A Treasury of the Buddha's Words, Sutta Translation Anthology

I found this at my city’s temple and recognized it as a translation which I wasn’t able to find a copy of online, so I decided to scan and upload it!

This is a rare anthology of 90 suttas from the majjhimanikāya, by Ven. Nyanamoli Thera. His translations, while here edited by Phra Khantipalo, were later compiled fully (all 152), by Bhikkhu Bodhi in the more well known publication, ‘The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha’.

The date of publication is unknown, although the editor has dated his introduction 21st April, 1977. Oddly, the title on the front cover is ‘a Treasury of the Buddha’s Words’, while on the inside it is titled as ‘A Treasury of the Buddha’s Discourses from the Majjhima-nikaya (Middle Collection)’.

According to a review by Maurice Walshe, another translator of Buddhist scriptures, this anthology had only a limited distribution at Wat Buddha-Dhamma, Ten Mile Hollow, Wisemans Ferry, NSW 2255, Australia. The review is included in a separate PDF.

I uploaded them here since they exceed the file upload size limit;

8 Likes

Wonderful! Sādhu

Sorry to be picky, but would it be possible to re-upload in a higher resolution? The text is quite blotchy and hard to read for me…

1 Like

Thanks for that! Another useful resource is the Venerable’s hand-written notes:

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a scanner myself, so I had to make a few trips to the library to do the scanning work, and this was the quality it produced. :frowning:

If it helps, perhaps try to download the PDF’s and enlarging the documents.

1 Like

That’s amazing that the original notes were uploaded, it’s a shame I can’t read cursive, it may as well be written in another language. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve reuploaded them in high quality, turns out the library scanner had an option for higher resolution which was hidden in the options. :sweat_smile:

A Treasury Of The Buddha’s Words : Nyānamoli, Khantipālo, : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This is quite readable now, anumodana!

The Table of Contents mentions a fourth volume. Was it never printed, or just not at your temple’s library I wonder :thinking:

Bhante @sujato: I wonder if you would be amenable to us adding some of these translations to SuttaCentral? :pray: For example, his translation of MN 18 (in vol 3) is quite nice and Bhikkhu Bodhi’s edit was never released.

2 Likes

I was also confused about that at first, but it’s not referring to four seperate volumes but rather the four subsections within the three volumes! Volume III has Part III and IV included.

2 Likes

Oh! I see! The volume is the Arabic numeral between the section and the page numbers in the TOC. :man_facepalming: Got it, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, if someone wants to prepare them as legacy HTML.

2 Likes

I’d be willing to do it for MN 18 at least! And maybe others are willing to volunteer for other suttas*

So, I should just open a Pull Request for adding a file in this format to this folder?

Do I need to create any other files (or a subfolder?) for Ven. Nyanamoli?

* the other suttas

The suttas that were published in this collection but were not subsequently edited and released by Bhikkhu Bodhi / Wisdom (or translated by Bhante Suddhaso) are:

• MN 3 :white_check_mark: PR landed!
  • MN 10 :white_check_mark: PR landed
  • MN 14 :white_check_mark: PR
  • MN 18 :white_check_mark: PR landed!
  • MN 21 :white_check_mark: PR landed
  • MN 24 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 30 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 33 :white_check_mark: PR
  • MN 34 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 43 :white_check_mark: PR
  • MN 45 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 51 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 55 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 58 :white_check_mark: pr
  • MN 59 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 61 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 66 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 71 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 73 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 74 :white_check_mark: pr
  • MN 76 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 79 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 85 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 86 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 89 :heavy_check_mark:
  • MN 94 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 96 :white_check_mark: pr
  • MN 97 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 98 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 99 :white_check_mark: PR
  • MN 100 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 102 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 105 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 106 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 107 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 109 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 115 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 119 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 121 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 122 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 125 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 127 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 128 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 145 :white_check_mark:
  • MN 150 :white_check_mark:

:heavy_check_mark: = awaiting review
:white_check_mark: = merged already and will appear on the site soon

2 Likes

That’s pretty much it. We should probably add /nynamoli folder if one doesn’t exist already. But when you’re done, just contact me and we’ll see it through.

2 Likes

Thank you for making it available to everyone.

1 Like