Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 10

Thread for discussing chapter 10 of Warder for the class on October 3rd.

Meeting ID: 869 8997 6290
Passcode: 2023

5 Likes

Thanks for putting this up!

Following the last class, as an extra bit of fun, try translating the exercises into another language as well as English.

4 Likes

It was fun indeed though we got caught off guard. :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Hi everyone, especially @Hasantha :slight_smile:

Here is my pre-class notes on Lesson 10. Hope I didnā€™t make any mistake. The hay fever further slows down my brain cellsā€¦

Lesson 10 - Notes.pdf (708.4 KB)

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try and attend, but it is well past my bedtime, so I may be quite groggy and unfocused. Yes, I know itā€™s literally the same time as prior to the daylight savings change, but my body doesnā€™t think that way (plus it will have woken up an hour earlier). As it is, I have been incredibly sleepy in the previous lessons.

2 Likes

Question 1.
Na ciraį¹ tathāgatassa parinibbānaį¹ bhavissati.
My answer: The Thus-gone oneā€™s final extinguishment will not be for a long time.
Answer: The final extinguishment of the Tathagata will not be long.

Is this because ciraį¹ is actually the adjective cira agreeing with parinibbānaį¹ (nt. sg. acc)?
I thought ciraį¹ was the indecinable adverb meaning ā€œfor a long time, after a long timeā€ (according to DPD), which is how I got my answer.

Question 2.
na kho pana samayena Ānando bhagavato piį¹­į¹­hito į¹­hito hoti bhagavantaį¹ vÄ«jamāno

I had a couldnā€™t find the word vÄ«jamāno in DPD, I could only find the spelling vÄ«jiyamāno
Is this a mistake in DPD or Warder?

Question 3.
These people will have sons. = Imesaį¹ manussānaį¹ puttā bhavissanti.
I got the answer correct but I wasnā€™t sure if manussānaį¹ was in the genitive or dative?

Thank you :pray:t6:

Iā€™m just going to stick to translating into English for the moment as it would be far too entertaining (for people who actually speak Sinhala well) if I were to translate into Sinhala. :laughing:

3 Likes

This answer given appears ambiguous in English: ie The final extinguishment will be fast (whenever it occurs) vs The final extinguishment will start soon (and we donā€™t know how long it will take).

Maybe Ayyaā€™s comments on ciraį¹ƒ have a bearing here.

Screenshot from 2023-09-30 10-55-49

3 Likes

Finallyā€¦

Question 1: na ciraį¹ƒ tathāgatassa parinibbānaį¹ƒ bhavissati

= The extinction of the Tathāgata / The Tathāgataā€™s extinction will be soon.

I was trying to make sense of the modifier ā€˜naā€™ here and misinterpreted the sentence.

However, if I want to say ā€œThatāgataā€™s parinibbāna will not be for a long time yetā€, where would the modifier ā€˜naā€™ should be?

Question 2: imassa jayo bhavissati

= Victory will be his.

If there was no context, would this translation be ok? ā€œThis will be a victory.ā€

Question 3: āropito te vādo

= Your argument has been disproved.

Could the word vāda here be translated as a statement or assertation?

Question 4: mā me purato aį¹­į¹­hāsi

= Do not stand in front of me.

This sentence reminds me of a saying by Albert Camus. Does the following sentence make sense?

mā me purato gacchi. na anubandhissāmi.

me upagacchasi, atho me mittaį¹ƒ hosi.

Question 5: so maį¹ƒ paƱhena, ahaį¹ƒ veyyākaraį¹‡ena sobhissāmi

= He, through a question to me, I will make clear with an explanation.

After struggling with it for a long while, I felt better to read Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s comment that it is difficult to make good grammatical sense of this sentence!

Is my guess and thus rendering passable? ā€œTo the question that he asked me, I will make it clear with detailed exposition.ā€

Question 6: tena kho pana samayena Ānando bhagavato piį¹­į¹­hito į¹­hito hoti bhagavantaį¹ƒ vÄ«jamāno

= Now, at that time, Ānanda was standing behind the Blessed One, fanning the Blessed One.

My attempt: There at the assembly, Venerable Ānando standing behind the Buddha is fanning the Buddha.

6.1 Why is tena translated as ā€˜nowā€™, not there? Is it because of the interpretation of the word samayena?

6.2 How can we know that samayena here means at that time or on that occasion, not at the assembly when samayena is the instrumental case for both definitions?

6.3 How can we tell which is the main verb, and which is the participial verb phrase modifying Venerable Ānanda?

Question 7: kammaį¹ƒ kho pana me karontassa kāyo kilamissati

= However, while I am doing the work, (my) body will become tired.

My translation is different from Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s above. Is it acceptable? ā€œThe work will be done by me, but the body will be tired.ā€ or ā€œI will do the work, but my body will be tired.ā€ If not, what particular point is wrong?

1 Like

Hi,
I understand the sense here to be not long [from now], or soon.

From PED:
VÄ«jati VÄ«jati [vÄ«j] to fan ā€¦. - Caus. vÄ«jeti DhA iv.213; Mhvs 5, 161. ā€” Pass. vÄ«jiyati : ppr. vÄ«jiyamāna getting fanned

(So itā€™s the passive present participle with the -ya infix. The active pres part would be ā€˜he, fanningā€™.

Dative and genitive often overlap. Literally this could be translated, ā€œthere will be sons for these people ā€œ
Probably genitive plural? Or perhaps ā€˜dative of possession ā€™.

1 Like

Certainly my answer (done 18 years ago) is ambiguous, and I would phrase it differently now. And even English syntax here can be confusing. Ciraį¹ƒ is an adverb in this sentence, not an adjective. Without the na the sentence would read ciraį¹ tathāgatassa parinibbānaį¹ bhavissati and would mean ā€˜The final extinguishment of the Tathāgata will be in a long timeā€™, that is, it wonā€™t be soon, itā€™s a long time ahead. But the na ciraį¹ƒ makes the meaning ā€˜not in a long timeā€™, but soon.
Looks as if your following two questions have been well answered.

2 Likes

Thank you @sabbamitta - I must go check DPD again!

I think I had the na negating the bhavissati not the ciraį¹ƒ.

One more question:
āropito te vādo
Could this be ā€œThe statement has been disproved by you,ā€ since te can also be the 2nd p. sing. instrumental?

1 Like

@Dheerayupa, responses to your questions.

Q1. Your answer to exercise sentence here is exactly correct, and using the word ā€˜soonā€™ makes the meaning clearer.
In answer to the 2nd part of your question, there would be no na in the sentence at all.

Q2. Your alternative doesnā€™t work - imassa is genitive here.

Q3. Yes

Q4. Seems to. What is the Camus quote in French or English, please?

Q5. It is a weird sentence, especially out of full context! I like your rendering.

Q6. Thereā€™s no ā€˜assemblyā€™ here! Tena samayena is a common expression that means ā€˜at that timeā€™.
It is the word pana that has been translated as ā€˜nowā€™.
Hoti is the main verb.

Q7. Me karontassa is an example of the genitive absolute construction.
And kilamissati is the only verb in future tense here, which is not what your solutions imply.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the first translation after the Pali belongs to Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s, not mine. Iā€™ve been using this format so that the question will be self-sufficient and readers donā€™t have to go to the textbook and answer key.

I donā€™t use your answer as you said it was done many years ago, so I think it might be a good idea for you to compare my poor rendering to Ajahn Brahmaliā€™s. :smiley:

Donā€™t walk behind me;
I may not lead.
Donā€™t walk in front of me;
I may not follow.
Just walk beside me
and be my friend.

1 Like

Aha! ā€¦ Therefore thereā€™s no ambiguity in the Pali, and my first interpretation of the English becomes inadmissible as a translation.

Thank you John.

Question 8: These people will have sons

Aj Brahmali: Imesaį¹ƒ manussānaį¹ƒ puttā bhavissanti.

Iā€™m influenced by my language (Thai), we will not use the word manussā to mean people in general. Manussā will be used in specific contexts or with specific connotations. For the sentence above, I would use the word purisa. Would it be incorrect?

Question 9: We deserve a share of the relics of the fortunate one

Ajahn Brahmali: Mayaį¹ƒ Bhagavato sarÄ«rānaį¹ƒ bhāgaį¹ƒ arahāma.

How can we know that the word a share of (bhāgo) comes after sarÄ«rānaį¹ƒ.

Thank you so much, Bhante @sujato, @johnk, @stephen

1 Like

I think that would be possible, but purisa seems to have a more gender specific connotation in Pali than manussa.

It seems that it wouldnā€™t matter as these words go together (declined the same).

2 Likes

Thank you, dear. These are supremely helpful!

1 Like

Because I am knee-deep in the French translations nowā€¦two different French translations use a construction that speaks to the passage of time relative to the tathāgataā€™s (imminent) final extinguishment (ā€œin just a short time from nowā€), not the pace at which the final extinguishment will take place. Thus I propose ā€œimminentā€ is implied. Of course, neither of these translators may be correct, but thatā€™s how they both did it. (They each used slightly different constructions that mean the same thing.)

1 Like