Creative Commons translations and possible misuse

I wasn’t responding to your post. I was asking ‘Ajahn Sujato’ a question and, making an observation, based on past experience.
:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you Bhante.
Now I see your insight.
You have free up the Buddha’s teaching to the English Speaking world!
:anjal:

4 Likes

That’s the plan. Only, not just the English-speaking world!

9 Likes

Lots of errors in the Sinhala translation hosted on SC. :weary:

2 Likes

What is the Sinhalese translation used in SC?
I know there is a Buddha Jayanti translation.
The latest is the Ven. Nanananda’s translation for which some monks object.

We use the AP de Zoysa translation. Happy to add others if there are decent source files.

4 Likes

@sujato
I Google an found the following about Buddha Jayanti Tipitaka.

I think I may have just heard Mat volunteer to create new translations. :thinking:

3 Likes

Huh. If karl could find me an absorption that stops me from needing sleep :zzz: we might have a practical solution to this.

6 Likes

I alway wonder how @Bhante Sujato translate four Nikaya in two years. It take about six months just to read it without understanidng.
Can we write a programme to translate Pali to Sinhalease? Just tinking loud.
:grin:

2 Likes

Well. There is this:

ප්රඥාවෙන් ප්රඥාවෙන් නිදහස් වී ඇත්තේ කෙසේද? “මම කෑදරකම, ද්වේෂය සහ මෝඩකම අත්හැර දමා, මුලින් ඔවුන් කපා, පාම් පොල්ලක් මෙන් ඒවා සාදා, ඒවා මුළුමනින්ම විනාශ කළෙමි. එබැවින් අනාගතයේ දී ඔවුන් හට නැඟී සිටිය නොහැකි ය.” ප්රඥාවන්තයාගේ මනස හොඳින් ප්රඥාවෙන් මුදාහරියි.

දක්ෂ ශිල්පියෙකුගේ ගුණාංගයන් 10: දක්ෂ ශිල්පියාගේ නිවැරදි දෘෂ්ටිය, නිවැරදි චින්තනය, නිවැරදි කථාව, නිවැරදි ක්රියා, නිවැරදි ජීවනෝපාය, නිවැරදි ප්රයත්නය, නිවැරදි සිහිකල්පනාව, නිවැරදි ගිල්වීම, නිවැරදි දැනුම හා නිවැරදි නිදහස.

However, I think one might need to edit such extensively.

2 Likes

I think we could have several translations in Sinhala if it’s not too much. The above reads I got rid of greed, anger and stupidity, turned them in to bread sticks and destroyed it.

4 Likes

AWS Polly has no Sinhala voice, but Google Translate does. Paste your sentence there to hear it.

1 Like

In English:
made like a palmyra stump

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

1 Like

Umm, I mean … Is this a typo or does someone think this is really what it means?

Palm has been rendered phonetically and left untranslated (palm = පාම්). Stumps have become sticks. The dead palm tree concept with it’s crown destroyed, doesn’t manifest.

1 Like

Well, that is unfortunate. If the translation mangles such a well-known idiom, one wonders what it does with things that are actually hard.

3 Likes

Well know only to us, though. I’m quite sure the good folks working to create language translation algorithms are not giving priority to being able to translate Buddhist texts. In my experience all of the specialized, rather poetic Buddhist language in Sinhala doesn’t work well at all in Google translate.

2 Likes

I thought it was translated by someone!!!

Oh, sorry, I’ve lost track. I assumed it was a computer doing it.