Bhikkhuni Patimokkha Manual

@Brahmali
@Vimala
@vimalanyani

Dear Venerables, I will be receiving full Acceptance soon and one of the requirements during nissaya is to become familiar with the Bhikkhuni Patimokkha. I was wondering if there is a manual compiled similar to the Bhikkhu Patimokkha Manual by Brahmali?

You don’t find much googling Bhikkhuni Patikmokkha. If not perhaps we can begin to compile one here.

Thank you and all the best.

11 Likes

Bhante Sujato’s Bhikkhuni Vinaya Studies (free ebook or printed copy).

9 Likes

The Bhikkhu Pātimokkha Manual is the outcome of studying the monks’ pātimokkha over many years. Personally I don’t have enough familiarity with the bhikkhunī pātimokkha to produce a similar manual for their rules. But I know there is a project under way among a number of bhikkhunīs to get a better understanding of the bhikkhunī rules. The outcome of this project is no doubt going to be very helpful.

9 Likes

For those who are interested it’s called the Bhikkhuni Vibhanga​ Project:

With the contemporary​ and spreading​ revival of the Theravada Bhikkhuni Sangha, knowledge of th​e monastic precepts and disciple of Theravada bhikkhunis has come to be of increasing interest and importance.

In 2012, the Alliance for Bhikkhunis seeded a request in support of an international team of monastics to create a new, digitized and freely available translation of the Bhikkhuni Vibhanga of the Pali texts. ​Since 2012, there have been three intensive sessions of the project held in New Zealand, in the United States and in Sri Lanka.​ There isn’t a schedule yet for the fourth intensive session of the Bhikkhuni Vibhanga Project, but Ayya Tathaaloka is hopeful that this can occur in 2020 or 2021.

Also known as the “Analysis and Explication” of the monastic precepts, the Vibhanga (pronounced: Veeb-hung-guh ) texts comprise a full half of the Buddhist Monastic Code of Discipline or Vinaya. Of that half, 60% of the discipline is fully shared by the Bhikkhu and Bhikkhuni Sanghas; while 40% is either somewhat different or unique to the bhikkhunis’ community. The Bhikkhuni Vibhanga contains the explication and analysis of that 40%, that is,​ the unique discipline developed by and for the ancient bhikkhunis’ communities themselves… continued at link above

:anjal:

11 Likes

Best wishes for your ordination!

Ayya @Niyyanika has started compiling a vinaya study guide for bhikkhunis but afaik it is still in the early stages and not ready to be shared. Maybe she can comment herself. :anjal:

8 Likes

Greetings All,

A manual has been started, however, as it has been a personal project for first my own gain in knowledge and then as a means to share within my community, it is rather raw and slow going.

The intention is to have each of the Patimokkha rules in Pali and English, with a word-by-word translation and associated glossary, as well as, the things a monastic is to know about the rule, such as, where was it made, in regards to whom, how can it be broken, and how did the rule evolve. From this, using the wonderful Vinaya Doodles, I thought that flashcards could be made with the pictures and perhaps numbers on the front and a simple subset of information about the rule on the back.

There was a thought from another bhikkhuni that it might be useful for training novices in India before the next full-ordination opportunity there, but without others who might want to work on it, I doubt that I can complete it within this year. Given the Dhammadharini community responsibilities and projects in which I participate, I can only give it a small amount of my personal time.

Now that we are out of Winter retreat, I intend to open it up to the other bhikkhunis and anagarikas at Dhammadharini to see if they might want to help and would also be happy to open it up to others here if they would like to participate. Send me an email and I will give you access to the Google Doc. Note: None of my quick and fast attempt at literal translation of each of the Pali words has yet been vetted by any of the Pali teachers I know and Ayya Sobhana is away for a month so likely not able to pick it up at this time. Therefore, I should say it is raw, slow and crude. :slight_smile:

With kind care,
Niyyanika Bhikkhuni

12 Likes

This isn’t an analytical text but it’s a handy Bhikkhuni Patimokkha booklet, particularly useful to have available in printed form. I’m surprised if it hasn’t been uploaded here yet.

Bhikkhuni-Patimokkha-Fourth-Edition_Pali-and-English-International-Edition-by-FoEBT-4-August-2019.pdf (1.9 MB)
I

5 Likes