SuttaCentral EPUBs are go!

Update: sorry, EPUBs broke a while ago. We’re working on a major upgrade as part of our publications project, your patience is appreciated!

And with a flourish and a ta-da, I announce: we now support EPUB export from SuttaCentral!

EPUBs are available via the Downloads page from the main menu. They cover only the new, SC-produced “segmented” translations; we will not be offering EPUB support for older translations. Currently this is only my translations, others will be added in due course.

The EPUBs are valid EPUB 3.0, and should work on most up-to-date readers. However, the world of EPUB readers is a wild and woolly one, and we cannot provide specific fixes for each and every combination of device and software. For Android, I recommend Lithium reader.

There are a number of other changes with this update, including a number of text and other corrections.

32 Likes

It is so cool…! :star_struck:
Sadhu!

5 Likes

Sadhu Sadhu!

This is wonderful.

Quick typo… There is an erroneous () at the end of MN 9.

Someone had suggested in a previous thread on epubs that it would be useful to put the date of generation in the book so one would be able to tell if they had the most recent version.

Also a formatting suggestion for the Thag and Thig, since they are entirely composed of verses the books would be more readable on small devices if the margins were normal. I realize they all have a final line that is not verse.

10 Likes

I just uploaded the Therigatha to Google books, and it works fantastically!

Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu!

5 Likes

I’d just like to express my gratitude for the EPUBs. They look wonderful! :sparkling_heart::dharmawheel: (For anyone interested, I’m using the Readium App for Chromebook.)

I would recommend version management. For example, the current edition could be named Long Discourses—Spring 2019, the next version Long Discourses—Summer 2019 (if there are revisions by June 21) and so on, storing the EPUBs instead of generating them live and publishing at most four editions each year (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) on an as-needed (possibly automated) basis. Perhaps a special page on SC, linked to on the downloads page, could list past editions. This would provide easy-to-reference “critical editions” of the translations. For changes made during the past three months, interested readers can consult the online “live” translations on SC.

7 Likes

Thanks, we’ll give some thought to versioning.

In fact all our texts are under version control via github. That allows anyone to check any change, however minute, to any text at any time since the creation of the repo.

This is great, but it’s too granular for most people.

A simple approach would be to put a “downloaded” date in the EPUB. That way at least you can tell it it’s earlier or later. And if you need to, you can always check it against the repo to see the detailed changes.

The best option would be to introduce a “semantic versioning” for texts. I’d like to do that, but it would take a bit to implement. I’ll discuss it with the team.

6 Likes

hi, thanks for your excellent work!

i’m new here, studying Agama in Chinese, but where and how could i download the Epub version of Suttacentral?

and i’m wondering which is the raw file of this site on the SuttaCentral · GitHub site?

tks again!

2 Likes

Hi ccy and welcome to the forum!

E-pubs are available in the downloads section here:

The link to the GitHub repo is also available there.

1 Like

thanks!:pray::grinning: but there is only the english version,
how could download the full languages available on this site?

I believe the E-pubs are currently supported only for translations that utilise segmented source texts in Pali (there is currently only one such translation in English by Bhante Sujato).

If you are interested in offline reading of supported translations with the source texts (both Pali and Chinese) you can try and install the PWA here:

Make sure you select ‘Include root texts’.

Again, I believe this currently only works for English?

2 Likes

As much as I know it should work for all languages (one selected language plus root text). But there have been problems, and I am not sure how far they have been solved. If at all, it should work on Chrome browser.

2 Likes

PWA does indeed work for all languages.

1 Like

But unfortunately download still doesn’t work for me. Neither on my laptop (Chrome on Ubuntu) nor on my phone (Chrome on Android). It does all the download procedure, and in the end says “Error. Couldn’t download all files”—or something like that. I tried to download English including parallels and root texts.

thanks! i wish to download the full languages epubs to my cellphone :slight_smile:

It will be nice if you can freely distribute the epubs with Google Play Books and other online library platfrom :grin:

1 Like

I haven’t used those platforms. Is this something anyoe can do, or do we need an “official” account? It would be nice to have something that was regularly updated.

2 Likes

For publishing ebook in Google Play, you have to sign up as publisher to Google Play Books, but unfortunately new publisher sign-ups in the Google Play Books is temporarily closed now :sweat_smile:

https://support.google.com/books/partner/checklist/4489282?hl=en

But luckily I have signed up as publisher years ago and I can help if you want to publish SC ebooks in epub format with my account. :grin:

For other online publishing platform, like Amazon and others, I haven’t try it yet. Perhaps other members here know to do it on other platforms…

5 Likes

Hey, well that sounds great, why not go ahead? You can be the Chief Electronic Book Publishing Officer for SuttaCentral. See, you get a title and everything!

9 Likes

Thanks, but I don’t want a title for that, it’s too excessive :smile:

I will catch up with the publishing Bhante Sujato’s translation ebook on Google Play Books asap and I will inform the progress… :anjal:

7 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: HTML download of entire site