Why exclude the supramundane mind in DN22?

In the section of observing the mind (cittānupassanā) (DN ii 299: [SuttaCentral], there are 16 types of mind such as mind with greed, mind without greed, mind with hate and mind without hate. Some types of mind such as mind immersed in meditation (samāhita-citta) and liberated mind (vimutti-citta) seem like they can occur not only in worldly ones but also in the noble ones. In other words, some of these kinds of mind seem including supramundane mind (lokuttara-citta). But commentaries and sub-commentaries mentions all these types of mind to the only mundane mind (lokiya-citta) and they exclude the supramundane mind.
My questions are here:
Why do they not include the supramundane mind?
Can supramundane mind not be the object of insight meditation for the noble ones?

with mettā

2 Likes

The mind states experienced by the noble persons would be: without lust, without anger, without delusion, unsurpassable, liberated.
It’s self-explanatory that the unsurpassable and liberated mind states are supramundane.
Surpassable/unsurpassable refers to the step-by-step subject development in suttas such as MN 121.

Then, do you have any idea why commentators do not accept the supra-mundane mind in the section of cittānupassanā and the supra-mundane mind cannot be the object of insight meditation for the noble ones?

The arahants and all levels of noble persons practice mindfulness including of the state of mind:

“An arahant should attend in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. Although, for an arahant, there is nothing further to do, and nothing to add to what has been done, still these things — when developed & pursued — lead both to a pleasant abiding in the here-&-now and to mindfulness & alertness.”—SN 22.122

1 Like

So sorry, Dhamma friend! I am asking about the supra-mundane mind, not the generic meditative objects for the noble ones. I am clear that Arahant, too, should practice five clinging-aggregates. I think you know that there is no supra-mundane mind in five clinging-aggregates. The five clinging aggregates are mundane (that should be discussed). Therefore, I just want to know why they exclude the supra-mundane mind in the section of contemplating the mind (DN 22). And cannot the supra-mundane mind be the object of insight meditation for the noble ones.

1 Like

This discussion might go much further if you cite “they” extracting the specific quote, reference etc… :wink:

2 Likes

In line with what you write, isn’t it better this topic is moved to the discussion category?

:anjal:

3 Likes