SuttaCentral

About the Translations category

Translations of the Suttas, especially for alternative versions, or study projects.

Feel free to add your own translation of any others that you have the rights to. If you’re using someone else’s translation, make sure to include the relevant copyright information.

From time to time, we may take translations that have been added here and include them in our main site. We’ll assess:

• Do we have a translation of this sutta already?
  • Is the translation of good quality?
  • Is the proofing, spelling, and so on, well done?

So the better you make your uploads, the more chance you have of contributing to the long term creation of a universal translation of the Early Buddhist Texts. By adding texts here, you can make a start, and also get feedback to help improve.

Soon after I had become a saama.nerii, I made a new translation of the DASA DHAMMASUTTA into German and English, comparing it with Ven. Nyanatiloka’ s earlier translation into German made some time between 1910 and 1920. I carried the Pali text in in my purse for a long time, trying to memorize it. The text translated by Ven. Nyanatiloka shows the reference AN X, 48. But I could not find it in the PTS edition (Ee). The Sutta is not listed in PPD, and not in TPMD (? Pali - Burmese dicionary in about 24 volumes). Does the Sutta have an alternative title used only in Burma? I am sure it can be found in AN X, if X stands for Dasaka Nipaata. So where is it ? I have only found it in the Pirit po.tha as item no .6. But this a post -canonical collection containing mostly texts from the Tipi.taka.

Hello,
Is this be the sutta you are looking for: AN10.48 [PTS A. v. 87] Dasadhamma [Pabbajita­abhiṇha]?
I can’t find Ven. Nyanatiloka’s translation on the internet, so I can’t cross check it. Suttacentral offers Ven. Thanissaro’s translation.
Alex Genaud’s site (http://obo.genaud.net/) offers translations by Piyadassi Thera and also F. L. Woodward of PTS.
I will email you Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation (Wisdom Publication) - since it is copyrighted - for your perusal.

Sorry, no idea what the acronyms mean, other than PTS.
Hope that this is of use to you. WY