Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

Must have been Mara fooling you :wink:

5 Likes

Ha, haā€¦ no itā€™s okayā€¦Iā€™ve got all the information I would like to have at this point. :laughing:

Sorryā€¦:yum: :blush:

2 Likes

The Brahma Vihara should be projected to all directions (eventually) simultaneously, as per SN42.8

@sabbamitta do you practice it in this manner, or in a different way? :slight_smile:

ā€™Thus above, below, & all around, everywhere, in its entirety, he keeps pervading the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with equanimity ā€” abundant, expansive, immeasurable,ā€™. SN42.8

The conch makes a loud sound that is heard everywhere simultaneously, too.

It should be ideally practiced in all postures (allways) too, as mentioned in the Metta Sutta, at least when meeting someone or at the very absolute minimum- for a moment (anytime). :slight_smile:

:earth_asia:

With metta

3 Likes

Remember this post? The Compassionate Refuge of the Triple Gem

And this one (with video of Galadriel):

5 Likes

Oooooooook, lets see if we can get this thread back on track. Maybe we should start a self-help thread for people with fantasy and scifi deficiency. :wink:

Thanks for sending this one, too! Turns out the Hallisay translation is much nicer than Normanā€™s!

Lol, this is the first time I hear of it. But thanks for broadening my horizon. Weā€™ll see if I can come up with an idea for a deva realm. Unfortunately the general picture in the suttas of one guy with 500 ladies isnā€™t that inspiring nowadays for either guys or girlsā€¦ Sounds like a pretty tiresome gender imbalance.

4 Likes

Yourself as your own island

SN 47.9

Dwell with yourselves as your own island, with yourselves as your own refuge, with no other refuge; dwell with the Dhamma as your island, with the Dhamma as your refuge, with no other refuge.

Those bhikkhus, Ānanda, either now or after I am gone, who dwell with themselves as their own island, with themselves as their own refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as their island, with the Dhamma as their refuge, with no other refugeā€”it is these bhikkhus, Ānanda, who will be for me topmost of those keen on the training.

31 Likes

@sabbamitta
me neither, whewā€¦

4 Likes

How sweet! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

My metta practise started with teachings by Bhante Sujato about the technique taught by Ajahn Maha Chatchai. This includes developing metta to oneself, a loved person, a neutral person, and a disliked person, and from there go to the radiation of metta to all directions, developing the metta nimitta and eventually the jhanas. I did this practise quite intensely for some time, and now am more varying with other types of meditation. But the feeling of metta as I learned to develop with this particular technique is usually pervading whatever kind of meditation I am doing.

6 Likes

Sure, I remember the posts you mention here. This is about Galadriel and Lothlorien which to my understanding are not part of star wars.

From the context I understood LOTR being a star wars figure, therefore my perplexity.

But probably thatā€™s just another deficiency of knowledge on my partā€¦ apologies for my humble stupidity! :no_mouth:

6 Likes

:hugs: :hugs:
No worries, it will be part of your training at Tilorien! :wink:
There will be a terrifying exam before your samaneri ordinationā€¦ :japanese_ogre:

8 Likes

Looking forward to that oneā€¦ :scream: :skull_and_crossbones: :scream:

6 Likes

All this discussion about LOTR on the threadā€¦ I couldnā€™t get it out of my head! I had to do some doodle therapy, and the outcome is:

The fellowship and the mountain ring of Magadha!

featuring counterclockwise: Bhikkhunis Khema, Uppalavanna, Mahapajapati, Bhikkhus Moggallana, Sariputta, Ananda and the Buddha. And Mara on the left side :wink:

21 Likes

Sorry for the confusion @sabbamitta I was just illustrating my lack of scifi and fantasy knowledge. A rather confusing change of subject.

Ven. @yodha I havenā€™t had a chance to share your doodles with kids yet but I check this thread every morning at 4.30am before puja and meditation for my happy Dhamma doodle boost. :pray:

8 Likes

Peopled out

29 Likes

(in reference to peopled out doodle in msg 126)
viveka nissitam, / seclusion is necessary!
viraga nissitam, / dis-passion is necessary
nirodha nissitam / cessation is necessary
vossagga-parinamim / release (it ) culminates in

10 Likes

People are attached to people;
People are dependent on people;
People are hurt by people;
And people hurt people.

Whatā€™s the point of people,
Or the things people make?
Go, leave these people,
Whoā€™ve hurt so many people.
Thag 2.15

I love this translation by Bhante Sujato!

19 Likes

Did you pick your name from that gatha?

5 Likes

Sort of. But not me.

I asked Bhante @sujato for a Pali name, and thatā€™s what he came up with (including the gatha). :anjal:

Edit: Ayya @Vimala actually contributed the ā€œMittaā€ bit, and then Bhante came up with the rest of it.

10 Likes

It has an interesting (false) contradiction. The gatha talks of distancing from people but the name of the gatha is Sabbamitta, which means ā€˜friendly with everyoneā€™. One distances, and is not attached, precisely because of having loving-kindness. Friendships waxes and wane and need to be handled with much mindfulness and caring. Avoiding conflict oneā€™s dwelling is in metta- when associating up close, friendship should be tempered with equanimity (upekkha). Fewer relationships, equals samadhi protected.

With metta

13 Likes