Wikipedia's info on "Pre-sectarian Buddhism"

Suppose it were granted that the suttas in question were from approximately the same time as the rest. The Atthakavagga and many suttas consistent with its no views message still are at odds with the rest of the canon doctrinally.

When the Buddha says

The cleansed one has no formulated view
at all in the world about the different realms.
Snp 4.3

and confirms

And what have I not declared? I have not declared the following: … ‘a Realized One doesn’t exist after death,’ ‘a Realized One both exists and doesn’t exist after death,’ ‘a Realized One neither exists nor doesn’t exist after death.’
MN63

But then turns around as says

Feeling the end of the body approaching, they understand: ‘I feel the end of the body approaching.’ Feeling the end of life approaching, they understand: ‘I feel the end of life approaching.’ They understand: ‘When my body breaks up and my life has come to an end, everything that’s felt, since I no longer take pleasure in it, will become cool right here. Only bodily remains will be left.’
SN12.51

It is difficult and arguably impossible for an honest person not to see a glaring contradiction here. In SN12.51 he is declaring what happens to the Buddha after death.

Karmic retribution falls prey to similar arguments.

I doubt anyone would care if the Atthakavagga was very early Buddhism or not except that it so blatantly contradicts so much of what modern Buddhism holds dear. Something has got to give.

This may be of interest

5 Likes

I think the most productive way to carve up the canon at its joints is looking at major doctrinal differences, apparent criticism and counter criticism, as well as attempts at reconciliation. At least you can see the interaction between emerging schools of thought. This requires acknowledgment that the canon is not homogeneous.

Hopefully, archeology will start to yield more fruit. Hard evidence of the where and when of the migration of Brahmanism could be decisive.

With regard to the possibility of there not being an historical Buddha, it could be that the consensus of schools of thought were personified without any single individual warranting the title of founder.

Thanks for sharing this.