Discussion for Bilara users

Lol, yes.

Wow, it really is, you’ve translated over 2,000 suttas! Congratulations!

Well, the thing is, how much does it really matter? On SC you can still see the sutta number. In our publications, these headings will not appear anyway. I’ve not heard anyone actually complain about it. Until, that is, you blessed me with the nectar of sweet awareness!

But never mind, I can do it. If you give me a time when you won’t be translating, I’ll do it then. I’m available right now.

5 Likes

Great! Sounds like a good time, as I am going to have a meeting. Thank you!

2 Likes

sorry I’m off now too, we’ll have to do it later.

3 Likes

Okay, let me know when you have the time.

Or, you know what, just leave it. All Suttas except for the KN texts do show their number in translation right now (it’s not just Ud, It’s all KN texts). Those I can add by hand, I haven’t really translated much of KN so far.

Yes, exactly, you can see the number on SC, as well as on Voice or EBT-Sites. But assisted users can’t see them, they need to hear them. This is only possible when they are in translation, as Aditi doesn’t speak numbers.

But never mind, I can handle what is needed myself. Thank you anyway!

3 Likes

Hello, I just created a thread dedicated to french translations done with Bilara. This is where I will post the links of my translations available for peer review, and have invited other potential french translators to post about their translations there too.

5 Likes

Just so y’all know, the site translation files are in some need of revision, I want to update them but haven’t had the time. This won’t apply to all of them, or to all of the content within them, but I’ll just note some here that should should be safe to translate, i.e. I have no current plans to revise them.

• abbreviations
  • abhidhamma
  • guides to the 4 nikayas
  • discourses
  • donations
  • introduction
  • languages
  • licensing
  • methodology
  • start
  • vinaya
  • similes
  • subjects
  • terminology

UNSAFE pages, which probably need revision, include:

• numbering
  • about
  • acknowledgements
  • home
  • interface
  • index of names

None of these are fixed, but this should help.

5 Likes

Dear all, Bhante is keeping track of website project files here:

If the status is “safe” it’s ok to translate or review a previous translation.

5 Likes

Hello @carmi , thanks a lot for this doc. I’d be happy to start on some of these too, how I should I go about it? I suppose I need another project file on Bilara?

1 Like

Wonderful, thanks @noeismet :slight_smile: :pray:

That’s right, they’re separate projects. I’ll get those set up for you.

1 Like

Today I got the same for the first time with a “blurb” pull request too. I got an error message, but here too the pull request was created nevertheless.

My hypothesis is that this is a sort of a time out thing. The AN is a very big Nikaya, and in German, it is already entirely translated. Maybe my blurb files now also got to a point where they pass beyond a certain size limit that can be easily handled by GitHub in the expected time. If this is the case, the problem will most likely arise with the SN too at some point.

I don’t know if there is a need to fix this though, as long as the pull requests work nevertheless.

@sujato? @blake?

1 Like

I agree, I think it’s a timing mismatch. We will look into it!

2 Likes

Hello @carmi ,
I am wondering about the status of these “unsafe” pages:

home_translation-[lang]-site
interface_translation-[lang]-site

I’d be interested to put them on my list.
Noé

1 Like

Just give it a little time. I’m focussed on getting the publications finished, then I’ll update the “unsafe” pages. :pray:

4 Likes

Ok that’s great, thanks a lot. :pray:

2 Likes

I’ve started working on the DN 3 translation.
But just at the beginning of the sutta segments 1.2.4. and 1.2.5. are missing in the Pali text.
If someone could please insert them, that would be great.

1 Like

It seems the missing bits should be something like

Taṁ kho pana bhavantaṁ gotamaṁ evaṁ kalyāṇo kittisaddo abbhuggato:
He has this good reputation:
‘itipi so bhagavā arahaṁ sammāsambuddho vijjācaraṇasampanno sugato lokavidū anuttaro purisadammasārathi, satthā devamanussānaṁ buddho bhagavāti’.
‘That Blessed One is perfected, a fully awakened Buddha, accomplished in knowledge and conduct, holy, knower of the world, supreme guide for those who wish to train, teacher of gods and humans, awakened, blessed.’

(like for example in AN 5.30)

Bhante @sujato

Is this a mistake in the Mahasangiti, or a mistake in importing it to Bilara?

2 Likes

Thank you @sabbamitta :pray:
Yes, that’s standard formula, so it’s easy to reconstruct.
Just wanted to signal a gap in the Pali text.

1 Like

I’ve fixed this, and it seems to be okay for me on Bilara now.

FYI, in such a case, when text, even when it is a stock text, I always go back to the original MS edition to ensure it is corrected properly.

3 Likes

Actually scratch that. The text is fine, but for some reason it’s not committing the edits. I’ll give it a little while, maybe it’s just in a bad mood.

If anyone has issues with writing to dn3 let me know.

1 Like

Hi bhante @sujato, @carmi, @blake, just a headsup, I couldnt find in Bilara the blurbs for suttas in AN5 from #303 onwards.
Is this a known issue?
:anjal:

1 Like