"Avec les mots du Bouddha" de Bhikkhu Bodhi

Bonjour,

J’ai fais une traduction prélimaire des intructions du livre In The Buddha’s Words de Bhikkhu Bodhi. Celle-ci est en cours de révision et vous pouvez la consulter sur Avec les mots du Bouddha où vous pouvez également suggérer des corrections.

Avec Metta,
Noé

8 Likes

Merci pour l’excellent travail de soutien au Dhamma dans Français. Nous l’apprécions vraiment.

5 Likes

Merci de vos efforts. Avez-vous été en contact avec Ven. Bodhi et Wisdom Publications pour le projet?

2 Likes

Bonjour Stephen,

Avec plaisir. Compte tenu des droits avec lesquels les introductions en anglais ont été publiées ici et ailleurs, je n’ai pas pensé nécessaire de les contacter. Devrais-je? Je ne voudrais pas causer des problèmes.

In English:
Considering the rights under which these introductions were published here and elsewhere, I didn’t think necessary to contact them. Should I? I wouldn’t want to cause problems.

With Metta,
Noé

The intros were released with a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0) license. According to this information on the CC faq page:

When is my use considered an adaptation?

Whether a modification of licensed material is considered an adaptation for the purpose of CC licenses depends primarily on the applicable copyright law. Copyright law reserves to an original creator the right to create adaptations of the original work. CC licenses that allow for adaptations to be shared—all except BY-ND and BY-NC-ND—grant permission to others to create and redistribute adaptations when doing so would otherwise constitute a violation of applicable copyright law. Generally, a modification rises to the level of an adaptation under copyright law when the modified work is based on the prior work but manifests sufficient new creativity to be copyrightable, such as a translation of a novel from one language to another, or the creation of a screenplay based on a novel.

So, no? I guess?

Last time I checked Wisdom had pulled these intros from their site when the moved to the “books as a service” model. That doesn’t change the original license, though.

2 Likes

I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but it seems that if a translation is being prepared for an in print book by a living author, they would want to know about it.

I see your point. As far as I envisioned this, it isn’t for an in print book at all, more so as material sitting in my drive accessible for the community here to read.

If you want to make a translation, you do need to get permission from Wisdom. The good news is that in the past they have been quite favorable to doing this. So give it a go.

1 Like

Yes, based on the conversation this steered it is certainly a wise thing to do. I will do that. Thank you.
Update: request sent to Wisdom, while waiting I’ll disable the link, to be safe.

2 Likes

Encore une fois, Bravo pour vos efforts!

2 Likes

Bonjour à tous,

Hélas je ne suis toujours sans réponse de la part de Wisdom Publications malgré plusieurs tentatives.
Entre temps, j’ai découvert un ouvrage assez intéressant, aussi sous le forme d’une anthologie. Il s’agit d’En Suivant Bouddha d’André Bareau de l’éditeur Philppe Lebaud. Cet ouvrage date de 1985, mais je le trouve assez bien. Il a été republié en 2000 par la maison DU FELIN.

Vous pouvez trouver une présentation de ce livre sur le site de l’Institut d’Etudes Bouddhique.

:pray: Noé

4 Likes