining in the 4th jhana there is no movement of the breathing, i.e., it is the movement of the breathing that has ceased & tranquilized. This does not necessarily infer the assāsapassāsā was felt in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd jhanas. It is likely to only be explaining when the pleasant feelings cease & only equanimity remains, this equanimity is so profound, settled & still that not even any movement, ripple or vibration of breathing can be felt.

That is something that just happens. And one is aware of this too.