Coming back from the dead!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks very much for this! This is an extraordinary video to listen to and Part 2 is also very much worth watching.

1 Like
2 Likes

I found it fascinating to watch the video @Garrib posted as well as the Luis Minero video in terms of what I remember reading in some EBTs!

Anyone feel like hunting down some references? :grin:

What do a Cardiologist, a Chemist, a Mechanical Engineer and a Neurosurgeon have in common? You’ve got to watch all the videos for the answer :wink:

1 Like

I think I might give a few of these their own posts in the AV category. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to watch these yet but I have a question: Is the neurosurgeon you referred to Eben Alexander?

Results of world’s largest Near Death Experiences study published

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2014/10/07-worlds-largest-near-death-experiences-study.page

:anjal:

2 Likes

This was interesting:

One case was validated and timed using auditory stimuli during cardiac arrest. Dr Parnia concluded: “This is significant, since it has often been assumed that experiences in relation to death are likely hallucinations or illusions, occurring either before the heart stops or after the heart has been successfully restarted, but not an experience corresponding with ‘real’ events when the heart isn’t beating. In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat. This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn’t resume again until the heart has been restarted. Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events.

“Thus, while it was not possible to absolutely prove the reality or meaning of patients’ experiences and claims of awareness, (due to the very low incidence (2 per cent) of explicit recall of visual awareness or so called OBE’s), it was impossible to disclaim them either and more work is needed in this area. Clearly, the recalled experience surrounding death now merits further genuine investigation without prejudice.”

2 Likes

And this! From the second news article:

“We know the brain can’t function when the heart has stopped beating,” said Dr Sam Parnia, a former research fellow at Southampton University, now at the State University of New York, who led the study.

“But in this case, conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes into the period when the heart wasn’t beating, even though the brain typically shuts down within 20-30 seconds after the heart has stopped.

“The man described everything that had happened in the room, but importantly, he heard two bleeps from a machine that makes a noise at three minute intervals. So we could time how long the experienced lasted for.

“He seemed very credible and everything that he said had happened to him had actually happened.”

Of 2,060 cardiac arrest patients studied, 330 survived and of 140 surveyed, 39 per cent said they had experienced some kind of awareness while being resuscitated.

“Many people have assumed that these were hallucinations or illusions but they do seem to corresponded to actual events.

“Most studies look retrospectively, 10 or 20 years ago, but the researchers went out looking for examples and used a really large sample size, so this gives the work a lot of validity.

Although many could not recall specific details, some themes emerged. One in five said they had felt an unusual sense of peacefulness while nearly one third said time had slowed down or speeded up.

1 Like

Near Death Experience

Research Foundation

NDERF is the largest NDE website in the world with over 4000 Experiences in over 23 Languages!

https://www.nderf.org/index.htm

:anjal:

4 Likes