Wrong views due the khandhas being impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-self

Pretty much the same thing as the Sarvāstivāda, Mūlasarvāstivāda, and Mahīśāsaka despising Mahākāśyapa as with Sāriputta in Mahayana:

While depictions of Śāriputra in the Pāli Canon generally portray him as a wise and powerful arhat , second only to the Buddha, Mahayanatexts give him a wider range of depictions. Some Mahayana sutras portray him as a great Buddhist disciple while others portray him as a counterpoint with insufficient understanding of Mahayana doctrine, representative of the Hinayana tradition.[94][95][96] Buddhist studies scholar Donald S. Lopez Jr. describes the latter as “intentional irony” aimed at depicting how profound Mahayana doctrine is by showing that even the wisest “Hinayana” disciple had difficulty understanding it.[91]

Since I already have a copy of

Great Disciples of the Buddha: Their Lives, Their Works, Their Legacy (The Teachings of the Buddha).

(that has just been there on the book shelf collecting dust)

I now, after finding out about this whole Sarvāstivāda, Mūlasarvāstivāda, and Mahīśāsaka despising Mahākāśyapa, really have an urge to thoroughly study it! :anjal:

1 Like

I’m really confused by this thread :slight_smile:

There seems to be three positions on nibbana:

1. cessation
  2. invisible consciousness outside the five khandas
  3. don’t have a view about it/indescribable by words/ineffable

Am I missing something? Is anyone saying anything else than one of these three?

I think thats about it, but I think 2 & 3 are often treated as the same

And everyone agrees that the sentence “there is no self” is true if we restrict ourselves to the five khandas?

Edit: ‘True’ in the sense of reflecting what the Buddha means when he says the khandas are anatta.

Does anyone object to sentences like “there’s no self in the five khandas”?

Is there a difference between saying the khandas are not-self, and saying things like “no self exists in the five khandas”?

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread, but I think that “everyone” agrees with that. However, check out this link, How Early Buddhism differs from Theravada: a checklist and look at the first topic “overdetermination of not-self.”

Some Bhikkhus argue that “there is no self” was less of an ontological teaching, but instead more of a perception that one develops (in or out of meditation) to perform the duties of the four noble truths. (Look up Thanissaro’s Selves and Not Self).

Yeah, the way I see it, Ven. Thanissaro, being a proponent of nibbana as extra-khandic consciousness, has to solve the problem of why this type of consciousness can’t be called a self (since it would be eternal and blissful). That’s how I understand Selves and Not self.

But I feel like I’ve “heard it all” re. this debate, so I’m more trying to learn whether any new, interesting arguments were made that I missed in this thread :slight_smile:

In that case, maybe you can learn something new by having me play devil’s advocate. :slightly_smiling_face:

When you claim that there is a problem to be solved about whether or not that type of consciousness can be called a self, you are assuming a certain definition of self. One of Thanissaro’s points is that any definition of self when clung to will contain stress, any notion of being a being will contain stress, and he also doesn’t agree that “self = permanent, blissful.” (Furthermore, he doesn’t describe this consciousness as eternal).

Right, and this does a good job of “dissolving” the problem of whether nibbanic consciousness could rightly be called a self or not. Don’t even try to take a position on it! That will just lead to suffering.

But that’s not convincing to me. Chuck it up to different priors, I dunno :woman_shrugging:

If it’s not eternal, then it’s suffering, and it can’t be nibbana.

But that’s using words and concepts to describe the indescribable! This is ineffable stuff!

To me this is the equivalent of saying “just believe me”. Fair enough, but it’s not a style of argument that I like :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not eternal, but because it lies outside time altogether, it is not anicca either. Anyway, this will be my last post about the topic. Feel free to have the last word if you wish.

It’s not really clear to me what it means for anything to be outside time (or space, which IIRC is also part of Ven. T’s description). What notion of time and space is being appealed to here?

It’s unclear what it means within the thought world of the EBTs, but also today, say within contemporary physics.

I don’t understand why someone would read that and think “outside of space and time, yeah that makes sense”.

Thank you for giving me the last word :slight_smile:

Edit: Like, I don’t understand the background information and assumptions against which that statement makes sense.

Is Ven. T’s nibbanic consciousness impermanent or permanent? Neither, because it’s outside time and space.

I don’t have the priors to make sense of that answer.

No.

Yes.
“No self” is the denial of one’s own existence, which is an oxymoron and a self-delusion.
"Not-self is a denial of mastery and control over that which is already taken as mine and for me.

The problem is not a self, the problem is taking out of ignorance as mine and for me that which cannot be mine and for me. Any view of the self is just one of the results of such an appropriation that is already happening. And the fact of the presence of the appropriation is not a matter of personal choice and preference, but only of the presence of ignorance. If there is ignorance, there is yours and for you, whether you want it or not and whatever views you hold.

There is you because there is yours and for you, not the other way round. There are views of the self because there is appropriation and the capacity to form such views, not the other way round.

At the level of sotopanna, the views about the self are already eliminated, but the appropriation is still there until the very end of ignorance - arahatship. Animals and babies are not even capable of forming views about self, but the appropriation is already there and they are in the state of maximum ignorance.

The elimination of any and all views about the self does not eliminate the appropriation of the aggregates, does not eliminate ignorance, does not eliminate craving, does not eliminate dukkha. The presence of views about the self is merely a symptom of the illness and not the illness itself.

3 Likes

According to the Cambridge dictionaryNo and not are the two most common words we use to indicate negation.”

So this difference in meaning doesn’t seem to come from English and different uses of ‘no’ and ‘not’ – they basically both convey negation in English.

Within Buddhism, I have never seen anyone argue that anatta should be understood as an oxymoronic, self-deluded denial of one’s own existence.

Like, it’s not a real position that anyone takes or argues for.

What gives?

I will try to give you a summary.

Check this first:

So based on this following conclusion/argument results…

1) If person X is convinced that, ‘I have no self’ and he rejects eternalism, he comes in the category of those who hold such a views which leads one to “getting repulsed by continued existence and not repulsed by cessation of continued existence”(this view buddha asks to let go of), such person X will most likely miss nibbana and after break up of body, enter and remain in formless realm of dimension of nothingness because in the dimension of nothingness, because of(mistakenly) believing that there is nothing & everything is annihilated at death, continued existence is actually ceased but in reality even that is not permanent because if that were permanent(as those born in realm of nothingness view), then those who have reached dimension of nothingness would never perish and again become something (get borned)!

Another conclusion/argument is as given by @Sasha_A, for that check this…

Based on this 2nd argument/conclusion is…

2) When we apply Paticcha Samuppada to chariot and panchaskandhas…only reason being, chariot’s functional arrangement can be changed into heap of parts but it’s not the case with panchaskandhas! Their functional arrangement cannot be changed! This kind of asserts possibility that existing individual literally cannot be destroyed!

@Erika_ODonnell sir, I pointed out only 2 arguments because, I felt these are new arguments(sry if I’m missing any other argument, I hope somebody can kindly add them), which you might have missed in this thread because of too many messages and also they are very interesting, I am not completely confident about them(although I am actually confident about and agree with 1st one) but I honestly couldn’t counter them(I don’t think that’s necessary though).
There are many other arguments against above arguments, there are also neutral arguments against them(if you know what I mean)…but them you can directly locate I guess.

Sry for bad English.

2 Likes

No self = there is no self.
Not-self = this is not self.

You are using a straw man fallacy here: the original post does not mention anatta, only ‘no self’. No self and not-self are different ways of interpreting the term anatta.

3 Likes

There’s no apples, there’s not any apples. What’s the difference? Seems to mean the same in English?

You are using the straw man, you’re presenting a “no self” a view which is obviously bad. I’m pointing it out that you’re doing that.

Who interprets anatta the way you describe as the no self view?

Make what you will out of the following regarding the no self view:

I think you ought to make your point/argument explicit if you want to engage in productive discussion :slight_smile:

All the sayings in bold letters! :wink:

I challenge you to be explicit and prove you’re not being intentionally vague to hide the fact that you don’t have a good argument :cowboy_hat_face: