Can dāna mean generosity? Does it ever in the texts?

I have always thought that dāna means giving and cāga means alms.

But now I notice that in the NCPED “liberality” is listed in the definition.

suttacentral.net/define/dāna

Thoughts?

1 Like

Dana in the Pali Canon:

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/the-gift-of-giving-dana-in-the-pali-canon

2 Likes

“And what does it mean to be consummate in generosity? There is the case of a disciple of the noble ones, his awareness cleansed of the stain of miserliness, living at home, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms. This is called being consummate in generosity.”—AN 8.54

2 Likes

I’m not a Pali expert, but from the below suttas it seems like dāna means the act of giving gifts while cāga is more like the quality of generosity (or giving up)? Not really sure though…

Dveme, bhikkhave, cāgā. Katame dve? Āmisacāgo ca dhammacāgo ca. Ime kho, bhikkhave, dve cāgā. Etadaggaṁ, bhikkhave, imesaṁ dvinnaṁ cāgānaṁ yadidaṁ dhammacāgo"ti
“There are these two acts of generosity. What two? Generosity with material things and generosity with the teaching. These are the two acts of generosity. The better of these two acts of generosity is generosity with the teaching.” (AN 2.143)

Sabbadānaṁ dhammadānaṁ jināti,
Sabbarasaṁ dhammaraso jināti;
Sabbaratiṁ dhammarati jināti,
Taṇhakkhayo sabbadukkhaṁ jināti.

The gift of the Dhamma surpasses all other gifts,
the taste of the Dhamma surpasses all other tastes,
the love of the Dhamma surpasses all other loves,
destruction of craving overcomes all suffering.
Dhammapada 354

I guess this is why you can do cāgānussati

Chayimāni, bhikkhave, anussatiṭṭhānāni. Katamāni cha? Buddhānussati, dhammānussati, sanghānussati, sīlānussati, cāgānussati, devatānussati. Imāni kho, bhikkhave, cha anussatiṭṭhānānī"ti.
Mendicants, there are these six topics for recollection. What six? The recollection of the Buddha, the teaching, the Saṅgha, ethics, generosity, and the deities. These are the six topics for recollection. (AN 6.9)

3 Likes

Note that this sutta is delivered to a layperson, at a higher level recollection would be focussed on sila:

[5] “Furthermore, there is the case where you recollect your own generosity: ‘It is a gain, a great gain for me, that — among people overcome with the stain of possessiveness — I live at home, my awareness cleansed of the stain of possessiveness, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms.’ At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting generosity, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on generosity.”—AN 11.12