SuttaCentral

Are Men allowed to visit Bikkhuni monasteries to learn Dhamma

Are both Bhikkhus anad Bhikkhunis allowed to stay in the same Monasteries? Are men allowed to visit Bhikkhuni monasteries to learn Dhamma?

Bhikkhunis can reordain

Warm greetings Luis,

Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis, and other males and female and, by extension, other genders, may stay in the same monastery given the right housing is available. Generally this is considered to be “under a different roof,” which might be construed as a different wing of the same building or might be a separate building. Other interpretations are also possible and may vary from monastery to monastery. It may be that some monasteries may even consider the ceiling of different rooms sufficient. How the rules are held is determined by each monastery, so it is good to ask about their policies and practices.

I am still studying this rule so can’t give details on the Pali and commentaries yet, only the current ways of holding it.

I don’t know of any Bhikkhuni monasteries where this is not allowed, at least as a day visit or to attend particular teaching events. Many bhikkhuni monasteries don’t have overnight accommodations for men due to limited resources or space; although some, just as the bhikkhu monasteries might do, may not wish to take on navigating the full set of Vinaya regulations that come with providing sleeping accommodations for what is perceived as the ‘opposite gender’, i.e. males in a bhikkhuni monastery and females in a bhikkhu monastery.

With kind care,
Venerable Niyyanika

Practices would vary according to country, lineage and leader’s discretion. Among those open to the idea, practical concerns make it unlikely.

Keep in mind the relative poverty of female monastics, at least in Theravada Buddhism. We still have precious few group residences, which never seem to offer enough rooms to meet the housing needs of female monastics and trainees. (I’ve seen women living on the land in tents hoping for construction of more tiny cottages.) Separate housing for male visitors should be considered only after urgent needs are met to allow women a foothold in the holy life.

An extremely important point! At the same time it might be good for the OP to clarify if they meant an overnight visit or a day visit; just as Ven. Niyyanika points towards, men would almost certainly be very welcome to visit most Bhikkhuni monasteries to learn Dhamma in at least the latter case.

I meant for a day visit. I was curious because I found a website for a Bhikkhuni Monastery. I would like to stop by and pay a visit. Sad to hear about the situation of some Bhikkhunis in Thailand. If I was better off financially I would be more then happy to donate even for a small kuti. Maybe that’s something I can work on.

Thanks for the replies.

How much would it cost to build a tiny cottage in Thailand?