Discussion for Bilara users

Ah, good, I wasn’t sure about that.

There are actually two sorts of possible problems:

1. the link has a wrong structure and doesn’t work because of that, like for example: <a href='an03.100.1-10'>AN 3.100 (i-x)</a>
  2. the Sutta that is indicated by the link doesn’t have what you are looking for, i.e. in my case, the simile indicated is not found in the Sutta pointed to by the link; or in your case, the respective name doesn’t occur.

The first one is relatively easy to fix: in this case, for example, you remove (in your translation) the “0” in the part href='an03.100.1-10', and also the .1-10` doesn’t exist in SC numbering; then you make a note in a post here so that others can see it and correct it in their language.

The second one can be trickier. The most frequent reason I found for a simile not being in the Sutta indicated by the link is that the numbering systems differ on the two websites. If you look into my lists you see lots of examples for that. For example we find AN 7.70 which stems from Access to Insight, but the Sutta is actually AN 7.74 on SuttaCentral.

So in such a case, if I don’t find the simile in AN 7.70, I go to AN 7.70 on AtI to look what it is and then have to find that Sutta on SC … that’s the most time consuming thing. Because you can’t expect the same terminology on SC, so you can’t just search for a passage from the AtI Sutta; but you have to search according to meaning and what you remember the wording could be; preferably, of course, within the same section. So AN 7 Suttas should be found within AN 7. Sometimes you may just click through that chapter; but the numbers may be considerably apart in some cases.

Another problem that I found sometimes is that apparently the abbreviation is handled differently on the two websites. The most prominent example for that are DN 11 and 12, which are frequently mentioned in the simile index, but don’t have any of the indicated similes on SC. Instead, so far I found all the similes in DN 10 (which seems not to be included in the translated Suttas on AtI).

And in very few cases I couldn’t find the indicated simile anywhere at all. In which case I left this item out in my translation.

I am now through about 75% of the simile index, doing a little every day.

Actually, just remembered, I already collected a few here, but there must be many more. But so you have a start and can see what I did.

1 Like