Easter Eggs đŸ„š on SuttaCentral

Hello.

I always heard that nagas where have human half snake, but I recently learned that they are actually closer to dragons than snakes.

3 Likes

The Suttas themselves are treasure enough for me. If I find an Easter egg, I think it will be by syncronicity.

5 Likes

I just tried the Konami Code to no avail. I give up.

If we don’t find the Eggs by Easter Monday you should start randomly banning people
 jk lol

2 Likes

In the commercial world, these (“Easter Eggs”) are s/t hidden away in software products as a sort of expression of developer cleverness, a sort of inside joke. Also been known to list names of the developers in corporate situations where that’s otherwise frowned on.

When i was working as ParcPlace Systems (“PPS” - the Smalltalk-80 vendor in the 1980s-1990s), the lead crew stuck such a self-advertisement into a release once, but it got caught during alpha-testing, and didn’t get out the door.

I would guess what’s going on here now is (at least what used to be called) beta-testing, i.e. by a sampling of customers. Debugging done before the release here the other day being alpha-testing (by the developer and QA teams).

With any significant software system, it’s never completely bug-free. Release was allowed, as per the system used at PPS when I was in QA there when: 1) new functionality works; 2) older functionality still works; 3) no “show-stoppers” known.

1 Like

The first 4 Easter Eggs have been found. We are still missing one with the hint: Who is Yodha? Sofar I have not seen anything that comes anywhere close. The PTS Dictionary entry is a genuine entry from the PTS Dictionary and is not a joke.

1 Like

When I made my first reply in this thread

I was unsure first if all the hints were pointing to one and the same Easter Egg or each one to another egg. Assuming the first option I tried to find some connection that links all the hints together, but when coming across the second egg it became clear to me that this cannot be the case. :grin:

1 Like

As nobody sofar has managed to find the last Easter Egg, I will give another hint.

Hint 1: Who is Yodha?
Hint 2: Where on the new SC site can you find a list of people and the suttas they appear in?

Okay, I’ve made it much too easy now :smile:

5 Likes

:open_mouth:
!
Now I know where it is but my phone wont let me go there
:sob:

4 Likes

The names index won’t populate for me in Firefox or Chromium:

2 Likes

lol best scavenger hunt in which i have observed ever! Plus Buddhists as lol keystone cops scavengers! For easter bunny eggs! ahhh lol

one feels great affection for a species.

2 Likes

Works on my phone:

New photo by Alfred Conlan
5 Likes

what is a nunk? =D

3 Likes

Cross between an Nun and Monk, I think? Perhaps Ayya @vimalanyani could clarify :heart:

The link leads to here

7 Likes

sadhu, sadhu, sadhu, & ty.

2 Likes

Yeah! @aconlan gets the :trophy: for finding this one.

That’s bad. What if you do a refresh? Does the console say anything?

A genderless monastic. In fact, we are all just monastics anyway.
Indeed, clicking on the DD link behind it explains it all.

5 Likes

For me it does exactly the same, but it’s on Chrome. :disappointed_relieved:

But - congrats, @aconlan, for finding this one! This night I had a good sleep instead of looking for Easter Eggs—which is probably much better for my health. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There are font errors that appear on the other indexes as well but on the names index there is a 404 for the en.json file in the /static_names/ folder:

it looks like it should be pointing to the /static_names-page/ instead. Like:

client/localization/elements/static_names-page/en.json

Thanks! I’m glad you slept well :grinning::pray:

1 Like

Changed to /static_names-page/ in these 2 places and it seems to be running correctly on my localhost:

2 Likes