BGL: A Buddhist G-Library

Dear friends in the Dhamma!

For the last year, as I’ve been studying Buddhism more thoroughly, I have been compiling all the publicly available resources (public domain and copyleft books, talks, courses, etc) I could find and organizing them into a gradual course of study for myself. This project will never be a complete education in Buddhism nor a catalogue. However, I feel that my carefully curated collection may be of some use for other students, as it has been for me.

Therefore, to celebrate my recent ordination I am pleased to open up my Google Drive library to you, the SuttaCentral community. Anyone may access (and share!) my library (in part or in whole) via this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RJi6bEXa25zizGdsm5evCycYuY6a2D8r

I hope you find it useful!

Of course any feedback is welcome, and you may expect it to update occasionally as I continue my studies.

Best wishes from Thailand,
@Khemarato.bhikkhu (formerly known as AlexM)

45 Likes

Congratulations, and many thanks for the sharing. :pray:

7 Likes

Excellent. Thank you

3 Likes

So! Since it’s been exactly one month since I posted this, I thought I would give y’all an update. In the last month, I have:

v1.1 Change Log

:smile_cat:

11 Likes

Many Congratulations!

Thankyou so much!
The recordings of the lectures are a rare treat :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Long-life, bhante.

If you want some more ‘eclectic’ things for your library, here are some fascinating study notes on Sarvāstivāda Abhidharma, if you find yourself so interested. The context of these notes are the fruits of a study project by someone who I only know of over the internet as a “Korin” screen name and who I don’t believe I’ve ever met. This study was undertaken by that individual in 2010-2012 it seems. There is Mahāyānika material also interspersed occasionally but I don’t think you’ll have any trouble recognizing the material when you come to it, it is generally comparative material (i.e. “In the Mahāyāna, […]”) so it tends to stand out. The sattvaloka chart is an example of this, where it refers the reader to the Buddhāvataṁsakasūtra for information concerning differences in cosmology at the level of the Pure Abodes.

Also, if you do not have access currently to the translation of de La Vallée-Poussin, Korin also compiled what seems to be a summation of Abhidharmakośakārikā & bhāṣya of Ven Vasubandhu with English substantially based on the Pruden translation which was supplied to Korin via Ven Huifeng. Lastly there are also supplementary materials.

6 Likes

Thanks for the materials, @Coemgenu. It may be a long time indeed before I get around to studying non-Theravada Abhidharma! But nice to know this exists! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

v1.2

Librarian’s Notes

Quite a lot of material has been added over the last few months, so I thought I’d share a list of what’s been added: I hope something helpful for you!

As ever, if there’s material you think is missing, or if you have any other feedback on how the library might be more useful to you, please drop me a line!

I have also added a short introduction to the library with a (partial) list of my sources, in case that’s of interest.

With that, here are this version’s new additions:

Folders

And, to the existing folders:

Individual Items

Academic Papers

On The Jatakas

Special Bonus

Dhamma Talks

Transcribed Talks

Recorded Talks

EBTs

Audio

And with that, I hope everyone had a wonderful Rains! :smile:

15 Likes

v1.3

Librarian’s Notes

It seems that the huge update last time overwhelmed people, so this month I am just highlighting the most exciting arrivals:

Academic Papers

EBTs

Dhamma Talks

Folders

9 Likes

I am grateful for this gift. :pray:

3 Likes

Just to update this thread with a link to the website version of the library:

Over the last few months I’ve been working on porting the library over to a GitHub webpage. While still not complete, it’s already got enough content to be somewhat interesting, so I thought I would share it here.

This website (compared to the Google Drive folder) will allow me to better document the items in the library, provide external links, and more creatively organize the content (not only by e.g. author but also into university-style online courses and perhaps in other ways I haven’t yet thought of).

It’s still a work in progress (especially the design) so feel free to let me know any feedback or ideas that you have. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

There some useful books here of a Thera.

http://www.nissarana.lk/audio-and-publications/publications-english/

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I wasn’t aware of this elder’s website. :slightly_smiling_face:

As a grumpy, independently minded, Theravada monk, I especially like “Mind Your Own Business! :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil::joy:

8 Likes

Yes, it’s actually really important monastery. I went visit. Nice place. Actually there some nice recordings of his dhamma talks. :pray:t4: I think there must be more books of him. Search in google. Because website don’t have a book that I downloaded before. They have reconstructed the website.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that. I think it’s a recent publish. :joy: The other I was telling is this

1 Like

Thank you for this website, Venerable! I wasn’t on Sutta Central D&D when you launched this project so I hadn’t realized this great resource was out there. Thank you! :pray: :heart:

5 Likes

The website now has a proper domain: www.buddhistuniversity.net!

I’ve also added a few features you might like: search, a random recommendations button and (below every item in the library) a similar content finder.

Hope you enjoy!

14 Likes

Hey venerable, great job with this!

FYI the word “rigorous” is misspelled on the front page

3 Likes

Awesome! I use it often! :+1::pray::+1::pray:

2 Likes

:grimacing: Thanks! Not so… erm… fastidious of me. Fix pushed and will be live in five minutes :grinning:

4 Likes