Buddhist RSS Feeds: A way to get free of the social media bubble

Feedbro has exactly this feature. Quite sophisticated. But I don’t know if it works on mobile browsers.

2 Likes

I’m Ok with the idea of seeing postings on Youtube/Facebook through RSS (thereby skipping most or all ads, and other distracting frou frou), but what I’m not a fan of is converting said content into RSS using some third party service.

If the Youtubes and Facebooks of the world staunchly refuse to make their content available by RSS, I’m not wanting to fight against that, because they will probably also seek to confound RSS conversion efforts from time to time, causing subtle, low-level changes which cause breakages at said 3rd party RSS conversion services. Thereby making people hate RSS when it stops working all of a sudden. People will blame RSS, when the blame far more likely rests on the Youtubes ond Facebooks of the world, causing breakages to RSS clingers-on, pulling out the rug from under their feet, as it were.

Please think that scenario through, where blame gets cleverly scraped off, onto one’s “enemies”. This is peak deviousness, IMHO.

If Youtube and Facebook don’t directly and easily support RSS, being jerks, then fine, let them be jerks. I won’t painstakingly even try to “swim upstream”, as it were, trying to overcome their “jerkness”.

Thunderbird has this. :nerd_face:

Once you Subscribe to an RSS feed, then right-click the feed in the left-hand “Folders” pane, then click “Search Messages…” Then a dialog box appears like this:

There are powerful filters you can create, based on things like Subject, Body, Age, etc. You can have more than one filter by pressing the “+” button on the right. Once you’re satisfied, that filtering can be made persistent (creating a so-called “Search Folder”) by pressing the “Save as Search Folder”, see red arrow above.

1 Like

That’s cool, I didn’t know you could do that. But the need to “View Page Source” to pluck out that esoteric ChannelID is a far cry from convenient.

Note: Anyone who extracts it accordingly, then posts the link above does everyone else a valuable service!

1 Like

Alright. Implemented! You can now subscribe to all the content I’m adding to my library, or to just the topics that interest you. :slight_smile:

@Subharo - It did require forking the jekyll-feed plugin, but with only minimal changes.

1 Like

Great!

I have no idea how it works, but Feedbro has a feature where you can “find feeds in current tab”. So for example in Wordpress if you are looking at a tag page and clicked this, it would show you the feed for that tag. Don’t know if your tag pages are created programatically and if this would be possible for you to do. Also don’t know how important it is for this feature to exist either :slight_smile:

This appears in the header of a WP page for tag goood-actions:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Colombo Dhamma Friends &raquo; Feed" href="https://www.serenecolombo.org/feed/" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Colombo Dhamma Friends &raquo; Comments Feed" href="https://www.serenecolombo.org/comments/feed/" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Colombo Dhamma Friends &raquo; good actions Tag Feed" href="https://www.serenecolombo.org/tag/good-actions/feed/" />
1 Like

Thanks for the pointer! Didn’t know about that.

It seems the built-in Jekyll SEO was already adding the basic blog link to every page. I’ve added my new custom .xml’s where they seemed logical.

“Quality is for you, not for your customers.” ~ Paraphrasing DeMarco and Lister

1 Like

So do I understand correctly that there is no feed for all new content? Just curious.

Awesome! Then I think you didn’t spend one of your precious “Innovation Tokens”. :wink:

1 Like

By default, Jekyll only gives you a feed for new blog posts. I’ve just added a feed for the library content. If you’re asking for a unified feed with both, no I didn’t implement that.

No :joy: I mean, Jekyll as a whole had a bit of a learning curve for me (liquid?) but overall, it’s “boring technology” indeed!

1 Like

No, I meant a unified feed for all library content.

That would be this one: https://buddhistuniversity.net/feed/content.xml

1 Like

I had what feels like an authentic Buddhist insight, regarding using my RSS feed reader whenever I can (as opposed to regularly visiting several websites).

It feels far more dispassionate, when I let the new articles come to me (in the RSS reader app), rather than me going seeking for new articles at each site.

The former is much more laid-back: let the tidbits come as they may, I can wait.

The latter seems much more imbued with craving: let me go scouring around in case there’s anything worth finding.

2 Likes

@Khemarato.bhikkhu I had put Ajahn Thanissaro’s feed under EBT because when new translations are published they get announced on that feed. It’s a hard one to categorize.

1 Like

@Snowbird , and @Khemarato.bhikkhu , thank you for your work in this wiki!! :fireworks:

I acknowledged your efforts in my recent Dhamma Talk, fast forward in 0:47 here:

BTW: I did a show-and-tell as to what Thunderbird looks like, when many of the above Buddhist RSS feeds above are subscribed to, fast-forward 13:20 in the video above.

2 Likes

@Khemarato.bhikkhu Curious why you deleted those two android feed reader apps. Was there a problem with them?

1 Like

Yes. Ran into some nasty bugs in both apps w.r.t. read state. Better to recommend one good one than two buggy ones.

3 Likes

Here is a good detailed article about web feeds for people interested in slightly more technical information.

1 Like

While looking at a channel on odysee, I noticed that they actually support RSS straight-up. When looking at the front page for a particular content provider, in the banner image behind their face, click the three dots in the upper right, then click “Copy RSS URL”:

RSS_in_lbry

Just added the best RSS Feed in Saṃsāra: @Snowbird 's Daily Sutta! :grin:

3 Likes