Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 11

In one of the exercises:

See! Ananda – They are past, ended, changed
pass’ Ānanda te atītā niruddhā vipariṇatā

Please, what is the root verb for atītā + a third person sing. conjugation?
DPD says it is √i・1 a (come, go) + accayati.
In this case, I don’t recall we’ve seen this verb yet (at least, not through Lesson 17), except in the pp form it takes in the above exercise.

(It doesn’t show up in PTSD when I entered the search term.)

Thank you.

Thank you

For “atītā”: in Warder, lesson 11, the section of “adjective in a”, he introduced this adjective atīta among a list of adjectives. So, it seems to me in this exercise, it was not meant to interpret as coming from a verb (I have no idea whether the usage of a verb as in DPD can also work or not).

For “vipariṇatā”: in Warder, lesson 11, it’s a past participle, he introduced in the vocabulary section as vipariṇata

For “niruddhā”: in Warder, lesson 7, it’s a past participle, he introduced this past participle niruddha among a list of past participles

2 Likes

Ah, thank you, Clarity, for finding its identification in Lesson 11 as an adjective.

And, as it turns out, PTSD does list the adjective form atīta. Then PTSD states:
(cp. accaya 1)

So, not certain what the acronym cp means in the PTSD; @stephen ?
Still learning how to glean the nuggets from PTSD :grin:

Part of my rationale for this particular rabbit hole is learning to distinguish participles from adjectives. @johnk shared Andrew Olendzki’s translation strategy document the other day and I noted that recognizing adjectives came just about last, whereas recognizing participles came sooner.

Hi,

I think you are referring to the PTS’s PED, not a syndrome?

If you go to the U Chicago’s tab “Front Matter” then “List of Abbreviations” you will find all explained there.

the answer to your question is “compare”.

In Pali, participles function as adjectives very often.

4 Likes

Exactly, Stephen. It’s extremely common that past participles are also used as adjectives, both in Pāli and in English.

4 Likes