Audtip.org KN Snp: English, V.Than., PL Passed :)

One last thing for someone to double check, and we are done.

I made pali+english side by side version of Ven. Than’s sutta translation.
The .htmlz is the ideal version for laptops and larger screens, works on android tablets and android smartphones, probably iphones as well since it’s just the simplest html code imaginable. You just need to extract the index.html and style.css from the htmlz archive with a zip program like 7zip, and then view the index.html on your device with browers. Older android smartphones may have some problems with it, but newer android it should work just as well as on a desktop. The htmlz is the ideal version because you can scroll around, enlarge, use the hyperlink navigation, etc.

The epub and azw are ideal for e-ink devices like kindle paperwhite. Hyperlink navigation works on kindle, should work on epubs on other eink readers depending on how robust their software is.

PDF is not recommended, I only included it because some people don’t know how to handle the other file formats. Please don’t cut trees down to print on paper unless you know it’s going to get some really good use out of it, preferably from multiple people.

you can get to the download page from audtip.org → KN → snp

kn-snp-eng-than-VLC-playlists.zip
sutta-text.zip
:diamonds: sutta nipāta pāḷi niṭṭhitā. (finished)
:slight_smile:

Great news: Bhante Jiv. (Sri Lankan Bhikkhu with excellent Pali pronunciation) has agreed to record the complete set for KN Snp, the Sutta Nipāta, in Pali chanting as he’s done for much of the sutta collection at audtip.org.

I’m currently recording the English audio, reading from Ven. Thanissaro’s 2015 KN Snp translation, located here:

If anyone would like to help with the proof listening for the english, please respond to this thread, claim a sutta, and then when you’re done post the results of it.

The audio is here:

http://audtip.dx.am/tipitaka/kn/kn.html

Proof listening instructions here:
https://sites.google.com/a/audtip.org/wiki/wiki/proof-listening-pl/guide-for-proof-listeners

But no need to go to the audtip discussion groups, post to this thread instead.

In short, we’re looking for word perfect match between written and spoken word (with the exception of small articles that don’t change the meaning of the text, for example I say “a” instead of “the”, or add a “the” where it wasn’t in the text). When in doubt, just note it and I’ll listen to the audio and check.

Don’t worry about audio filename and metadata I’ll take care of that.

KN Snp, PL (proof listening) progress

(this first post is a wiki that anyone can edit this post [click the pencil icon] and update info below). For a completed PL, add an emoji “:grin:” for PASS, or “:rage:” for FAIL. I picked the emoji for the red color to stand out, not that Buddhists would actually express “rage” emoji.
:green_apple: (picked for green color) means the sutta has been re-recorded and needs to be PL’d again for more than just the original mistake, perhaps the entire sutta.

(Vagga/chapter 1, Snake chapter, 12 suttas)

:grinning: 1.1 PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 9 and 19
:grinning: 1.2 PL by (tara), pass, details in msg (number)
:grinning: 1.3 PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 23
:grinning:1.4 PL by (tara), pass, details in msg (number)
:grinning:1.5 PL by (tara), cunda sutta passed, details in msg (8)
:grinning:1.6 PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 19
:grinning: KN Snp 1.7 vasala (the outcast): : PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 22
:grinning: KN Snp 1.8 metta (good-will): : PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 22
:grinning: KN Snp 1.9 hemavata (name of a yakkha): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 21
:grinning: KN Snp 1.10. āḷavaka (name of a yakkha): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 24
:grinning: KN Snp 1.11 vijaya (victory): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 24
:grinning: KN Snp 1.12 muni (sage): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 27

chapter 2, 14 suttas: cūḷa-vaggo (lesser-chapter)

:grinning: KN Snp 2.1 ratana (treasures) PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 25

:grinning: KN Snp 2.2 āmagandha (raw stench) PASSED, fixed by frankk msg 27. PL by Yasoj, fail, details in msg 25,
:grinning: KN Snp 2.3 hiri (shame) PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 25
:grinning: KN Snp 2.4 maṅgala (protection) PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 25
:grinning: KN Snp 2.5 sūciloma (name of a yakkha) PL by Yasoj, pass? details in msg 32
:grinning: KN Snp 2.6 dhamma-cariya (the Dhamma-life) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 32
:grinning: KN Snp 2.7 brāhmaṇa-dhammika (brahmin-principles) PL by Yasoj, pass? details in msg 32
:grinning: msg 46, KN Snp 2.8 nāvā (boat) PL by Yasoj, fail details in msg 32. Updated version PLed by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 48

:grinning: KN Snp 2.9 kiṃ-sīla (with What-Virtue?) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 32
    :grinning: KN Snp 2.10 uṭṭhāna (Initiative) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 32

:grinning: msg 46, KN Snp 2.11 rāhula PL by Yasoj, fail details in msg 32. Updated version PLed by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 48
:grinning: KN Snp 2.12 nigrodhakappa (Vangisa’s preceptor) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 32
:grinning: KN Snp 2.13 sammā-paribbājanīya (right-wandering) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 32
:grinning: KN Snp 2.14 dhammika (name of lay follower): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 27

Vagga 3, 12 suttas

:grin: KN Snp 3.1 pabbajjā (going-forth), fixed 7/18, PL by Yasoj, fail? details in msg 77
:grin: KN Snp 3.2 padhāna (exertion), fixed 7/18, PL by Yasoj, fail? details in msg 77
:grin: KN Snp 3.3 su-bhāsita (Well-spoken) PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 77
:grin: KN Snp 3.4 sundarika-bhāradvāja (name of a brahman) PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 77
:grin: KN Snp 3.5 PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 77

:grin: snp3.6 PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 83
:grin: Snp 3.7 Sela PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 83
:grin: Snp 3.8 Salla ready for PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 91
:grin: Snp 3.9 Vāseṭṭha ready for PL: PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 85
:grin: Snp 3.10 Kokālika ready for PL: PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 86
:rage:Snp 3.11 Nālaka PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 87
:rage::thinking:Snp 3.12 Dvayatānupassanā PL by Yasoj, pass, details in msg 87

1. aṭṭhaka-vaggo (The Octet Chapter ), 16 suttas

:grin: KN Snp 4.1 kāma (sensual pleasure): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 50
:grin: KN Snp 4.2 guhaṭṭhaka (the cave): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 50
:smile: KN Snp 4.3 duṭṭh-aṭṭhaka (The Corrupted Octet): PL by suaimhneas, pass?, details in msg 50
:grin: KN Snp 4.4 suddh-aṭṭhaka (The Pure Octet): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 56
:grin: KN Snp 4.5 param-aṭṭhaka (The Supreme Octet): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 56
:grin: KN Snp 4.6. jarā (old-age): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 56
:grin: KN Snp 4.7 tissa-metteyya (To Tissa-metteyya): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 67
:grin: KN Snp 4.8 pasūra (To Pasūra): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 67
:grin: KN Snp 4.9 māgaṇḍiya (To māgaṇḍiya): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 67
:grin: KN Snp 4.10 purā-bheda (Before the breakup [of the body]) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 54
:grin: KN Snp 4.11 kalahavivāda (Quarrels & Disputes) PL by Yasoj, pass? details in msg 54
:grin: KN Snp 4.12 cūḷabyūha (The Lesser Array) PL by Yasoj, fail details in msg 54. fixed 2018/7/9, pass
:grin: KN Snp 4.13 mahābyūha (The Great Array) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 73
:grin: KN Snp 4.14 tuvaṭaka (Quickly) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 73
:grin: KN Snp 4.15 attadaṇḍa (The Rod Embraced) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 73
:grin: KN Snp 4.16 sāriputta(to sāriputta) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 73

1. pārāyana-vaggo (to-the-far-shore-chapter), 19 suttas
    (watch the sutta numbering carefully, I follow SC #'s which is shifted off by one to the ones Ven. T uses)
    :grin: KN Snp 5.1 vatthu-gāthā (prologue-verses): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 37
    :grin: KN Snp 5.2 ajitamāṇava-pucchā (Ajita’s Questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 37
    :grin: KN Snp 5.3 tissa-metteyyamāṇava-pucchā (Tissa-metteyya’s Questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 40
    :grin: KN Snp 5.4 puṇṇakamāṇava-pucchā (Puṇṇaka’s Questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 46
    :grin: KN Snp 5.5 mettagūmāṇava-pucchā (mettagū’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 40
    :grin: KN Snp 5.6 dhotakamāṇava-pucchā (d’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 40
    :grin: KN Snp 5.7 upasīvamāṇavapucchā (u’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 44
    :grin: KN Snp 5.8 nandamāṇava-pucchā (n’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 44
    :grin: KN Snp 5.9 hemakamāṇava-pucchā (h’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 44
    :grin: msg 43-44 KN Snp 5.10 todeyyamāṇava-pucchā (t’s-questions)
    :grin: msg 43-44 KN Snp 5.11 kappamāṇava-pucchā (k’s-questions)
    :grin: msg 43-44 KN Snp 5.12 jatukaṇṇimāṇava-pucchā (j’s questions)
    :grin: msg 43-44 KN Snp 5.13 bhadrāvudhamāṇava-pucchā (b’s-questions)
    :grin: msg 43-44 KN Snp 5.14 udayamāṇava-pucchā (u’s-questions)
    :grin: KN Snp 5.15 posālamāṇava-pucchā (p’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 46
    :grin: KN Snp 5.16 mogharājamāṇava-pucchā (m’s-questions): PL by suaimhneas, pass, details in msg 46
    :grin: KN Snp 5.17 piṅgiyamāṇava-pucchā (p’s-questions) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 45
    :grin: KN Snp 5.18 pārāyanatthuti-gāthā (epilogue-verses) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 45
    :grin: KN Snp 5.19 pārāyanānugīti-gāthā (-verses) PL by Yasoj, pass details in msg 45
8 Likes

Hi Frank. I can do some proof listening. Not having done something like this before, is there any particular kind of feedback that you want, or is it simply seeing if translation text and spoken words match? I won’t pick any sutta(s) just yet (in a @musiko thread I agreed several weeks back to annotate a set of dhamma talks from a retreat with SC sutta ids, which I will finish first, but I’m nearly there on that :slight_smile: ).

5 Likes

Hi Frank, thanks for sharing these news and for recording some new audios. I’ll proof-listen Sn 1.3 A Rhinoceros if you’re ok with that?

Same question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve edited the first post to include a link to Proof listening instructions, but in short yes, looking for word perfect match between written and spoken word (with the exception of small articles that don’t change the meaning of the text, for example I say “a” instead of “the”, or add a “the” where it wasn’t in the text). When in doubt, just note it and I’ll listen to the audio and check.

Thanks for helping out guys!

I recorded that sutta already in 2011
https://sites.google.com/a/audtip.org/audio-tipitaka/home/kn/kn-snp/kn-snp1-03

I’m not sure if Ven. T’s text changed since then, I’m undecided on whether to just re-record a version that matches the 2015 KN Snp book. I actually did re-record it a few days ago but there was too much external car and street noise that made it unusable.

I know, I listen that file regularly :slight_smile: I thought you made a new recording with the new translation. I don’t know as well if the text has changed…

Could you post a list of your new recordings?

It’s the same list as the audio files in the first post.

kn-snp-eng-than : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

So far the first 6 suttas. I’ll probably record about 15-30min a day, I expect it will take between 1 to 2 months to complete.
Let me see if I can change the first post to a wiki, so we can keep a chart on which suttas have been “claimed” for PL and people can edit that post to reflect progress on PL.

I proof-listend to 1.5 Cunda ( the first of two audios having that title appearing on the audtip website.) It was perfect.

1 Like

I’ve checked 1.1 The Snake. It’s word perfect.

I proof listened this with the online player because I’ve had difficulties with the downloaded audio files. When I downloaded them I could not play any of them (neither FLAC nor mp3). Even the VLC media player, which is normally very good even with obscure codecs, cannot play them (neither can Windows Media Player on Windows 10, Quicktime, Groove Music or iTunes). I haven’t had this issue with other files on audtip previously. Some gremlins with the file format I guess.

Thanks for the PL @suaimhneas ! I’ve updated msg. 1 with your PL results. I just downloaded a zip of the 5 mp3 files from KN Snp on archive.org,
played the mp3 out of the zip directory with VLC on a windows 10 laptop, no problems. So I think on the internetarchive.org end of things is ok.

1 Like

OK, I’ve figured out the issue! :slight_smile: I was simply going to the main list of audio files in the player on archive.org, right clicking and doing a “save link as”. That seemed to save FLAC and mp3 files alright but now I see they were all the same size (116kb). When I went instead to the download section on the bottom right of the page and went through that setup, then the downloaded files worked ok (and were different sizes as they should be)! :blush:

1 Like
  1. 2 Dhaniya the Cattleman passed
1 Like

1.4 PL by tara, pass, but at 6:58 - 7:01 there is a pause that could be edited out for a smoother result.

1 Like

Can you guys try to edit this part of the first post, which I made into a wiki?

(this first post is a wiki that anyone can edit and update info below)

1.1 PL by (your name), pass or fail, details in msg (number)
1.2 PL by (your name), pass or fail, details in msg (number)
1.3 PL by (your name), pass or fail, details in msg (number)
1.4 PL by (your name), pass or fail, details in msg (number)
1.5 PL by (tara), cunda sutta passed, details in msg (8)
1.6 PL by (your name), pass or fail, details in msg (number)

A lot more suttas are going to be added soon, I need your help to keep track of which ones are crossed off the list. Thanks!
The most important part is PASSED for FAILED, and then your name. the msg # may be a troublesome to figure out as this thread gets longer, so no problem if you leave that blank.

DONE! I was confused because I was expecting there to be some wiki page somewhere and I couldn’t find a link. Finally figured out that anybody can actually edit that first post directly. I didn’t know that was possible.

1 Like

@Yasoj, I recorded 1.3 again, so please give it a PL when you get a chance. thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s definitely something I forgot to edit. I have removed the lengthy pause in that file and reuploaded. In general I will edit out all lengthy pauses to be no more than 2 seconds, except for long suttas with chapter breaks or something major like that.

Ok great, I will do this in the next couple of days and will report on the Wiki.

1 Like

I’ve listened to 1:6. Only one minor divergence from the translator’s words: at 1:27 you have “he approves” rather than “he approves of” but since this doesn’t change the meaning is likely OK as is. The pause just before the deva speaks at 1:03-1:05 seems slightly long compared to elsewhere (but probably me just being overly pernicketty :slight_smile: ).

I also previously OK’ed 1:1. I think you said not to bother flagging minor variations in articles. FYI I did spot one instance in that at 0:39 where instead of “the monk” you had “a monk” but “a” is probably as good as “the” there.

Will edit the wikified OP later anyway.

1 Like

I listened to that part and the pause seems tolerable to me, but please everyone do feel free to offer opinions so I have feedback.

Pali verses for Snp are metered, and Thanissaro’s translation is free verse, so that’s another issue that’s totally subjective and everyone would probably read and pause differently.

I think it’s great for Proof listeners to get as detailed and nitpicky as they like in these reports, because that gives me feedback to work with, lets me know areas I can improve for future readings. It’s just that I probably won’t edit very minor mistakes that don’t affect meaning, just for cost/benefit of time&energy. I’m more concerned with producing an audio library of suttas so that they exist first and foremost, future generations can make better versions with better voice acting, etc.

2 Likes