SuttaCentral

Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival, Independent of Diet Composition and Calories

Interesting study on a possible positive side-effect of the one meal a day approach commonly followed by the bhikkhu and bhikkhuni sanghas.

Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Composition and Calories (Cell Metabolism Journal)

Maybe the Buddha had it in mind when he taught what is recorded in MN70? :slight_smile:

“Reverends, the Buddha abstains from eating at night, and so does the mendicant Saṅgha.
Doing so, they find that they’re healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably.
You too should abstain from eating at night.
Doing so, you’ll find that you’re healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably.”

Okay, so I’m looking at suttas related to dieting, and the proper approach in right ways to think about it. So I read the passage from Kitagiri, and I was digging it til the very end. Then I found this:

" I will not relax my energy until I have achieved what is possible by manly strength, energy, and vigor.’ A faithful disciple who is practicing to fathom the Teacher’s instructions can expect one of two results: enlightenment in the present life, or if there’s something left over, non-return.”"

Oh great! I don’t have any of those. What’s a GIRL to do? Oh dear Buddha!

Replace manly with human. :slight_smile:

Looking for craving might yield better results!

What’s a GIRL to do?

Don’t take it literally. Its supposed to be a description of strong consistent effort, not that you have to literally be a man

The Fat Cat and I are thinner now that we both stopped eating dinner. SHE is doing fine and has stopped expecting dinner other than a token kibble or two.