Discussion for Bilara users

Ok, I’ll alert Blake to this.

2 Likes

No, the issue also arises when I try a text from SN as well. Below is what I got when trying to publish/update SN2.20.

@blake, bhante @sujato, I really hope we can solve this, otherwise progress in the Portuguese translation work remains stalled.

:anjal:

3 Likes

From what I can tell publishing works fine for multiple suttas but is (at least in some cases) broken for single suttas. The critical insight was that it breaks for any filename with a . in it, such as AN and SN suttas. I have pushed a fix which should hopefully allow such single suttas to be published.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply!
I have just tested it and the error messages are gone.
@carmi could you confirm there publish and update were pushed through?
Thanks! :anjal:

1 Like

Be brave: test NOW! :smiley:

1 Like

Question to Bhante @sujato: Is it now safe to go back to translating new Ud Suttas? As I have just recently fallen even more deeply in love with that collection … :heart:

And perhaps related: Why is it that no Sutta numbers are shown in the Ud Suttas? I am actually adding them in my translation; otherwise, assisted users of Voice and Ebt-sites can’t access them as the Pali voice doesn’t read numbers.

1 Like

Hello, I just published SN 3.3 and I didn’t get any error message and the Push Request was created.
Thank you for your help @blake

Noé

1 Like

Thanks Blake :pray:

Thanks @Gabriel_L @noeismet, confirming your translations have come through and have been published. The last website update was a few days ago, so you’ll see them on SuttaCentral in the next week with the next update. Noé, that gives us time to update your publication details. I’ll message you separately for those.

1 Like

Should be!

Well, that’s a long story. It involves a little monk called Sujato, who started a website called SuttaCentral despite not knowing anything about, well, anything much really. Many years ago, lost in the mists of time, he decided … to be honest, the whole story is pretty boring and I will spare you.

tl;dr: I have now changed all heading styles for my translations so that they use the same approach as in MN and DN, i.e. the full sutta number is included with the name of the collection at the head of the file.

So now we consistently have:

• Middle Discourses 123
  • Linked Discourses 4.5
  • Heartfelt Sayings 2.3
  • So It Was Said 87
  • Sayings of Dhamma 34–67

And so on.

5 Likes

Good idea, thank you!

And … would there be a way to automate this for what I have already translated? I wouldn’t know how to automate it, and doing it by hand for a thousand or more Suttas would keep me busy for a long while … :grimacing:

2 Likes

Lol, yes.

Wow, it really is, you’ve translated over 2,000 suttas! Congratulations!

Well, the thing is, how much does it really matter? On SC you can still see the sutta number. In our publications, these headings will not appear anyway. I’ve not heard anyone actually complain about it. Until, that is, you blessed me with the nectar of sweet awareness!

But never mind, I can do it. If you give me a time when you won’t be translating, I’ll do it then. I’m available right now.

5 Likes

Great! Sounds like a good time, as I am going to have a meeting. Thank you!

2 Likes

sorry I’m off now too, we’ll have to do it later.

3 Likes

Okay, let me know when you have the time.

Or, you know what, just leave it. All Suttas except for the KN texts do show their number in translation right now (it’s not just Ud, It’s all KN texts). Those I can add by hand, I haven’t really translated much of KN so far.

Yes, exactly, you can see the number on SC, as well as on Voice or EBT-Sites. But assisted users can’t see them, they need to hear them. This is only possible when they are in translation, as Aditi doesn’t speak numbers.

But never mind, I can handle what is needed myself. Thank you anyway!

3 Likes

Hello, I just created a thread dedicated to french translations done with Bilara. This is where I will post the links of my translations available for peer review, and have invited other potential french translators to post about their translations there too.

5 Likes

Just so y’all know, the site translation files are in some need of revision, I want to update them but haven’t had the time. This won’t apply to all of them, or to all of the content within them, but I’ll just note some here that should should be safe to translate, i.e. I have no current plans to revise them.

• abbreviations
  • abhidhamma
  • guides to the 4 nikayas
  • discourses
  • donations
  • introduction
  • languages
  • licensing
  • methodology
  • start
  • vinaya
  • similes
  • subjects
  • terminology

UNSAFE pages, which probably need revision, include:

• numbering
  • about
  • acknowledgements
  • home
  • interface
  • index of names

None of these are fixed, but this should help.

5 Likes

Dear all, Bhante is keeping track of website project files here:

If the status is “safe” it’s ok to translate or review a previous translation.

5 Likes

Hello @carmi , thanks a lot for this doc. I’d be happy to start on some of these too, how I should I go about it? I suppose I need another project file on Bilara?

1 Like

Wonderful, thanks @noeismet :slight_smile: :pray:

That’s right, they’re separate projects. I’ll get those set up for you.

1 Like

Today I got the same for the first time with a “blurb” pull request too. I got an error message, but here too the pull request was created nevertheless.

My hypothesis is that this is a sort of a time out thing. The AN is a very big Nikaya, and in German, it is already entirely translated. Maybe my blurb files now also got to a point where they pass beyond a certain size limit that can be easily handled by GitHub in the expected time. If this is the case, the problem will most likely arise with the SN too at some point.

I don’t know if there is a need to fix this though, as long as the pull requests work nevertheless.

@sujato? @blake?

1 Like