Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 5

Thread for discussing chapter 5 of Warder for the class on August 29.

Meeting ID: 869 8997 6290
Passcode: 2023

2 Likes

No question, yet, as Iā€™ve just finished reading Meiland. Have to do Learn Pali and Aj Brahmali before I can conclude my list of questions.

However, while reading Meiland, I want to ā€˜practiceā€™ what Iā€™ve learnt so farā€¦

mā maį¹ƒ paridevayasi

:grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Do we have different sentences in Pali for these 4 situations?

1. I love you
  2. I love him
  3. I love her
  4. I love it (neuter)

Or all of them are all just ā€œtaį¹ kāmemiā€ and we have to base on context?

1 Like

Irrelevant but related to your question :slight_smile:

The sentence ā€˜I love youā€™ was usually the first one I tried to know when I learnt a foreign language. Somehow, this time I forgot my own habit :grin: Perhaps the Pali studies has kept my brain cells too occupied with the word ā€˜paridevaā€™ :grin: :laughing: :rofl:

Pali does have pronouns for the things you have asked. You may not have gotten up to them in your textbook yet.

2 Likes

In the vocab, Warder gives for nirodho a range of meanings including cessation, peace of mind, and calm. Are the second and third ever borne out in an obvious way anywhere in the texts? The DPD doesnā€™t any such sense for nirodho. I have also never found any so far in my readings.

1 Like

Lol.

Per Stephenā€™s answer, yes there are different forms of the pronoun. As it happens though, the relevant accusative singular pronouns are all taį¹, although we can also use tvaį¹ for second person and tad for neuter. So in most cases we will have to rely on context.

Indeed, the primary sense is always ā€œcessationā€, although of course since this is the cessation of dukkha, Warderā€™s secondary senses are not far off. Perhaps he gave these as a help for people in his context who were not familar with the positive connotations of cessation.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a bit strange (to me) that the Aorist is used for the imperative mood! Am I reading that right? Any veterans have a clever way for remembering this?

2 Likes

The aorist is used for a prohibitive construction with ā€˜māā€™.
Is this what you mean?

(With this construction it does not have any sense of past. )

2 Likes

Ah I see. Only in that construction. For the usual (positive) imperative, we useā€¦ the present tense?

Itā€™s a bit strange that Warder is introducing ā€œDonā€™tā€ without formally introducing the imperative first :confused:

1 Like

Pali does have an imperative, with its own set of endings. Itā€™s often used in the 2nd person.

Perhaps you havenā€™t arrived at this yet in Warder.

(The ā€˜donā€™tā€™ construction is often mā plus aorist)

PS Iā€™m pretty amazed you are all up to aorist in one month of Pali study!)

2 Likes

Ah! The very next lesson. Still strange to give ā€œDonā€™tā€ before ā€œDoā€ ā€¦ But at least I ā€œwonā€™tā€ have to wait long :grin:

So, I guess you canā€™t use na or ma with the imperative?

2 Likes

No, mā is not used with the imperative mood.
Itā€™s only that special construction with the aorist.

(Itā€™s possible that the mā prohibitive sometimes takes present indicative, if I recall. )

Maybe Warder, in his infinite wisdomā€¦, has introduced the mā prohibitive because he has tied it to his presentation of the aorist?
Not sure, in any case itā€™s important to remember that the aorist used in this special way does not have a past sense.

2 Likes

PS, I think itā€™s also important to keep in mind that the imperative often does not have a commanding sense, but rather a polite one.
Perhaps this is sometimes called ā€˜benedictiveā€™?
Not sure
(I know Sanskrit has a distinct Benedictive mood. In Pali the imperative often has this feel. )

E.g. ā€œOpammam karohiā€ means less ā€œmake a simileā€ and more, ā€œcould you please make a simileā€ā€¦

3 Likes

Mā hā€™eva mayaį¹ taį¹ sammussimhā!

(Is that correct??)

I donā€™t recall ever seeing a verb like that.
Where did you find it?
How would you translate that sentence?

:see_no_evil: I was trying to say ā€œMay we not forget it!ā€ I found sammuss- in the DPD for ā€œto forgetā€ and tried to make it into the 1st person plural aoristā€¦

I think that sense would be conveyed with the imperative form of dhāreti.
ā€œDhārethaā€= you all should remember

Steady on now!

Yes, but we havenā€™t learned the imperative yet :wink: So I was trying to keep it within the lesson (Mā + aorist, and pronouns)

1 Like

Alam, Khemarata, mā soci mā parideviā€¦

1 Like