Congratulations to AlexM on his ordination

AlexM has been ordained as a Bhikkhu, in Thailand. As such, he has a new name on D&D

Ven Khemarato.bhikkhu

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

49 Likes

:pray: :pray: :pray:

7 Likes

:anjal::anjal::anjal:

7 Likes

Thank you @Viveka!

16 Likes

Sādhu, sādhu! May his monastic life be of much fruit.

11 Likes

How wonderful!
Much mettā to you, bhikkhu Khemarato :pray:

8 Likes

Sadhu Ven, may your spiritual journey be swift and joyous!

16 Likes

How wonderful, Venerable @Khemarato.bhikkhu! Wishing you maximum happiness.

10 Likes

Sadhu! Sadhu! :pray: :tulip:

8 Likes

Heartfelt congratulations, Venerable! :anjal:

7 Likes

This is great news. AlexM worked hard to become @Khemarato.bhikkhu.
What a delightful, peaceful name.

9 Likes

What is the English meaning of Khemarato?

3 Likes

“one who delights in safety” perhaps?

Would love to hear Bhante @sujato’s translation :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Dear @Khemarato.bhikkhu,

May I ask how the process of deciding upon a Dhamma/sangha name works in your lineage or tradition?

I think in some Burmese traditions, for instance, the first letter is decided on the basis of your birthdate.Is there a similar practice in Thailand?

5 Likes

Yeah! Similar process. I’m not sure of the details but since I was born on a Monday I knew it would start with a K or G, for example. I think they just have a list of positive qualities (wisdom, happiness, peace, etc) and adjectives (lover of, inspiring, overflowing, etc) and they just grab one of each somewhat arbitrarily based on your birthday, etc

In practice what I did was provide my horoscope details and some Thai astrologer did their thing and then wrote back with the name :joy:

17 Likes

Congratulations Alex Bhikkhu Khemarato! :grinning: :tada: :fireworks:

:sunny: May bright awareness be on your side :sunny:

8 Likes

Congratulations Venerable Khemarato!

May you in no long time enter & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, directly knowing & realizing it for yourself in the here & now.

And may sorrow fall away from you as water from a lotus.

:lotus:

13 Likes

So can we get some insight into the process of ordaining!

1 Like

Find a good teacher, tell them your intention, and do what they tell you to do :joy:

I see the irony of this wasn’t lost on @SarathW1 :joy: But actually I kind of like it this way: if I don’t like the name (which, for the record, I do) I can’t blame my preceptor or myself… I can’t regret a name I didn’t pick.

10 Likes

Ha! Ha! Keep up the lightness, Bhante! It appears to me that a monastic has to have a good sense of humour to navigate the various expectations that are placed on them…

And congratulations!

:heart:

7 Likes