Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 11

You’re right, thanks for reminder, dear Gillian.

1 Like

I agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Stephen. So glad u r hanging around. :smiley:

1 Like

Questions Part 1 :pray:

pāmujjaṃ bhavissati, sukho ca vih ā ro

Aj Brahmali = There will be joy and a happy way of life.

Question: I wonder whether my rendering: ‘There will be a joyous and happy way of life’ is acceptable as it would be something I would say?

If I wanted to mean what Ajahn Brahmali says, I’d say: There is a happy way of life and that will be a great joy. Is this what the sentence mean?

sassato loko

Aj Brahmali = The world is eternal.

Another ‘equational sentence’, i.e. one thing ‘is’ something else. Note that the words ‘equated’ are in the nominative case.

Me = Eternal world

Question: Can this sentence be just a noun phrase ‘eternal world’, not a sentence?

kusalan ti pi na bhavissati, kuto pana kusalassa kārako

Aj Brahmali = There will not even be the concept ‘good’, let alone a doer of good.

Question: I got it the other way round… My interpretation: There will not only be the wholesome, but also the wholesome doer.

Please enlighten me if I want to say what I said, what would the Pali be?

ahaṃ kho maggaṃ agamāsiṃ

Ajahn Brahmali = I travelled the road.

Question: Is this ok? ‘I went on that path.’

kaly* ā na vuccati br ā hma *a

Ajahn Brahmali = It is beautifully said, brahmin.

Question: Another total failure. My version: The good (people) is/are called (a) saint(s)/paragon(s).

Is there a remote possibility that my rendering could, in a parallel universe, be right?

I think so. But for these exercises we should treat each as a complete sentence (as possible).

the grammar for this was introduced in the lesson

brāhmaṇa can only be vocative. For this construction, the nominative (or accusative?) would be used. So: in a parallel universe where “brāhmaṇa” is a nominative meaning “a paragon”, then sure! :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you. My mistakes are so very obvious!

Embarrassing brain, indeed!

2 Likes

Thanks, @bethl, that is correct. Good catch by you of a typo in my answer key - and I’m sure it’s not the only one.

Bhante, I’m afraid I won’t be able to join the class this evening (10 Oct). My apologies.
See you all next week.

3 Likes

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

so idha tato cuto idhūpapanno

If so, what would be the translation?

That’s fine, although in such contexts vihāra often means “meditation” rather than “way of life”. But that’s contextual.

It could be, yes.

Take out the na?

kusalan ti pi bhavissati, kuto pana kusalassa kārako

sure.

spelling!

brāhmaṇa is vocative, so no.

vuccati is passive, so it takes the nominative, and when defining a term, the defined term is quoted with -ti.

kalyāṇo brāhmaṇo’ti vuccati
a good person is called “brahmin”

No worries, see you next week.

It is, but it probably wouldn’t occur, I’m not sure what the repeated idha is trying to do. But idha often functions simply to contextualize the sentence so maybe:

In this case, passing away from there, he arose here.

mā h’evaṁ bhoti dhīrayūpe avaca! Nanu bhoti amhākaṁ bhagavatā anekapariyāyena dhammo pakāsito: paññā sutavinicchinī

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: lesson 12

Who made the recording of Lesson 11 please?

Is the time for next week the same?

Thanks.

It’s only this week that I’ve needed to re-watch the recording, so I’m out of the loop on how folks have been downloading them. Could I ask your help to figure out how? Our last class is the only one I’m in dire need of…but I’d love the others, if someone’s been keeping them somewhere?

1 Like

Dear fellow classmates,

Could we share the list of the video recordings of the lessons that we have?

I do have the one on 27 Sep 2023 (Lesson 9), anyone who wants it please message me and I’d share with you the link.

I don’t think we should share the link(s) here as Bhante would like to keep the recordings private among the classmates. :smiley:

2 Likes

In one of the exercises:

See! Ananda – They are past, ended, changed
pass’ Ānanda te atītā niruddhā vipariṇatā

Please, what is the root verb for atītā + a third person sing. conjugation?
DPD says it is √i・1 a (come, go) + accayati.
In this case, I don’t recall we’ve seen this verb yet (at least, not through Lesson 17), except in the pp form it takes in the above exercise.

(It doesn’t show up in PTSD when I entered the search term.)

Thank you.

Thank you

For “atītā”: in Warder, lesson 11, the section of “adjective in a”, he introduced this adjective atīta among a list of adjectives. So, it seems to me in this exercise, it was not meant to interpret as coming from a verb (I have no idea whether the usage of a verb as in DPD can also work or not).

For “vipariṇatā”: in Warder, lesson 11, it’s a past participle, he introduced in the vocabulary section as vipariṇata

For “niruddhā”: in Warder, lesson 7, it’s a past participle, he introduced this past participle niruddha among a list of past participles

2 Likes

Ah, thank you, Clarity, for finding its identification in Lesson 11 as an adjective.

And, as it turns out, PTSD does list the adjective form atīta. Then PTSD states:
(cp. accaya 1)

So, not certain what the acronym cp means in the PTSD; @stephen ?
Still learning how to glean the nuggets from PTSD :grin:

Part of my rationale for this particular rabbit hole is learning to distinguish participles from adjectives. @johnk shared Andrew Olendzki’s translation strategy document the other day and I noted that recognizing adjectives came just about last, whereas recognizing participles came sooner.

Hi,

I think you are referring to the PTS’s PED, not a syndrome?

If you go to the U Chicago’s tab “Front Matter” then “List of Abbreviations” you will find all explained there.

the answer to your question is “compare”.

In Pali, participles function as adjectives very often.

4 Likes

Exactly, Stephen. It’s extremely common that past participles are also used as adjectives, both in Pāli and in English.

4 Likes