Anyone know about these pictures?

What a nice place to call home! Good on you, dear and venerable friend! :slightly_smiling_face: :pray:

2 Likes

Indeed! So much great art. The whole first floor is filled with rare Chinese statues and the stonework in the building itself is simply incredible:

5 Likes

Thank you Viveka, I will then start that thread soon.
:slightly_smiling_face::pray:

That’s really nice. :slightly_smiling_face: I will make and effort to come to visit and pay respect to you next time I come to Thailand! :pray:

4 Likes

Ye, good point, I wonder what the ancient architecture in the Buddha’s days was really like. Some palaces might have been made of stone, and monasteries constructed of stone too? Wikipedia gives some info:
Ancient Indian architecture - Wikipedia

Ye, that is funny :grinning: If you saw the thread earlier you would have solved the mystery quickly and deprived us of wholesome cooperative detective work? :slightly_smiling_face:

To complete the ‘Picture’, could you please find out and share with us here, how many of those pictures are in your temple museum and how long it took the artist to make them, over what years period. Also I would like to know how they got to be at that temple museum and why. Finally, are the paintings on display the originals or copies? Thanks.
:pray:

1 Like

Awesome! It’ll be great to meet you IRL. Just send me a PM a couple days in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely not, I’m afraid. I know basically nothing about the artwork at Viharn Sien, and I don’t think anyone around here does either!

The museum was built by a wealthy Chinese-Thai businessman for the former King, who together with the Chinese government (!) donated the works and sponsored the construction. But, as is sadly typical for Thailand, once the project was completed, the experts left and only a crew of janitors and ticket collectors, etc were left behind to take care of the place. And that was decades ago. There’s barely even any information placards left these days let alone a professional curatorial staff. :pensive:

4 Likes

I haven’t seen them before but agree a source would be excellent.

1 Like

A slide presentation with more than 140 painting also by Ajarn Kamnuan Chananto, and with captions by Sompong Yusoontorn.
Discovered today at SlideShare:

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like